2007 WR450 Performance Mods

314 replies to this topic
  • tonymillertnt

Posted October 04, 2007 - 08:44 PM

Following all the mods, is anyone STILL experiencing the stumble/hesitation just off idle when launching this machine? I've researched other threads, & a few guys have disconnected the black/blue/&yellow TPS connector below the left side fuel tank which apparently fixes the low end accelleration stumble???

Does a Power Now fix the problem? I used one on my 2003 and it kicked butt. Does it still work?

• chakcee

Posted October 04, 2007 - 09:22 PM

You get the o-ring for the accelerator pump with a james dean jet kit if you was going to jet it. I did the jet kit and installed the power now valve at the same time so I don't know what did the most to cure the lag but after both were installed mine went from wimpy bog off idle to standing straight up and down with the slightest twist of the throttle.

• lvcta21

Posted October 05, 2007 - 11:01 AM

JSanfilippo
I'm a bit of a carb novice here. Is this to shim the linkage to take up some slack? Could you tell me where the AC pump arm is located. Thanks.

• clark4131

Posted October 05, 2007 - 11:47 AM

The AP linkage is located behind the plate that covers the throttle connection. Just follow the throttle cables and you'll find it...SC

• CORider63

Posted October 05, 2007 - 12:55 PM

As delivered by Yamaha, the Accelerator Pump arm only moves as fast as the leak jets / AP jets allow. This means that it can "lag" behind the throttle slide. The o-ring wraps around the Accelerator Pump arm and the Throttle Slide arm to essentially "tie" the two together so that the AP moves in more of an instantaneous fashion with throttle changes.

• lvcta21

Posted October 05, 2007 - 01:22 PM

Great info guys! Would you recommend leaving the stock needle and jets alone? I had ordered the 07 GYTR AIS removal kit GYT-5TJ93-69-01 and am now wishing that I held off on that.....

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 05, 2007 - 02:31 PM

Great info guys! Would you recommend leaving the stock needle and jets alone? I had ordered the 07 GYTR AIS removal kit GYT-5TJ93-69-01 and am now wishing that I held off on that.....

Richen it up with the jets provided in the kit or check out the jetting forum for your regional data (elevation, temp, etc...) either way, in stock form my opinion is they are too lean :confused:

• lvcta21

Posted October 06, 2007 - 12:33 PM

Here's another mystery question. My owner's service manual states that bike needs 95 octane or higher. I know it's a high compression engine, but does this sound right? The highest octane pump gas is usually around 91.

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 06, 2007 - 12:57 PM

Here's another mystery question. My owner's service manual states that bike needs 95 octane or higher. I know it's a high compression engine, but does this sound right? The highest octane pump gas is usually around 91.

I run 92, pump gas year round in WA state... no problems:thumbsup:

• Morty

Posted October 06, 2007 - 01:27 PM

That is a diferent rating system than used here in North america their 95 equals 91 here, asked my dealer the same question....I use 94 but 92 will work just fine....if you notice detonation/or knocking then go higher octane.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lvcta21

Posted October 06, 2007 - 01:38 PM

Ah! I knew something didn't seem right. Thanks for the info!

• Mauidirtrider

Posted December 28, 2007 - 09:08 PM

OK all you WR450 owners! I just got the 08 model. I've read several pages of different posts but have not seen anyone that has used a F2 Powerback kit. Has anyone used this on their machine and is it worth the money? I know its been a couple of months since anyone's posted anything......

• Tonson

Posted December 28, 2007 - 10:54 PM

For those who have yet to install the AIS removal kit on their '08 WR450F and wondering if an '07 kit fits - I Just installed TT AIS kit for an '07 on my '08 WR450. Along with the included instructions, I followed the great pictorial tutorial on this for a '06 which I recommend as a picture paints a thousand words (http://www.thumperta...ht=AIS tutorial) and found a few minor differences that '08 owners may not be aware of.

