Got an Air Compressor! woohoo! But Whats up with the automatic line oiler, help?

5 replies to this topic
  • joeym4130

Posted November 18, 2006 - 01:40 PM

Finally got my air compressor! I took the whole bottom end out of the frame of the bike soo fast, its so nice to have proper tools.

Being able to take the clutch /basket completely out without any special holding tools was so nice!

I oiled the impact wrench and ratchet by hand the first time.

I hooked up a regulator/filter/ auto-oiler combination to the compressor just now, mounted it up on the wall real nice. Since I'm only using the compressor for tools I went for the oiler.

The manual for the oiler says you're supposed to adjust the line oiler with a knob by looking at this clear cap in the top. But thats all the detail I get. I see when the line is being used the tool oil is filling the clear top and dripping down into the line.

I'm just wondering, are you supposed to be able to tell there is oil in the line once this thing is working? I attatched the air gun to the line and blew it for a while, and then on my hand but I couldnt feel any oil, but I didnt know if its just so dispersed that the film is so fine you can't tell.

I just have no idea if this is set up right, cause i got no guidance! haha. If anyone could help it'd be awesome.

• martybec

Posted November 18, 2006 - 02:07 PM

You wont be able to see any oil coming out of the gun. There should be a knob on top that adjusts the oil, set it in the middle to start with and see how it does. If you are just using for hand tools it wont matter if its wide open, it might spit oil out every once and a while, but if your not doing body work it will be fine.

• joeym4130

Posted November 18, 2006 - 06:16 PM

So when I have the air blower attatch. on the hose and spray the air on my hand I shouldnt feel any residue or anything? Cause I got nothing coming out if i try it that way. I thought maybe the film is so dispersed and 'atomized' in the airflow that i cant really feel it. i dunno. Thanks for the help

• HemiOrange

Posted November 18, 2006 - 10:56 PM

I would just take that oiler off completely. At one time I had the combo oiler, air filter, water collector and pressure regulator. Well the plastic bowl blew out and the compressor would have run until it burned up if I wasn't there to witness it.

After that I just invested in a regulator/water trap of better quality and remember to turn off the air line. As far as oiling your air tools, a squirt of air tool oil into the tool itself is good for most tasks. Having that oil in the whole 25 to 50 ft airline will create havoc the next time you decide to attach a paint spray gun to the line. I've yet to burn up an air tool in the 20 years that I've been NOT using an auto oiler. Besides, air tools are cheap, paint jobs can be expensive.

• TGTech

Posted November 19, 2006 - 07:56 AM

Unless you're using the air powered tools a lot, the best suggestion is to use the "squirt the tool" idea. That way, you don't have oil in the lines all the time. If you're going to use the air for painting, you'll have to install a competely separate line to have oil free air.

In my shop, I use little oilers that can be attached at the end of the hose, right in front of the tool, if I need a lot of oil for a tool.

Another consideration you should think about, is filtering the air. I have small in line filters that I use in front of the tools, like the oilers, and that takes care of the tools too.

Dane

• Soul Man

Posted November 19, 2006 - 10:57 AM

Set it up with the knob so that it drops one drop of oil every so often. I think they release a lot more oil than you would need. When I got my air lines plumbed in, I put oilers at all the regulators (except for the paint booth). I never use them. Even if you set it REAL low, it will still over-oil and you'll have oil spraying everywhere. Now, I have my main air line T'd before the oilers, and then have a quick connect right off the oiler. Every now and then I'll hook the tool right to the oiler, run it untill 1-2 drops come out and then hook it up on the regular hose (without the oiler). Makes it a little easier than having to find your oil bottle and drip it in.

Most people would recommend just putting 1-2 drops of oil in the air inlet of the tool every day you use it.

If you do use the oiler, probably 1 drop every 1-2 min of run time would even be plenty (if not excessive) oiling for the tools.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.