Help With WR450F

8 replies to this topic
  • pobenda

Posted November 19, 2006 - 11:13 PM

My WR450F electric starter is acting up. Anyone know what is wrong when I press the electric start I can hear the relay going but it won't start the engine. Anyone know what could be wrong?

• snottygobble

Posted November 19, 2006 - 11:20 PM

Hi pobenda,
my ttr does that when the battery is low on charge,
My 2c.
Cheers, Craig.

• pobenda

Posted November 19, 2006 - 11:30 PM

That was my first guess but I charged the battery and put in a different battery to see if that was the problem but it did the same and didn't start.

• bg10459

Posted November 20, 2006 - 06:40 AM

The early WR starters ('03, '04) commonly went bad. Something about shorted windings. Try removing it and cleaning it, and maybe looking for shorts in the windings, which would require stripping the formvar and re-soldering.
You may just need a new one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted November 20, 2006 - 10:49 AM

I am on my second starter on my 03. It had the same issue and it was intermittent at first and slowly got worse over 6 months. Finally the motor could not turn over the engine anymore. I beleive you can buy the brushes and clean & rebuild the motor for a lot less than the price of a new one. I dont think the windings were damaged :cheers:

• pobenda

Posted November 20, 2006 - 10:11 PM

It was running fine until a tree branch hit my handguards back and got the ignition button stuck making my starter crank when my bike was running. It was on for about 15 seconds. After I stopped to fix it then my electric start wouldn't crank but I can hear the relay clicking. Do you think I have to buy a whole new starter or change the brushes?

• pobenda

Posted November 22, 2006 - 11:24 PM

Anyone know if this is a simple fix or should I just buy a new starter motor?

• WR DO

Posted November 25, 2006 - 10:54 PM

Mine just started doing it too so I will be working on it tomorrow. I will post back with my findings tomorrow.

Dan

• WR DO

Posted November 26, 2006 - 11:50 AM

It looks like there are a couple common problems with the 03 starting systems. On my bike if the starter doesnt crank over I can put the bike in gear and rock it the starter will work again. It seams like there is a dead spot in it.

http://www.thumperta...d.php?t=303319

I think I am going to consider doing the 03 to 04 starter mod.

http://wr450.com/photos_frame_full.htm

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.