99wr400 Float leaking

3 replies to this topic

Posted November 17, 2006 - 08:38 AM

I got a leaking float chamber. I believe the the problem was from the o-ring on the float needle housing, I replaced this with another o-ring from the hardware store since the stealership wanted $50 for the needle, needle housing, oring, and screw. I have placed the needle in the housing and blew through it and it is air tight so I believe the needle and the seating are in good shape. I have checked the float and it too is air tight. I have measured the 9mm that the manual states for the float spacing. I've double checked and made sure the float isn't restricted or stuck. when I replaced the o-ring I assembled the carb back teh way the clymer manual instructed me to. I placed the carb on the bike in the same fashion and turned the fuel on. I watched with the drain hose off to look for leaks. waited a few minutes, no leaks, kicked her over, she went over first kick, Let her run with the choke and went to grab my jacket and as I was coming back to the bike she bogged out and died and I saw the float drain leaking gas. Please give me your opinion on what I shoud do. I'm off to the stealership to buy the OEM assembly for $50 and I'd like to make sure that does it, I don't want to be shotgunning my bike with expensive parts thinking it is the fix. So please chime in and let me know.

Posted November 20, 2006 - 12:58 PM

Never mind figured her out, thanks for all the help, couldn't have done it without you guys. Thanks a million.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SXP

Posted November 20, 2006 - 04:13 PM

Never mind figured her out, thanks for all the help, couldn't have done it without you guys. Thanks a million.

Sarcasm aside, what was the problem?

Posted November 21, 2006 - 03:26 PM

Problem was the needle, needle seat. I pulled them out inspected them, all was well, replaced O-ring and installed, it continued to leak, not seal. Paid $50 for new needle, needle housing, O-ring, from the stealership and it fixed the problem, something I thought it would do, but $50 for what I thought was only an O-ring problem was WAY too much, went to get the o-ring from parts shop, didn't work, thanks for the inquiry.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.