Shifting on a 07 yz450.

32 replies to this topic
  • YZ250F_Rider

Posted November 20, 2006 - 06:15 PM

That sounds just like a typical YZ from way back, doesn't it? The notchiness going over neutral was one of the first things I noticed about our 250F.

yes it does. I never did grind the star wheel on the 250's as it didnt take a lot to make sure you stood on it to shift it down. I will see how these play out, and maybe see if factory performance offers one for the 450. They have them for a lot of others.
http://www.factorypr...actory_Pro.html

• Reyndogg

Posted November 21, 2006 - 07:44 AM

My '06 exhibits none of those traits.

same here.

mine shifts fine under full power. i keep it wot and just a quick stab of the clutch and flick of my foot and she's up a gear...quite easily.

• Captaincautious7

Posted November 21, 2006 - 06:42 PM

I have about 7hrs and two oil changes and so far no problems at all. Shifting has been excellent as of now.

• TooFast

Posted November 22, 2006 - 07:11 AM

Sounds like clutch drag- I'd try running as little freeplay as possible in the clutch

• NOMADAK

Posted November 22, 2006 - 08:55 AM

same here.

mine shifts fine under full power. i keep it wot and just a quick stab of the clutch and flick of my foot and she's up a gear...quite easily.

I have a '06 450F too, I will raise my hand too, no problems shifting here at all. :cheers: :p

• SoZo

Posted November 22, 2006 - 10:52 AM

they did change the clutch on the 07... probably the suspect.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Foxman06

Posted November 22, 2006 - 12:07 PM

Not the clutch but the angle of the clutch lever

Posted November 22, 2006 - 02:27 PM

I've got maybe 7hrs on mine and although I can't recall any shifting problems -I'm trying to figure out just how often I shift from 4th to 5th on the track... you boys must be riding some wide open texas tracks...

• Twig323

Posted November 22, 2006 - 06:41 PM

Dude sorry to say that the 06 does the same thing. Maybe it a Yamaha trait. Its especially hard to find nuetral.

neutral deffinately is hard to grasp

• aford541

Posted November 22, 2006 - 11:15 PM

Both the 06 and 07 are consistent.

The 06 shifted like crap till it got 20+ hours on it and the 07 is shifting like crap right now but is sensitive to oil changes.

I am going thorugh the gears weather I need to or not when I am riding the bike around to try and break the bike in faster and get it to shift better like the 06 did.

• Huckster

Posted November 25, 2006 - 02:59 PM

Rode my '07 for the first time today and the shifting was Brutal....It almost felt like something was wrong or broken inside, it was so hard. I hope like heck it loosens up once its broken in and I replace the oil. I only rode for about 1hr and it was on wet clay, felt like ice, but after coming off a RMZ, I can say it felt lighter, didnt seem to want to turn as well, may have been the conditions, and the shifting really bothered me. I hope I didnt make a mistake.

• never59

Posted November 25, 2006 - 03:43 PM

I just rode my 07 for the first time this week and i had no problems with shifting at all

• mummer12

Posted November 26, 2006 - 12:21 PM

I have had no problems shifting on my 06, finding neutral is a SOB sometimes. 1st to 2nd i hit neutral sometimes in single track but i think it is operator error.:worthy:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.