05 wr 450 really loud grinding noise around starter

4 replies to this topic
  • AMG_Eric

Posted November 16, 2006 - 09:08 PM

if i use the electric start i get a really loud whinning noise like the pilot bearing is gone. however there is no pilot bearing. i pulled off the cover plate and removed the gears in there. then turned over the electric start again and the noise was just as bad.

so i figure i need a new front plate to the starter. well yamaha doesnt sell the front plate to the starter. you must buy the whole starter based on the parts fiche.

the other weird thing is when you kill the bike it makes the same whinning noise with the gears in. additionally with the gears in when i kick start it it makes that noise. i guess tommorrow i will remove the gears and try and kick start it to confirm that it is the starter and not another problem.

has anyone else had this problem from a 2 year old bike? to me this is super odd. also does anyone know where i can get a starter cheaper then 200 bux? i priced it at the dealer and that is the bend over we glad you bought a yamaha price.

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 17, 2006 - 05:11 AM

Sounds like it may be the one way starter clutch is the culprit ( right behind the flywheel. They have been known to disintegrate. Thus you would get back drive thru the starter gears as the engine revs yielding a whining noise that would be loud and bad.:cheers:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AMG_Eric

Posted November 17, 2006 - 09:05 AM

Sounds like it may be the one way starter clutch is the culprit ( right behind the flywheel. They have been known to disintegrate. Thus you would get back drive thru the starter gears as the engine revs yielding a whining noise that would be loud and bad.:cheers:

i would agree but i took out the gear that connects the starter clutch to the starter.

• AMG_Eric

Posted November 17, 2006 - 12:10 PM

i am 100% certain it is the starter causing the noise. i isolated it and kick started the bike and no noise. anyone know of an inexpensive fix for the starter? are there rebuilt ones or maybe aftermarket ones/

• duke2au

Posted January 07, 2007 - 12:43 PM

try and clean it out and regrease the bearings... fixed mine for a while. Grit absolutley DESTROYS them... make sure its sealed well.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.