Ride Report - YZ450 (06) from WR450 (06)

8 replies to this topic
  • twenty34

Posted November 18, 2006 - 09:21 PM

So I made the move from a WR to the YZ and boy what a nice surprise.
Wow, this this bike (YZ) handles great, the engine pulls like a tractor and the thing turns so much better than the WR.

While I've read how light the YZ is supposed to feel, that really wasn't so noticable to be honest. What stood out was the engine, the turning prowess and the absolutely solid, planted feeling this bike provides in comparison.

I wish I could have compared with the CRF 450, but I have a big smile on my face with the YZ. Just flick it into any corner, roll the throttle and it just hooks up. The confidence this bike provides in corners really surprised me as I've read all the articles about the YZ not being the best turning bike of the 450's. Maybe not the best, but certainly gave me more confidence than I've had in a while. The bike feels rock solid coming out of corners and the power deilvery is deliberate and strong. Like I stated earlier, this bike literally pulls out of corners like a tractor. Just keep rolling on the throttle and the bike just keep pulling.

Thought I'd posts to anyone considering a YZ anytime soon.

:cheers:

• grayracer513

Posted November 18, 2006 - 10:03 PM

The confidence this bike provides in corners really surprised me as I've read all the articles about the YZ not being the best turning bike of the 450's. Maybe not the best, ....

Au contraire, mon ami, I believe, having ridden all of the big 5, it is the best cornering of the lot. I liked the RM cornering almost as much, and it does some things even better than the YZF, but the suspension and gearbox were no match for the YZ. The KXF pushed leaving turns under throttle. The Honda was fabulous, if not for the unfortunate tendency for the front to completely let go without warning. Of all of them, when it's set up right, the YZF is, in my opinion, a solid, predictable, versatile, and even willing ride in a corner. It is the most neutral MX bike I've ridden since my old CZ, and the most fun I've had in 30 years. I does what I want, and it does what I expect. Can't beat that.

• twenty34

Posted November 18, 2006 - 10:47 PM

good commentary grayracer. So quick question...to help with some of the slight bog off idle and remedy some of the popping on deceleration, any recomendations for the YZ?

Thanks.

• rooster wrooster

Posted November 19, 2006 - 11:28 AM

I have really wanted to post about this for a while, the '06 YZ vs 06 WR. But I couldn't do it because my best friend and riding buddy also posts and reads TT so I didn't want to piss him off. But the truth must be told! I'm pretty sure he doesn't come in the yz forum so I think I'm safe. We both debated over last winter what yami's we were going to buy. We went back and forth and I settled on the yz and he took the wr.

Our riding was going to be all trail riding so I knew I was going to have to spend some cash to make it street legal. A little over $1000 later it was ready.

I rode his wr while it was still stock. Man was that thing a turd! I think I could have beat him to the 100ft mark with my mountain bike. After he did all the free mods it was transformed into a real bike.

We rode just about every other weekend this year, all trail riding in michigan. I have lost count how many times we have drag raced. From a complete stop to a roll on in every gear, I win EVERY time. The difference in acceleration was plainly evident but not so much that the races were not fun. Now just to be fair he did narrowly win one or two races in his back yard, but just between us it was because of my back wheel spinning and loosing traction.

Our riding styles are pretty similar and he would admit I'm a better rider, but not by much. Neither of us are great riders, probably just a notch above novice.

From a pure performance perspective a stock yz beats a modded wr hands down. Every time. End of story.

From a value perspective it is much closer. I had to spend about $300 just to buy the basic parts to make my yz street legal. Then another $700 for a bigger tank, upgrades, and armor to make it trail worthy. The otd prices for the 2 bikes were a few hundred dollars different.

For the type of riding we do the wr does everything the yz does and it has the e-start. Knowing what I do now, I probably would still go with the yz and mod it if I had to pick between the 06 wr and yz. But if I had to pick between an 07 wr and 06 yz, I think I would go with the wr, but thats just a guess, I'd have to ride the wr first.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • twenty34

Posted November 19, 2006 - 12:40 PM

Agreed...My WR had all the mods, jetting, a slip-on etc and the stock YZ blows it away. Even for the desert, I'd still go YZ. I never did much in the way of night riding so the light and battery were just dead weight and boy do you feel it.

• red7

Posted December 06, 2006 - 09:40 PM

For the type of riding we do the wr does everything the yz does and it has the e-start. Knowing what I do now, I probably would still go with the yz and mod it if I had to pick between the 06 wr and yz. But if I had to pick between an 07 wr and 06 yz, I think I would go with the wr, but thats just a guess, I'd have to ride the wr first.

Your last comment got me curious....what happened in 07 for the WR that made it better? I currently have an 04 WR450 but have recently started riding at the track and am thinking of switching to an 05 or 06 YZ450F. So far I love everything about my WR except I bottom out the suspension off any decent jump. However, my WR is my first dirt bike so it's highly probable I don't know what I'm missing if I were to switch to a lighter bike. I'll still ride 60% trails and like the WR gearing but again, I haven't ridden a YZ to compare. I moved to Mexico recently so I won't have the chance to test ride one but I am heading back to AZ in Jan and am either going to have my WR revalved with heavier springs or get a YZ. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• tmauto69

Posted December 07, 2006 - 07:14 PM

The '07 WR has the aluminum frame, like the '06-'07 YZ

• OcotilloBound

Posted December 07, 2006 - 07:37 PM

good commentary grayracer. So quick question...to help with some of the slight bog off idle and remedy some of the popping on deceleration, any recomendations for the YZ?

Thanks.

Jetting, my man. Richen that puppy up with a 170 main and a 48 pilot, and you will say bye-bye to those issues. Where do you ride mostly?

Oh, and in response to that last thing about the aluminum frames, I do believe you omitted the 05 YZ from that list, TM.

• grayracer513

Posted December 07, 2006 - 09:45 PM

Oh, and in response to that last thing about the aluminum frames, I do believe you omitted the 05 YZ from that list, TM.

The reference was to 450's only, although it wasn't entirely unambiguous. Nevertheless, it was accurate; the YZ450's had aluminum frames in '06/7, not '05

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.