question about 2007 shock body

6 replies to this topic
  • kyle450rider

Posted November 19, 2006 - 08:54 PM

Is it normal to have a little play in the whole unit when they are new.I guess i have never noticed any play in them when they are new but have always ended up with some as i got more hours on it.The bike has only been ridden about 4 times.I hope that i dont have to rebuild anything.

• kyle450rider

Posted November 20, 2006 - 04:08 PM

anybody?Do i need to order a rebuild kit?

• grayracer513

Posted November 20, 2006 - 04:11 PM

"A little play" is a kind of nebulous term. How much play? What are you doing to be able to see the play? Inquiring minds....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kyle450rider

Posted November 20, 2006 - 04:50 PM

If you grab the resevoir and wiggle it back and forth you can feel some movement in it.My question is that normal?I have never checked a new bike before this.

• grayracer513

Posted November 20, 2006 - 04:59 PM

If you are grabbing it by the reservoir, you are probably just rotating the shock in it's bearings. The shock bearings are ball ended bearings like the ends of high end rod joints, and they can pivot to some degree. If what you are doing is rotating the entire shock, that's normal.

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted November 20, 2006 - 06:20 PM

both of ours have no play when you wiggle the resevoir. About 8 hours on one and zero on the other.

• grayracer513

Posted November 21, 2006 - 09:31 AM

It isn't really "free" play, like anything is actually loose, or has clearance in it, but if you push it some, you can normally cause the shock to rotate slightly on its spherical bearings by pushing the reservoir forward or backward.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.