2007 WR450 Performance Mods

314 replies to this topic
  • sts475

Posted April 24, 2008 - 05:50 PM

Wow! :ride: Sweet bike but it sounds like a real pain to get to the carb!:thumbsup: Cant wait for the EFI model.

I said that on here one time and got a huge dissertation on smog control.
Finally another voice of reason.....

Thanks!

STS.

• todhog

Posted April 26, 2008 - 06:58 PM

Hey guys, my first post here. I got a 07 WR 450 that was left over at a really good price. I rode it once and now its apart in my basement getting some of the mods I've read about here. One of the mods I'm doing is the AIS removal. I ordered the TT AIS removal kit and now I'm wondering what it is exactly that I'm getting. I believe the Yamaha kit comes with some new jets but I don't know about the TT kit. I've already got a 48 pilot jet and that's probably all I'm changing for now. Did the grey wire too. Can anybody give me any details on the AIS kit? Can't wait to get home and ride it next weekend,

Todd

• blue07450

Posted April 27, 2008 - 03:42 PM

what is the grey wire mod ...ive heard but cant find it anywhere on the bike...pics anyone? i have the 07 wr450

• Vanillathunder

Posted April 28, 2008 - 05:23 AM

Hey guys, my first post here. I got a 07 WR 450 that was left over at a really good price. I rode it once and now its apart in my basement getting some of the mods I've read about here. One of the mods I'm doing is the AIS removal. I ordered the TT AIS removal kit and now I'm wondering what it is exactly that I'm getting. I believe the Yamaha kit comes with some new jets but I don't know about the TT kit. I've already got a 48 pilot jet and that's probably all I'm changing for now. Did the grey wire too. Can anybody give me any details on the AIS kit? Can't wait to get home and ride it next weekend,

Todd

Todd, the TT kit comes with very little. You may want to consider returining it for the Yami kit. I believe the TT kit is $35 and the Yami kit runs about $45 at your dealer. The Yami kit comes with several jets, a replacement needle and all of the required plugs. You may or may not need the 48 pilot, you will have to test your setup. I found that the 48 worked better than the 50 on my bike, but I am also at 5700ft and have the Quick Shot II installed.

Do a search in the WR400/426/450 forum on AIS removal and jetting and you should find tons of info. You will also find that removing and installing the alluminium block on the front of the engine is real fun!!:eek:

• Vanillathunder

Posted April 28, 2008 - 05:36 AM

what is the grey wire mod ...ive heard but cant find it anywhere on the bike...pics anyone? i have the 07 wr450

Blue 07450, try the Gray Wire Mod thread. There are pictures as well.

• todhog

Posted April 30, 2008 - 08:16 AM

Thanks Vanilla, I don't really want the extra jets and needle yet. If I get that into it I'll probably get the JD kit. I'm going to ride it some first and see how in runs. I just know from Harley Kehin experince these carbs are lean on the bottom from the factory.

So I take it the TT kit just has the required plugs and case cover? I already removed the AIS and I pulled the front coolant hose to get to it. Not to big a deal. The carb was much worse, my bike looks like sombody rear ended it with a semi right now. Hopefully the kit will arrive soon and I can install it Friday.

Todd

• todhog

Posted April 30, 2008 - 08:20 AM

And Blue, The grey wire thread has great picks that make that mod easy. Pop the white cover behind the airbox cover off and it's the top three wire plug. I had a hard time getting the plug apart but the it's easy after that. Take a tiny screw driver and push the wire out of the plug, pops right out. then put some heat shrink or tape on it and you can put it back to stock if you ever want to.

Todd

• blue07450

Posted April 30, 2008 - 06:05 PM

not legal to do this in california......

• kevinwr450f

Posted April 30, 2008 - 06:11 PM

The fun police have entered the building:eek:

• todhog

Posted April 30, 2008 - 06:31 PM

The fun police have entered the building:eek:

Not legal to do what? Grey wire?

Todd

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JSanfilippo

Posted April 30, 2008 - 10:48 PM

Oh yes, but those laws simply aren't a practical solution for the "big picture" pollution problem.

If you want to ride yours bone stock, go right ahead...

Please, do not try to discourage the other owners from doing whatever they damn well please with their bikes.

I like the boiling frog analogy...it helps describe the bullshit laws in CA. You have two frogs (riders) in a pot right? The stove operator (government) turns up the heat and one frog jumps from the pot (non complier) and into the fire and gets burnt to a crisp and dies. The one that conformed to the heat and remained in the pot gets the heat turned up on him and he ends up boiling to death.

Do you get it? Regardless of whether you comply or not you still end up getting the shaft.

