Value on a Plated WR400

10 replies to this topic
  • IHScoutII

Posted November 18, 2006 - 08:26 AM

Ok guys, im hoping you can help me out. There is a 2000 WR 400 that is plated for the street, the guy is asking 3000 for it and I am wondering if this sounds like a desent price or if it is way too much?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• Punisher660

Posted November 18, 2006 - 10:00 AM

A bike is a bike is a bike...... just because someone plated it, it didn't gain any value. The only value it added is what you give it.

According to N.A.D.A (don't use Kelly Blue Book, the banks/credit unions base the value of an item on the NADA value and that is the value they are willing to loan against)

The nada value for my area for a 2000' WR400 was $2600 - the YZF was $2300.

Is it worth $400 for the parts/labor for the conversion? You have to decide that. Sure there are a lot of parts on there, but they are USED parts. Was the labor that hard to convert it? Most of us enjoy doing the labor.....thats part of the fun.

From the looks of this bike, the guy is asking for what his bike books out at, but he wants what he payed for the parts. I would show him the book value and split the difference....$2800. He won't feel like he is getting screwed, and your still saving $200.

JMO

• Birdy426

Posted November 18, 2006 - 10:03 AM

A bike is a bike is a bike...... just because someone plated it, it didn't gain any value. The only value it added is what you give it.

Unless you're in Cali, where they can no onger be plated. Here, the plate is worth anywhere from $500 to $1500 bucks, depending onthe bike!

• Conan_'dale

Posted November 18, 2006 - 10:06 AM

Book values are only a guide. Some bikes should sell for more than book, some should sell for way under book. Bike should sell based upon condition and extra equipment.

The WR's seem to hold their value really well as they are a highly sought after bike.

• IHScoutII

Posted November 18, 2006 - 10:23 AM

Unless you're in Cali, where they can no onger be plated. Here, the plate is worth anywhere from $500 to $1500 bucks, depending onthe bike!

Washington is the same way, you cant plate a bike here.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gadsen

Posted November 18, 2006 - 03:54 PM

According to N.A.D.A (don't use Kelly Blue Book, the banks/credit unions base the value of an item on the NADA value and that is the value they are willing to loan against)

The nada value for my area for a 2000' WR400 was $2600 - the YZF was $2300.

Is it worth $400 for the parts/labor for the conversion? You have to decide that. Sure there are a lot of parts on there, but they are USED parts. Was the labor that hard to convert it? Most of us enjoy doing the labor.....thats part of the fun.

From the looks of this bike, the guy is asking for what his bike books out at, but he wants what he payed for the parts. I would show him the book value and split the difference....$2800. He won't feel like he is getting screwed, and your still saving $200.

JMO

Plating a bike in WA is tough, ans it mightbe worth more. I sold my WA plated WR426 for the going price, no extra, it sold quick because it was plated. Keep in mind, it may be tough to transfer it to another owner and keep the road plate. They might request a WSP inspection. It will be OK as long as it has all the proper gear. Then again, it might go as smooth as silk wityh no WSP inspection needed. The VIN will show it as off road, and a red flag pops up. Have a contingency with the seller "I'll buy it as long as I can transfer it over with the plate"

• Just034

Posted November 18, 2006 - 04:45 PM

I bought my 98 wr400 in great condition for 1500. I have seen them going around here for 1800-2000 consistantly

• MN_Paul

Posted November 18, 2006 - 06:06 PM

The bike in the picture is set up for street use but plan on spending 200-500 to make it dirt proof. (skid plate, radiator guards bark, busters, took kit.....)

Paul

• Gadsen

Posted November 18, 2006 - 09:53 PM

Washington is the same way, you cant plate a bike here.

Never say "cant" :cheers: 2004 WR450F and WA Plated. Bought brand new too! But I know its gotten much tougher to do.

• trailordune

Posted November 18, 2006 - 10:59 PM

Also have WA plated 04. If the 400 is in good shape he will get the $3000 for it. Plated bikes go for a premium around here.

• IHScoutII

Posted November 19, 2006 - 11:48 AM

Is there anyone near Auburn, Washington that would be willing to go and look over the bike and make sure it is in good shape?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.