Newby - Skid Plate? WC Frame Guards? Tank?

4 replies to this topic
  • Tom_Vervaeke

Posted December 23, 2001 - 10:27 PM

Hello:

More newby questions from the fellow who just sold
the KLX300R and got an '02 WR426.

Q1: I had the aluminum Works Connection guards
on my KLX. I'm trying to find them for the 02
WR426. Could I assume that parts that are listed,
on say, the Baja Designs page, for a WR400 will
fit my '02 WR426? Or, do I need to look around
to find specific WR426 parts. I guess I'm asking
is if a lot of the YZ400/WR400 parts are the
same as the WR426?

Q2: Skid plate. I live in Colorado and go to Moab
a lot. Very rocky. I'd like to toss the stock
skid plate and get a nice, heavy duty metal
one (no CF for me). Moose? Any specific
recommendations? Again, will WR400 parts fit?
Or, do most think the OEM stuff is fine?

Q3: What kind of gas mileage (mpg) do WR426's
get? The new 02 has a 3.2 gallon tank. What
kind of total miles per tank would I get if I'm
a serious trail rider, but not racing? My old
KLX only got around 35 mpg and I have no idea
yet what the WR will do. If I want to go around
the White Rim Trail in Moab, at 109 miles
minimum, is the stock 3.2 going to cut it or
do I need to go to IMS for the 4.0?

Just got off the Scotts Performance web site where
I dropped some serious $$$ on a Scotts triple
clamp, pro-taper, damper combo. Had a damper
on the KLX and really liked it. Have never
had a Pro Tapers before but the way Scott's
prices things its cheaper to get the full combo
than not. Looking forward to this but it was
mondo $$$

Thanks,

Tom

• ChR1s

Posted December 23, 2001 - 07:32 PM

re: Q2

I recently installed one of these http://www.yamaha-mo...aluminum03.html skid plates from Yamaha. I'm not sure who makes them, but it is of high quality fit & finish. No rock tests as of yet, but it seems durable.

[ December 26, 2001: Message edited by: ChR1s ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mcarp

Posted December 26, 2001 - 05:23 AM

Yes, virtually all YZ parts fit the WR. And almost all the 98-99 WR parts fit a 02. There are exceptions-such as Scott's mounting bracket, triple clamps, brake disks, etc. Dunno about frame guards, though I'm willing to bet they all fit. I would ask on the forum if a particular older labled part will fit if you're unsure. The more you learn about the bike the easier it will be to know if a part will fit or not.

I use the Moose skid plate. Seems strong to me, but I don't hit rocks like Moab-just smaller east coast stuff. The fit is good, price is right, and it does the trick.

Right around 24 mpg on a'oo WR400 is what I get. I don't think a stock tank can make 109mile trail ride. I'm thinking 80-85 miles max-more if it's fast open terrain, less if it's extremely techical/slow.

Best wishes, and enjoy the Blue Beast!

• Woody426

Posted December 26, 2001 - 02:40 PM

TOM,

I thought the stock glide plate was fine. The first out,I got into rocks. I now have a nice dent in the frame on the bottom of my 01 WR. I ordered the WC frame gaurds and skid plate. They fit great.(no mods or holding your tongue in the right position to get them on) The only problem I have is with the skid plate. It only covers about half of the frame tube. If I had to do again I would look for a skid plate with more coverage. Yamaha offers one that is $74.95, 3/16" thick, it has the side skirts that cover the front. Fits 98-02 YZ-WR PN:YZR-5BF34-00-AL

Hope this helps
Woody

• YAMAKAZE

Posted December 27, 2001 - 04:10 AM

The Yamaha Skid plate and the White Brothers Skid plate are made by the same manufacturer for both companies. You can get it for less by calling JEFF at MX SOUTH (561) 743-3288. I would go with the aluminum frame guards rather than the blue plastic ones. The plastic scratch's easily and the dirt grinds into them. The aluminum ones can be buffed out with a piece of steel wool or mag wheel polish.

My 2 Cents....

Bonzai :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.