Thinking of buying 01 YZ426??

28 replies to this topic
  • Naterob

Posted November 20, 2006 - 06:32 AM

I love my '01 426. I picked it up about a year ago, with less than 20 hours on it - almost brand new! I mostly ride trails and have been in a few local harescrambles. It's an awesome bike for the scrambles and fast trail riding. The only downfall is that I occasionally ride with slower friends and it's practically impossible to go very slow on it. The yz is one of the most reliable bikes on the market and it can really take abuse - it loves to be ridden hard! You'll love it!

• grayracer513

Posted November 20, 2006 - 07:00 AM

For me, Im so used to the manual decomp, and don't feel the need to do the cam mod. I usually just pull the decomp lever, kick it down about 2 inches or so, let it up, release the lever, and give it a hard kick, and it usually start on the first or second one of those., even after a fall.

Yep, that's one of the 3 things they all say. :cheers:

Then they do the mod and can't believe they took so long to do it.

• MichiganMXer

Posted November 20, 2006 - 05:36 PM

I havent done the cam mod..I want too, I've been too cheap and lazy to do it....

Is that one of the 3?

• grayracer513

Posted November 20, 2006 - 08:18 PM

They are (in no particular order):

> I can start my bike easy without it, so it won't make any difference to me.

> With manual decomp, my bike is so hard to start that no one wants to borrow it (steal it).

> It's a lot of work and expensive (it's intimidating, Don't know if I can do it, etc.)

So, yeah, I guess you're in there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Kyle Prior

Posted November 20, 2006 - 09:08 PM

Haha, for me, I just don't feel like doing it in all honesty. I dont plan on doing much to my bike besides replacing the clutch, getting a new skid, and tires. This doesn't include all the proper maitenence of course. If I ever tear into the motor down the road, Ill seriously consider the cam mod though.

• Bullneck

Posted December 01, 2006 - 01:18 PM

First post guys so go easy on me :D I have a 2003 426 and looking at the above posts, it looks like my problem is a known one. This thing is a bitch to start. Tried decompress, kick 10 times and then go 2 inches past TDC and boot with no throttle but it still takes a good few tries to start. Am I missing something? Is there a simpler method? I see various references to this problem but no posted solutions, I'm sure it has been posted or linked but I cannot find it.

Started riding dirt bikes at 15 - moved to road bikes for 20 years (latterly 1200 bandits - best wheelie machine out there), so I'm not a newb by any means but this thing is gonna pop a knee if I don't get it sussed. Once it's running it is a blast, first gear is brutal but the rest is easily controllable, just this one issue spoiling my fun :worthy:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

• 642MX

Posted December 01, 2006 - 04:36 PM

First post guys so go easy on me :prof: I have a 2003 426 and looking at the above posts, it looks like my problem is a known one. This thing is a bitch to start. Tried decompress, kick 10 times and then go 2 inches past TDC and boot with no throttle but it still takes a good few tries to start. Am I missing something? Is there a simpler method? I see various references to this problem but no posted solutions, I'm sure it has been posted or linked but I cannot find it.

Started riding dirt bikes at 15 - moved to road bikes for 20 years (latterly 1200 bandits - best wheelie machine out there), so I'm not a newb by any means but this thing is gonna pop a knee if I don't get it sussed. Once it's running it is a blast, first gear is brutal but the rest is easily controllable, just this one issue spoiling my fun :D

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to TT!

First, Yamaha didn't make a 03 YZ426 (they where made from 2000-2002). Second, go to the top of the forums and read about the 450DCM, once you put the 450 exhaust cam in they start up just like a 2 stroke. :worthy:

• gem

Posted December 03, 2006 - 05:12 AM

I have had my 00 426 for a full year now and starting it is no problem , that is why I held off on the decomp mod, but I am considering it because I thought it gave performance benefits. Is it true?

• Summit

Posted December 03, 2006 - 07:37 AM

and it's practically impossible to go very slow on it

My brother has an 01 426 and he bought himself a TTR230 so he could ride with his wife when they went together. Said he just couldn't ride his 426 that slow. His 426 rips. he loves it and it's been bulletproof.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.