Do I need an air inlet cover? And grunge brushes?

5 replies to this topic
  • NM_KDX200

Posted November 20, 2006 - 10:45 AM

1) I want to wash my air box out.

Do I need a Twin Air or similar air box washing cover, or can I put a plastic bag over the installed filter? On my KDX, I once tried using just the plastic bag over the filter cage (w/out the filter) and um....that didn't work too well!!! It was a mess and I ended up having to remove and clean water out of everything from the air box to the KIPS cover.

2) Do "grunge brushes" work well enough for cleaning chains to justify the cost?

I'm trying to keep my new bike "new". :cheers: Sigh.....

• XR250rdr

Posted November 20, 2006 - 11:52 AM

If I'm going to do more than wipe it out I just unbolt the subframe and take the airbox off.

• steve_97060

Posted November 20, 2006 - 12:04 PM

The grunge brush is just ok..good idea but the bristles just aren't strong enough to do a really good job...I use it to do a first cleaning, then use a wire brush to finish up and get it really clean...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 20, 2006 - 12:22 PM

If you use a chain lube with less tendency to collect stuff, the job will be easier. I use Maxima's "Synthetic Chain Guard" (this is NOT their rather disappointing Chain Wax). SCG has a very low tackiness, and washes away with a garden hose and Simple Green, leaving the chain reasonably clean. Once it dries, I relube it, and I'm done.

• NM_KDX200

Posted November 20, 2006 - 12:33 PM

SCG has a very low tackiness, and washes away with a garden hose and Simple Green, leaving the chain reasonably clean.

I'll try SCG. I've been using Chain Wax and don't have any real problems with it but if you like SCG, it's worth checking out.

Now, what about the air box? How do you clean yours? I'd like to keep it spanky clean and that means every ride (New Mexico can be a dusty place...) and since I ride 2-3x a week removing the airbox each time is too much work.

• grayracer513

Posted November 20, 2006 - 02:58 PM

If you insist on cleaning it that often, get an inlet cover, such as the Twin Air product. I don't worry that much about it. I wipe it down with a rag and some solvent, or spray it off with carb spray no and then. Having it super clean doesn't do that much to protect the engine, really. To keep the inside of teh air box from getting my clean filters dirt during the installation, and vice versa, for that matter, I put the filter in a plastic grocery bag until it's mostly in position, then pull the bag off and screw it down.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.