1/- The battery doesn't need disconnecting as the Airbox hose plug is on the left side( gear shift) on top of the airbox.
2/- The AIS unit is mounted to the the frame under the tank on the RIGHT SIDE in front of the engine.
The LH side AIS pipe allen bolt near the Exhaust is impossible to get at without disconnecting the Radiator hose that obstructs access to this bolt. You don't need to drain the radiator If once you have slackened the jubilee clip you can manage to quickly pull off the hose and raise it above the the top hose connector and zip tie it up there. You'll only lose a small amount of coolant that will require topping up. Once the Allen bolts are loosened they are easier to remove using your fingers.

Other than that its a snip, if a little fiddly around the exhaust. Total time taken 1 hour including re-assembly and no-one would ever describe me as a mechanic!!

A big thanks to TT Shop for adding Oman to its list of countries it ships to.http://www.thumperta...es/applause.gif

• wild west al

Posted December 30, 2007 - 12:48 AM

went for a ride a few weeks back with 2 blokes on new wr 450 07 models was amazed to watch someone who normally doesnt do much wheel standing lifting the front wheel to balance point at 60mph in top gear with only the restrictors taken from the oem muffler.

• ram jam

Posted December 30, 2007 - 08:04 AM

ok, so which colored wire on the 07 wr 450 needs cut? gray, dark gray or blue and white

• erickdj

Posted December 30, 2007 - 09:26 AM

ok, so which colored wire on the 07 wr 450 needs cut? gray, dark gray or blue and white

gray wire. located behind the left number plate. It doesn't need to be cut, it can be removed from the connector and taped up with electrical tape. Do a search, there's a thread with a picture of the wire on the 07 WR.

• ram jam

Posted December 30, 2007 - 09:55 AM

thanks

• CORider63

Posted December 30, 2007 - 06:51 PM

I received some REAL free mods with my '07 WR-450.

As part of the dealer prep, they cut the throttle stop screw, pulled out the inner exhaust tube, removed the Gray Wire, and rejetted it. (According to the mechanic, the Gray Wire removal was part of their normal prep instructions.)

(Just wanted you to be aware that there is a chance that the Gray Wire MAY have already been removed from it's connector.)

• mxer1965

Posted January 04, 2008 - 12:51 AM

Ok, I've read through a ton of posts after I've made my 07 WR run like a raped ape. I listened to my buddy that used to work for TMR, then White Bros, and now he works for Bubba's kawi team. I know, I called him a trator too. HA HA. Gota do what you gota do though.

Enough BS. This is what I did to my WR. Keep in mind I jumped from a CRF450 to a WR450 in September of 2007. I got a little over 1,900 miles on it so far and I love that push button start.

Engine mods:
1. Install YZ Throttle stop screw. $15
2. Remove gray wire from connector
3. Made my own AIS block off plate from stainless steal stock. $0
4. White Bro's XCR slip on muffler. It's legal @ 96db with spark arrestor. $200 plus some beer my cost. Would have cost me $300 for average joe.
5. Wire tie fuel pump linkage. $0
6. Rejet with a 145 main and 48 pilot. No snap throttle bog what so ever. (4500-12,000 ft.) $15
7. Re-route crankcase breather to match the 07 YZ. (Buy new hose!) $25
8. Install six 1" airbox breathers. I also cut the stock rubber boot inside the airbox out. Removing it completely only allows more sagebrush crap in.

Other mods:
1. Scott's stabilizer because the WR needs it. Never needed it on CRF. $450
2. IMS gas tank. $200 - Yes, you have to buy YZ shrouds.
3. Cycra Pro bend handguards. $140

All in all, you don't have to spend a lot of money to make the 07 WR run like a YZ. A lot of people say to lean the bikes out but in reality, they need to be richer. These bikes love the fuel.
I changed the crankcase breather because the airbox was creating a vacuum and sucking engine oil into it do to extended periods of 3rd & 4th gear pinned whooped single track. I no longer have the airbox lubricating my chain. Matter of fact, I don't lose any oil via the breather anymore.

Hope this helps some of you throttle junkies.

• SXP

Posted January 04, 2008 - 07:50 AM

6. Rejet with a 145 main

You do mean a 165, right?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.