Where is the WR650 dual sport?

12 replies to this topic
  • The Italian Stallion

Posted November 19, 2006 - 07:56 AM

Ok I am a motohead at heart but on the occasional Sunday[after a night of drinking to much vino] jumping on my YZ450 and blasting down a whooped out downhill is not very apealing.so on these kind of days I jump on my conv XR650R how come yamaha does't make a machine like this? Tons of peaple are conv 450 MXers because the factorys keep making these pregnant horses that have not changed since the 70s!Why isn't the XR R model come street legal from the factory? I mean how many people ride the freaking Baja 1000!.this has been the issue with dual sports for years Look at all these DS convr companies we have now? Imagine a 700 rapter engine in a Yzf style chassis! and all the DS fixins. with optional factory 17in rims? This machine is long overdue and would generrate more interest in dirt biking in all disaplins. They have yzf comercials on basic cable across north america IMO they are not needed MOto guys are a rare breed. How many guys 30 to 50 [The ones with the $$$] can relate to doing 70ft triples? and does he all the sudden want to race moto? buy a truck to cart it around,and jion a club just to go riding? Now picture the WR700DS comercial.In the woods ,on the road,power sliding on a dirt road. parked on a moutain looking down at the scenery.that would spark the guy on the fence.and befor you know it he is buying his kids ttr50s, ayz450 for himself.because the 700 is a little much to chase the kids on .Sorry for the long post us wops like to shoot the shit!

• Wasabi

Posted November 19, 2006 - 07:57 AM

WR650F? I'd get one!

• The Italian Stallion

Posted November 19, 2006 - 08:10 AM

WR650F? I'd get one!

OK Im gonna fly to Japan and have a talk with the guy in the Armani and the cigarrette holder! lol

• Wasabi

Posted November 19, 2006 - 08:20 AM

I just hope the CRF600X rumors are true. Too bad it is red and not blue.....

• Cirus

Posted November 19, 2006 - 08:29 AM

WR650F? I'd get one!

Same here! After having 4 sportbikes in the last 5 years I long to have a bike that I can take to the highway with yet if i see a gravel road that looks interesting head that way also. A GSXR and gravel don't mix plus having the self control to keep my hand out of the throttle was getting hard to do. After selling the YZF and getting a WR I see a second bike in the future and it's not a sportbike.

• boer

Posted November 19, 2006 - 08:41 AM

Imagine that 700 raptor engine on a dirtbike.........

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wasabi

Posted November 19, 2006 - 09:20 AM

Imagine that 700 raptor engine on a dirtbike.........

Something close. Very close.
http://www.yamaha-mo...29&modelcatid=2

• Gadsen

Posted November 19, 2006 - 10:06 AM

If it was a dual sport from Yamaha, it would be called the XT650

• The Italian Stallion

Posted November 19, 2006 - 12:48 PM

If it was a dual sport from Yamaha, it would be called the XT650

To retro man! they need to move forward with the name like honda did. when you see yzf or wr you think tough raceing machine lets not put the rad back on the handlebars! lol

• MountainMax

Posted November 19, 2006 - 12:59 PM

yeah, they have the same unit for sale in Europe, but basically the same HP as our 450's, they need a full out WR650, i would buy one in a heartbeat

http://www.yamaha-mo...ture/xt660r.jsp

Posted Image

• The Italian Stallion

Posted November 19, 2006 - 01:44 PM

Same here! After having 4 sportbikes in the last 5 years I long to have a bike that I can take to the highway with yet if i see a gravel road that looks interesting head that way also. A GSXR and gravel don't mix plus having the self control to keep my hand out of the throttle was getting hard to do. After selling the YZF and getting a WR I see a second bike in the future and it's not a sportbike.

Ya know that was my delema I had the sport bikes .but i was tired of leaning on my hands plus i was gonna lose my friggin licence! So I got a Harley more laid back, easy on my back And I did,t have to dress like Buck Rodgers! It has its places but gets a little boring somtimes as you would imagine So I added one more to the stable the XR650R and the thing is a pig I have the HRc piston and cam and I go buy my harley buddies on the back wheel at 100mph! This bike gets the most use of them all.I have to think how bettr can a 650 get? but the XR is not a new style high reving engine and yamaha makes a hammer of one and the XR resembles a 1985 CR500 [I had one] in the looks dept I don;t want a 90% sreet bike I want a 90% dirt bike that I can ride on the road and cruise at 80 mph and still take a beating off road.

• baha

Posted November 20, 2006 - 12:18 AM

Problem is the shown euro stuff are PIGS!!!!
171 KG is nearing 400 pounds!!
Take a standard WR, increase tank size to 3 gallons. Place 700
motor in it. 5 inch rear and 3.5 front by 17 and a front rotor and hub off a
sport bike or even a dual disc set up. Keep the weight at the current WR 450
weight and you will have one great street SM bike.

• dom426

Posted November 20, 2006 - 02:35 AM

Now thats a bike id own.. :cheers: :p :bonk:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.