Same thing thats going on with clear creek. The EPA deemed the asbestos risk high and called for summer closures...the BLM complied and a concession was made by the OHV community. Then, over 200 miles of trails and acres of open play areas were closed down...another concession was made by the OHV community. Then the BLM decided it'd be a good idea to start charging a fee...yet another concession was by the OHV community. The final straw was announced today that because of an EPA report published this year about the bogus asbestos report the BLM would shut down all 30,000 acres indefinetely.

All the concessions, fence building, trail maintenence days, and toleration nazi like law enforcement, etc was all in vain. :eek:

• blue07450

Posted May 01, 2008 - 10:23 AM

theres no grey wire in the three prong, at least not on my bike ....the only one is the six pin...i understand this advances the timing to a yz's

• djrevz

Posted May 01, 2008 - 03:03 PM

the six pin plug is were the grey wire should be depending on what year it is

• djrevz

Posted May 01, 2008 - 03:17 PM

JSanfilippo, u should think your self Lucky over her there is nothing, there is small pits which are getting built on for more immigrants to come over and get money from the friggin government so they can sit on there asses while our kind pay them (through tax's)to sit there, the f*****n w***kers,:eek: there is a lot of back roads down here and a few green lanes what are nothing to talk about then u have 2 go up north like 100 miles plus to get awesome land,

there is a reasonable amount of good places around here but the government has called them all wildlife areas so we cant take our bikes on them anymore, i think it was all these stuck up rich, unhappy, selfish and jealous folks that started it all off with the good land

• sts475

Posted May 01, 2008 - 06:24 PM

theres no grey wire in the three prong, at least not on my bike ....the only one is the six pin...i understand this advances the timing to a yz's

At the risk of being illegal..... Take the air injection tube and get yourself a piece of 3/16th scrap aluminum plate and trace the flange and holes with a sharp pick. Cut close to the outline with a jigsaw and drill the holes. Bolt it up to the flange on the tube and use a grinder or file to make it match. That's what I did. Done in 20 minutes. Another method is to use a small freeze plug from an auto parts store that fits into the head or the tube tightly and reinstall the tube so no one knows it's inoperable unless they remove it. There are not presently any emissions dynamometers setup to test motorcycles under load that I know of the state using. If you get a smog inspection required in your registration renewal, start to worry. The gray wire is on the ignition module behind the left rear number plate, there is only one. Cut or remove it, either works. Just make sure to wrap it good or seal the hole in the connector and make it waterproof. Make sure you change the jetting to compensate. I use a 172 main, and 06 yz450 needle, a 48 pilot and a 51 leak jet. It's a pain to work on the carb so make records of your changes and make them count. Where I ride, they only care about registration and spark arresters. Look out when going to city / county parks. They inspect.

Good Luck!

STS.

• todhog

Posted May 02, 2008 - 05:44 PM

Just an update on my bike. I got the TT AIS removal kit and Pro Moto tail pipe this week and installed everything today.

When I opened the AIS removal kit I was less than impressed. $34 for three pieces and a gasket? There can't be $5 worth of stuff there and I thought I would at least get a new throttle stop with the kit. So I installed everything and shortened my throttle stop which was no big deal. Everything fit good and worked right so I guess I'm happy. I don't know why it comes with a plug for the side of the case, a rubber cap over the existing part would do fine. The new plug wasn't a tight fit either so it's just glued in with blue RTV. Hope it stays in.

The new tail pipe went right on and I didn't look for the instructions till I fired it up and they shot across the garage! They were rolled up in the pipe. Sounds good now. I also put a #48 pilot jet in and she fired right up and idled smoothly. I'm taking her out for a good ride tomorrow and get her broken in. Let you know how it goes.

Todd

• todhog

Posted May 04, 2008 - 09:37 PM

OK, rode the bike about half a day yesterday and I found it can be scary fast without even opening the throttle all the way. I like going fast but some of the places this thing gets going fast in are kinda hairy. I think these minor mods are about all you need unless your a really good rider. Funny, all I want ed was a bike to ride in the woods with my son. Now I've got a monster! I've got to get this thing fully broken in so I can really whack the throttle.

Todd

• mxjd19

Posted September 09, 2008 - 08:43 PM

do you have a pic of where the leak jet is? thanks

• KennyMc

Posted September 09, 2008 - 09:58 PM

do you have a pic of where the leak jet is? thanks

Here you go...

Posted Image

• jackbauer

Posted December 12, 2008 - 06:32 AM

Just found and joined TT today and my prayers have been answered. Rode my wr450 everyday for last 2 months in Clark Kent mode and only just found out its actually Superman. Unplugged the gray wire, shortened the throttle stop and whipped off the peashooter and its a monster. Cost me zero to do and maybe 30 minutes to transform. WOW! My access to mail order parts or dealers is none existent out here in Africa so these mods are perfect. Cheers guys.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.