HID conversion kit

13 replies to this topic
  • iestrada

Posted November 19, 2006 - 12:18 PM

Has anyone tried one of those HID conversion kits that are in the market?

About 2 years ago I changed from the stock light to the 55W H3 bulb with the glass headlight (i`ve got a stock stator). Last week browsing the web i found a web page that sells HID conversion kits for H3 bulbs for around 150 bucks. They claim no stator rewound is required... Is very tempting

Any one has advice on this?

2003 XR650R

• snaggleXR650

Posted November 19, 2006 - 01:24 PM

HID replacements are usually around 35W draw, while providing considerably more light output, say 70+ watts (don't quote me on that). Anyway, yes, a HID replacement is great other than the cost. At $150 that sounds pretty good though, go for it and send us before/after pics. :cheers:

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted November 19, 2006 - 04:50 PM

How about posting up the link for us.

• loufish

Posted November 19, 2006 - 06:29 PM

Your XR puts out 12v A/C...the conversion kit needs 12 volts D/C....No worky....
I have thought about this myself as I also have the 55 watt glass replacement light. We need to install a regulator/rectifier that will convert the 12 volts from a/c to d/c, I could use this to run my onboard GPS also. Maybe Baja Designs has a rectifier??

• iestrada

Posted November 19, 2006 - 10:26 PM

thats a good point, thanks lou

the link is www.buyhidkit.com in case any of you guys wants to check it out

• CrashTestDummyTraveler

Posted November 20, 2006 - 05:03 AM

There is somebody selling rectifier/regulators on eBay that they say come from Baja Designs.

I got one for $10.50 plus shipping... emailed and asked, sold me two more for same price, no extra shipping (I got LOTS of bikes).

Cheap enough....

• snaggleXR650

Posted November 20, 2006 - 06:43 AM

Roger that, regulator/rectifier combo units are commonly available from Baja Designs and Ricky Stator as well as from other places. They are made by Tympanium and are rated at 150W. It's not so important for lights, but typically the rectified DC voltage is still a bit "wavy," or dirty. Hooking a small battery pack or even a large capacity after the rectifier filters out the "wavy" and gives you nice clean DC that can be also used to run GPS, digital speedos, etc...

Another possible option, for you cheap skates and experimenters, is to buy a "full wave bridge rectifier" from Radio Shack, Digi Key, Mouser etc... and wire it in after your stock regulator. This combination of stock regulator and bridge rectifer is equivalent to the combination units mentioned above. These bridge rectifiers are usually very cheap... Something to consider.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • eastreich

Posted November 20, 2006 - 06:49 AM

This company also does HID conversions. http://www.fashtek.com/ Go to the products section to see (scroll down there and they have specific kits for bikes). A friend of mine just purchased one of these kits for his WR450 and is so far very happy with the unit.

• loufish

Posted November 20, 2006 - 04:31 PM

Roger that, regulator/rectifier combo units are commonly available from Baja Designs and Ricky Stator as well as from other places. They are made by Tympanium and are rated at 150W. It's not so important for lights, but typically the rectified DC voltage is still a bit "wavy," or dirty. Hooking a small battery pack or even a large capacity after the rectifier filters out the "wavy" and gives you nice clean DC that can be also used to run GPS, digital

I'm not sure how "choppy" the DC can be and still not have a negitive effect on a HID lighting system. I noticed on their (Baja Designs)website if you buy a HID for a bike that is "Kickstart" it comes with a reg/rec and is $50 more then a E-Start bike.

• motochris

Posted November 21, 2006 - 04:19 PM

I'm not sure how "choppy" the DC can be and still not have a negitive effect on a HID lighting system. I noticed on their (Baja Designs)website if you buy a HID for a bike that is "Kickstart" it comes with a reg/rec and is $50 more then a E-Start bike.

It also comes with a small battery pack. Got one on my 650R

• sportbiker929

Posted November 22, 2006 - 06:40 AM

I bought a pair off of ebay for my RC51 and boy are they bright. To use thewm on an XR you need to get a rectifier and wire it all up.

Easy

• eastreich

Posted November 22, 2006 - 07:23 AM

I bought a pair off of ebay for my RC51 and boy are they bright. To use thewm on an XR you need to get a rectifier and wire it all up.

Easy

You also need to add a battery. The ignition arc of the HID takes up way more juice than your stator alone (after rectification) can keep up with. The battery (or a big capacitor) is necessary to provide this power.

With a voltmeter attached to my battery, I see 13.4V at idle, but as soon as I hit the button to turn on my HID it will drop to well below 8V. Even with a high output stator and revving the bike up, it will still drop past 9V. Once the candle is lit, it happily purrs along at 13.4V again. It is just that initial fit from the HID ignitor that takes all the energy.

• iestrada

Posted November 22, 2006 - 10:44 AM

So, in sum, i'll need:
- the conversion kit
- a rectifier and a regulator
- a small battery pack (i suppose it goes parallel with the rectifier/regulator right?)

My other concern is the mounting of the ballast, do you think vibration will have a negative effect on its life span?

I Belive in the TKT Light the ballast is mounted in the number plate, is the battery pack also mounted there?

• eastreich

Posted November 22, 2006 - 12:49 PM

So, in sum, i'll need:
- the conversion kit
- a rectifier and a regulator
- a small battery pack (i suppose it goes parallel with the rectifier/regulator right?)

My other concern is the mounting of the ballast, do you think vibration will have a negative effect on its life span?

I Belive in the TKT Light the ballast is mounted in the number plate, is the battery pack also mounted there?

Baja desings has the wiring diagram for this setup online. Here is a link to the page. http://www.bajadesig...acelighting.htm

I'm not sure on the longevity of the ballast, but I would still use a rubber or isolated mount for it. I'm sure that is why it is on the back of the headlight shell, as they are usually rubber strapped to the fork tubes.

On the 650s, you have a couple of choices for the battery pack mounting. I have seen the small battery packs placed under the seat which can get really tight if you also have the rectifier under there. I have mounted them under the fuel tank: zip tied to the frame just above and behind the intake valve rocker arm cover. You can also build a little bracket to mount the battery to the tabs on the back of the right side radiator (where the CA 'octopus' system would be mounted). If you have the twin HID race light setup from BD, this is where they mount the ballast. I built a little bracket and mounted the battery above the motor (right below the carb). I have never seen the battery also mounted behind the head light shell, but I suppose that it could be done.

If you have a forward mounted Scotts or GPR, you will probably will not be able to mount anything behind the headlight, as the stabilizer mount/arm will be in the way.

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.