2007 WR450 Performance Mods

314 replies to this topic
  • msgbean

Posted December 09, 2006 - 07:45 PM

The “Gray wire” mod is now the “Blue/White” :

How did you come up with this? There is a grey wire in the 6 pin connector just like all the other WR's and that grey wire goes to ground just like it always has. The blue/white goes to the neutral switch.

• WR 911

Posted December 09, 2006 - 09:32 PM

The Gray wire located at six pin CDI connector is one of two grounds for your ignition. Cutting this might harm or even stop it from working entirely. :worthy: The Blue/white wire simply senses neutral and adjusts the timing curve. You can also disconnect the two pin connector near the neck of the frame (Sky Blue and Blue/White) but will eliminate your neutral safety switch. :D

Correction: The Gray wire mod is for YZ mapping and the Sky Blue wire is for better starting in neutral. Sorry guys!
http://www.thumperfa...m/gray_wire.htm
http://www.thumperfa...m/blue_wire.htm

• msgbean

Posted December 09, 2006 - 10:38 PM

I disagree. I don't ride in neutral so whats the point. Once the bike is in gear the neutral safety switch is bypassed any way. The purpose for disconnecting the grey wire (so it is not grounded) is to advance the ignition timing curve while you are riding it.

• WR 911

Posted December 10, 2006 - 05:09 AM

The neutral safety switch is good. It helps prevents bone heads from starting the bike in gear and doing damage or hurting someone. The ignition curve is lessened when in neutral and (Blue/white wire) connected to help protect the engine from over revving. That’s why it’s not a big deal! :worthy:

• Derwud

Posted December 10, 2006 - 07:15 AM

What size pilot jet are you guys installing?

• WR 911

Posted December 10, 2006 - 08:01 AM

I bumped up my pilot to #48 but have not tested it yet. :worthy:

• ffgman

Posted December 10, 2006 - 01:06 PM

I talked with fmf last week and they said the Q4 will be out in the next week.

• Derwud

Posted December 10, 2006 - 01:59 PM

I talked with fmf last week and they said the Q4 will be out in the next week.

If the Pipe is made to fit the 07 YZF, it should fit the WR as well..

• Derwud

Posted December 10, 2006 - 02:01 PM

I bumped up my pilot to #48 but have not tested it yet. :worthy:

I had a 50 in the tool box so I installed that with the Jet kit, WOW big difference....

• Derwud

Posted December 10, 2006 - 02:43 PM

What is the part in the circle and where do you find it?
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • msgbean

Posted December 10, 2006 - 04:02 PM

What is the part in the circle and where do you find it?

That is the baffle that from the end of the pipe (the other baffle). If you would like a quiet bike with decent power then you can remove this piece. But if you want more power and more noise then you don't need to bother with this piece and just remove the entire main baffle.

• Derwud

Posted December 10, 2006 - 05:17 PM

I installed a Dubach exhaust, so no baffle to mess with..

• Island Boy

Posted December 11, 2006 - 06:01 AM

I am looking at Dubach as well for my 2007 when it arrives. Can you please post a pic of it installed? Thanks

• WR450_Mike

Posted December 11, 2006 - 07:26 AM

Since I had the carb apart i decided to make my own adjustable fuel screw. I took a piece of brass tubing that fits the screw perfectly (don't remember the size of the tubing, 5/52" I think). I drilled a hole in the brass tube to accept a piece of a nail and JB welded it all together

Posted Image

One note of caution. After removing the alunimum plug from the fuel screw hole you will probably find that the fuel screw threads won't go past the lip that held the plug in. I found this out after I put the bowl back on (which is a pain) and the screw wouldn't go in. I had to take the bowl back off and drilled out the hole to remove the lip. Now my adjustable fuel screw works great.

This might work as well. http://ziptyracing.c...spx?id=MTUxNA== I have one on order. Also, 3 bolts on the sub frame and it takes 2 minutes not one. hehe It's all kind of a pain but very worth the effort. I boutght my WR based on the YZ and was very disappointed when I got home. This kit wakes the bike up. I also have the very brand new FMF Q4 muffler. (First bike to have one. FMF dynoed the bike and got another 5 HP out of it with this muffler)

• Derwud

Posted December 11, 2006 - 07:29 AM

I am looking at Dubach as well for my 2007 when it arrives. Can you please post a pic of it installed? Thanks

I will do that. I have to tell you though, if you want an exhaust that is hard to install, don't get the Dubach. It went on so smooth, better than the stock one.

• WR450_Mike

Posted December 11, 2006 - 07:30 AM

I am told that doing that doesn't allow enough back pressure and makes it loud. The noise makes you think you are all fast and powerful when actually you are not.

Thats funny because the kit instructs you to do that. I replaced my whole muffler with an FMF Q4 http://www.fmfracing...?CategoryID=380 which FMF dynoed for me and got an additional 5 HP.

• WR450_Mike

Posted December 11, 2006 - 07:32 AM

Has anybody seen or heard of after market mufflers for the 07 WR450F yet e.g Pro Circuit , FMF etc

Yes. The FMF Q4. http://www.fmfracing...?CategoryID=380

• WR450_Mike

Posted December 11, 2006 - 07:41 AM

Mod 2: The “Gray wire” mod is now the “Blue/White” (Sky blue for everything other than USA) :thumbsup: wire mod. I looked at the wire schematic and found the best place to cut (or pill) the wire is at the CDI unit. The CDI unit has three connectors; you need the connector with three wires. Look for the wire that changes from blue/white to sky blue going to the CDI. Pull out the blue/white wire out of the connector and fold it back into the conduit then electrical tape or silicone it in order to water proof it. This is a good idea if you won’t to change it back to factory or servicing. The second reason is that it will not interfere with the starter circuit at all.

Again, funny. My 2007 WR450F had a GRAY wire which I removed from the connector.

You could probably make your own stuff like this guy. Seems a little easier to just go to your local Yamaha dealer and plop down the $40 for this kit. As to blocking off the exhaust port, I used a short piece of 5/8 inch house and stuffed a cut off bolt in it and clamped it up. However, I will be making one of those plates and installing that as suggested earlier in this thread. The only reason I didn't do it to begin with is the Yamaha dealer did not have new gaskets yet, and I didn't want to render my bike inoperable for a 40 cent part.

• WR 911

Posted December 11, 2006 - 11:30 AM

Once again, know why and what you are cutting from your CDI. :thumbsup: Look at “YOUR” 07 WR450FW service manual. The “Gray” wire is one of two grounds for the CDI unit and is not a mod. There is a link somewhere in this web site where a guy cut the wire and could not get it started afterwards. Here is a link to help educate you. :devil:
http://www.thumperfa...m/blue_wire.htm
Correction for the gray wire mod: http://www.thumperfa...m/gray_wire.htm

• JSanfilippo

Posted December 11, 2006 - 11:48 AM

Thats funny because the kit instructs you to do that. I replaced my whole muffler with an FMF Q4 http://www.fmfracing...?CategoryID=380 which FMF dynoed for me and got an additional 5 HP.

Lets see what this can looks like mounted up on this bike!!!

Also, whats the db level

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.