Baja Designs Kit???

10 replies to this topic
  • glen06

Posted January 15, 2001 - 08:25 AM

Sorry if this was covered I am new. Does anyone use the baja kit to make there WR400/426 street legal? How do you like it?
Does it hold up to off road abuse?
I am thinking of getting a new WR426 and I would like to dual sport it. I am looking for real life users of these dual sport kits.
Thanks in advance
Glen
1980 YZ250

• Heywood

Posted January 15, 2001 - 01:02 PM

Welcome!

I have the BD kit and am very satisfied with it. If I had to do it again, I would probably buy the pieces and build it up myself, but I wouldn't feel that way without the education I got from installing the BD kit. It took me two days from the time I got the kit to having a plate in my hand. I've modified mine a little to make the lights and turn signals, etc. easy to remove. I leave the batteries, switches and electronics on the bike.

I have subject my bike to some serious off road abuse and the only problem I have had is with the turn signals. The ones on the rear are always getting kicked and broken. I have figured out a way to repair them. I slid a small metal tube in the hole where the wire goes and krazy glue them back together. I take them off when I am not running on the street.

Check your VIN number on the frame, some states (if you are in the USA) have problems issuing a plate if there is a "3" or "C" as the eighth digit.

[This message has been edited by Heywood (edited 01-15-2001).]

• robin_des_bois

Posted January 15, 2001 - 02:04 PM

Welcome glen...

...to the wonderful world of dual-sporting with a wr400. I had 2 xr650l and one klx 650 and the wr400 is a total different better world everywhere! The wr400 is the best machine you can have to do both on and off road.

As for the Baja kit, try to get the plan from somebody here if you're a good do-it-yourself guy (sorry, i'm french and cannot find the real worrd!!!). If not, the baja kit is really straight forward and easy to install.

• Luke

Posted January 15, 2001 - 02:25 PM

What state are you in. I live in Michigan and I got away with out the blinkers and battery. Some states arn't as strick as others

KLX300

• Mark_M

Posted January 15, 2001 - 03:53 PM

I ditto what Heywood said. I have the full kit but have replaced several rear signals - they seem brittle in cold weather. It also took me about 3 or 4 evenings to install... Alot of work. If I had it to do over I would have just gotton the lic plate bracket and hydraulic switch for brake light... I'm in KY and in my county you can license anything.... they just want the fees...
Mark

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • darbsitton

Posted January 15, 2001 - 08:17 PM

I'm waiting for my kit, but my dad has a KLX 300 and 650 with the kits and has many off road miles. Only problem was rear turn signals. He replaced them with some units that mount flush with the fender and don't stick out. Chaparrel has these. Mounted this way they are at the legal limit for distance between lights.

Footnote: I could probably fix up the kit cheaper since I have my dads instructions, but I value the advice/work that Baja has done and decided to cough up the cash to support their efforts.

• glen06

Posted January 16, 2001 - 03:53 AM

Originally posted by Luke:
What state are you in. I live in Michigan and I got away with out the blinkers and battery. Some states arn't as strick as others

KLX300

Thanks for all the information BD sounds like
they have a good kit going plus there is nothing like the WR for offroad use. I am from Pa. has anyone done the conversion for PA.
Glen

• c2

Posted January 16, 2001 - 06:47 AM

I'm from PA and just had my wr dual-sported. The ease of getting it legal really depends on the shop. My shop let me by without a mirror or D.O.T. tires.

Originally posted by glen06:

Originally posted by Luke:

KLX300

Thanks for all the information BD sounds like
they have a good kit going plus there is nothing like the WR for offroad use. I am from Pa. has anyone done the conversion for PA.
Glen

• Tree_Crippler

Posted January 16, 2001 - 07:01 AM

C2 I'm from Williamsport what shop did yours? I'm just starting to buy Dual Sport stuff. What kind of speedo do you have?

• c2

Posted January 16, 2001 - 07:12 AM

Crippler,
I'm very familiar with Williamsport. Went to Penn Tech. and have friends and family that live in the 'Port. I live outside of Gettysburg and use a local shop here. I'm using some cheapo speedometer the shop provided but I'm definately gonna go with the topeak.

Originally posted by Tree Crippler:
C2 I'm from Williamsport what shop did yours? I'm just starting to buy Dual Sport stuff. What kind of speedo do you have?

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted January 16, 2001 - 08:14 AM

I am from Tunkhannock Pa, near Wilkes-Barre. I dual sported a YZ400. It all depends on what title you have. I had a off road title so I had to send my title to Harrisburg (several times) to get a rebuilt motorcycle title. The inspection station I went to wanted one mirror, a speedo (I used a bicycle speedo from Wal-Mart), blinkers, brake light, headlight, horn, but didn't care about tires. I called Riders World first and they wanted everything from tires to a chain guard. I purchased mot of the stuff from BD, but I made the wiring harness, bought smaller blinkers, and used a switch from a street bike.

Hope this helps
Nick

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.