Thinking of buying 01 YZ426??

28 replies to this topic
  • crh624

Posted November 16, 2006 - 07:35 PM

I'm new to TT. A friend gave me the link to this forum...
I'm a 37 yr old who raced C and B class, 10 yrs ago (CR250). While I have remained an avid motorcycle enthusiast and rider, I have not been in the dirt for some time. My son has a KX80 and I want a bike to ride with him on weekends. I have ridden a couple of 250Fs and an 05 YZF450, and I love the 4 strokes! I wish I had one back in the day!
I've read through this forum extensively, and there seems to be alot of great advice and refference material.
I have not seen this 426 yet, but a friend of mine has it and is said to have little time on it. He is the second owner and does not ride it. I'm pretty sure I could pick this bike up for around 2K. I'm in excellent phys shape and very competitive. Is this a good bike for me, or should I find a 450F around the same price range? My riding pref is MX, but will also do quite a bit of trail riding with the family. My son wants to try a bit of weekend racing at the local MX track (Hidden Valley MX, Tn) and I'm sure I'll want to get back into the C class or +35... Concerns?? Thanks for the advice.

• 642MX

Posted November 16, 2006 - 08:16 PM

Welcome to TT!

IMO, the 426 is the best all around bike out there. They where made for MX, but they handle trails really well. They are nearly bullet proof and easy to maintain. I love mine!

• martybec

Posted November 16, 2006 - 08:55 PM

Your story is almost a mirror image to me .
A year ago I bought a 426 and have sinse ran a few hare scramble and 1 mx with it. It works OK for woods, but I want to get a flywheel weight to tame it a bit. Oh and do the 450 exhaust cam swap it is worth it!

• motobeck

Posted November 17, 2006 - 07:35 AM

If your deal on the '01 426 doesn't pan out, I've got an '02 for sale. New piston/rings, Hot Cam... ready to go. It has been a great bike, but I got new bike fever awhile back and had to get a new one.

• Florida_426

Posted November 17, 2006 - 07:46 AM

Welcome to TT this place has the best people and great advice. I have had an 02 426 since June 2002 (new) and it has proven to be a truly reliable and great handling bike. Lots of these bikes out and about. If the bike you are considering checks out okay get it if you can agree on agood price. Best of luck!

Bill

• sirthumpalot

Posted November 17, 2006 - 05:03 PM

The 01' 426 is a solid year, a great bike. But as with all bikes each next year seems to be a little better in some way. I still have a 01' 426 and for me the motor is magic. I wouldn't mind if it weighed what this years bike will weigh, or have this years suspension, but I wish I could buy a new frame and take my 426 motor with me. :p If you don't demand the latest and greatest then a 01' 426 in good shape will give you lots and lots of fun.

I forgot to add; right up until I broke my wrist a few months ago, my 426 and I were spanking my friends on their newer and modified bikes on regular occasion. Hopefully I'll be riding again here in the next few weeks and maybe I'll continue the spanking where I left off. :cheers:

• yz_for_me

Posted November 17, 2006 - 08:53 PM

I have an '01 426 and I'm still convinced it is one of the funnest bikes out there. The 426 is still a very competitve bike for the vast majority of riders. Like thumpalot said, the motor is magic. It has a great hit that makes things fun, but not scary. These bikes have a reputation for being bullet proof, so if your friend's is in good shape and well maintained, I wouldn't be afraid to pick it up. 2K sounds about right for most parts of the country.

• GONE1445

Posted November 17, 2006 - 09:22 PM

love mine

will never sell it

enough said

• crh624

Posted November 17, 2006 - 09:25 PM

Thanks for the advice... I will be back in the states in two weeks and plan to take the bike for a ride. Barring any problems with it, I think it will be a great bike for me. I'll check back in and let you know how it goes. I'm sure I'll have more questions for this group then.:cheers:

• 6fiddy

Posted November 18, 2006 - 09:07 AM

my 02' 426 is for sale in the classified section. BIG NADS required. Read why.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gildnernorth101

Posted November 18, 2006 - 11:53 AM

Great bike throw a flywheel weight on it and its awsome in the woods

• Nova1194

Posted November 18, 2006 - 01:31 PM

I had a brain fart and sold my 426, but 2 months ago I bought it back and will never part with it again, it is a little heavy, but other than that it is awsome. Handles great and has more than enough power to keep up with the new stuff.
I ride pretty much the same stuff as you, no MX, but lots of hare scrambles and trials.
Get it jetted right, put a flywheel weight on it and have a blast,

Mike

• demolition_x

Posted November 18, 2006 - 10:43 PM

i love how it just about has a powerband. i love how it hits like a ton of bricks.

and i havn't had any complaints on my bike and its an 01. i think i will be doing a cam mod on it though.

• Satch0922

Posted November 19, 2006 - 08:12 AM

the 2001 is bullet proof.

• Kyle Prior

Posted November 19, 2006 - 06:56 PM

I have a 2000 426, and its amazing. Its my first bike, and has Pro Circuit Works suspension, and its absolutely amazing. I just got back from a 5 hour long ride, and hope to get out again next weekend. The bike is extremely reliable, as it starts on 1st kick every time. Its a bit heavy, but not overly so, and that manual decompression is a bit wierd at first, but you get used to it.

• pizza914

Posted November 19, 2006 - 06:59 PM

I just got a 2000 426. I finally got to take it for a spin yesterday. I went to the Dunes & had a blast in the sand. Spanked my buddy on his 98' Cr250 all day. Except of course when I had to start the damn thing. It was a PITA to start most the day. I did a search on starting tips & hope next time out will be fine. I was just kicking it through the Compression stroke. Think I damn near blew out my knee doing it. After hearing the trick on starting it hopefully I will fare better. I'm also only 5'8 so it stands a little tall for me. Other than that I flat out love it. It screams & I've always lover 4-strokes:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted November 19, 2006 - 08:36 PM

I just got a 2000 426. ... It was a PITA to start most the day. I did a search on starting tips & hope next time out will be fine. I was just kicking it through the Compression stroke. Think I damn near blew out my knee doing it. After hearing the trick on starting it hopefully I will fare better....Other than that I flat out love it.

...and a voice in the darkness said, "do the '03 cam mod...." :cheers:

• Crabtree426

Posted November 19, 2006 - 09:12 PM

I have a 2000. It has been a great bike. I'll end up keeping it even when I decide to get a new bike. Do the cam mod and add a powernow to it.:cheers:

• Kyle Prior

Posted November 19, 2006 - 09:42 PM

For me, Im so used to the manual decomp, and don't feel the need to do the cam mod. I usually just pull the decomp lever, kick it down about 2 inches or so, let it up, release the lever, and give it a hard kick, and it usually start on the first or second one of those., even after a fall.

• 01yz426

Posted November 20, 2006 - 02:01 AM

Can't go wrong with a 426... I had my '01 from the showroom floor up until I sold her in April, not 1 problem mechanically with the bike... Naturally I replaced plastics a few times along with graphics and Sub-Frame but I crash a lot too...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.