Time to make a change?

13 replies to this topic
  • Kendawg

Posted November 16, 2006 - 05:22 PM

I currently ride an 04 WR 450 and I LOVE the bike but I ride in the Mojave and it doesnt handle the high speed whoops as well as I would like. Sure I could get the suspension professionally done and then it would handle them but that would cost upwards of $600ish. In my mind I think putting that money towards a newer bike would be the smarter move.

Im looking at a like new 06 WR 450 and my question is will it handle the whoops better? From the reseach I have found it seems that Yamaha made a pretty big jump from the 04's to the 05's making them lighter, narrower and huge upgrades to suspension.

Anyone have some thoughts??... :cheers:

PS if I end up making the jump from my 04 to the 06 then the 04 will be up for sale at a DANG good price!

• Kendawg

Posted November 17, 2006 - 10:36 AM

Nobody has any thoughts or opinions between the 04 and the 06??

My question is how much better of a bike is the 06 over the 04 or should I just keep my 04 and upgrade the suspension?

• PBDBLUE

Posted November 17, 2006 - 10:42 AM

IMO the '04 has the better motor for desert riding. Most of the weight distribution change on the '05 - '06 came at the expense of a smaller tank. I've ridden both comparably set up. Put an '05 tank on a '04 and they're really not that much different. Either one will probably need suspension mods to make you happy in the whoops. Why not an '07?

• Kendawg

Posted November 17, 2006 - 11:12 AM

Hey PBDBLUE you seem like your in the "know". I agree my 04 WR with all the free mods has MORE than enough giddy-up for what I do.

This is what Im going to do if I just keep the 04...I found a guy with a 03 YZ250F who wants to trade tank, shrouds and seat. So I would have the smaller tank (if it will fit, maybe you know yea or nay) AND send my suspension out to RG3.

When I read the reviews of the 05WR on up they are lighter, slimmer, smaller tanks and with upgraded suspension so thats what makes me want to make the change, Im just trying to get as much info on both bikes as possible.

Any and all input is appreciated!

• jeffm

Posted November 17, 2006 - 05:29 PM

You ride in the Mojave desert in Washington? I guess I should of paid more attention in school thats one big azz desert:excuseme:

• Kendawg

Posted November 18, 2006 - 01:29 AM

Hey JeffM, nice to see your paying attention. I ride my YFZ here in the Oregon Dunes and I keep my WR down at my brothers house. My parents are getting up there and I like to visit 3 to 4 times a year and while Im there I ride Mojave.

Anybody looking to buy a CLEAN 04WR? I think Im going to go ahead and get the 06WR.

• steve_cirillo

Posted November 18, 2006 - 03:10 AM

what's the price?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Conan_'dale

Posted November 18, 2006 - 10:21 AM

Kendawg,

Sent you a PM

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted November 19, 2006 - 01:13 AM

I've ridden an 03 wr before and I now own an 05. I personally didn't feel much difference. I certainly wouldn't change from an 03/04 to an 05/06. The smaller gas tank is the biggest difference, which by the way, is negated by all of us buying the larger capacity tanks anyway.

Spend a couple hundered bucks and get new springs and heavier fork oil. It made a big difference for me and I'm 210 lbs. It felt like a new bike once I made the change.

• PBDBLUE

Posted November 19, 2006 - 06:48 AM

Spend a couple hundered bucks and get new springs and heavier fork oil. It made a big difference for me and I'm 210 lbs. It felt like a new bike once I made the change.

Good point. Out of the box the WR is really undersprung in the rear. I go about 185 and have a 5.6 spring in my desert bike. If you're under 200 the fork springs should be ok. Like mauricedorris said it makes a huge diference in the handling.

• Flyin-A

Posted November 19, 2006 - 06:53 AM

even if you buy a new scoot you will need suspension work.your suspension is like the motor,you need to chage the oil once in a while.:cheers:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 19, 2006 - 07:10 AM

I've spent a lot of time on both, I wouild say that the older chassis and ergos was better suited for fast Desert riding/racing.. The 03/04 bikes were taller and more roomy but I also liked that fact that they didn't feel so short in the front end too, But suspension components on the newest bikes are the best we've seen yet.

• Wasabi

Posted November 19, 2006 - 08:26 AM

I've ridden an 03 wr before and I now own an 05. I personally didn't feel much difference. I certainly wouldn't change from an 03/04 to an 05/06. The smaller gas tank is the biggest difference, which by the way, is negated by all of us buying the larger capacity tanks anyway.

I totally agree, but definately go one step further and get the suspension revalved. :cheers:

• Kendawg

Posted November 19, 2006 - 02:20 PM

So... If Im hearing everybody correctly here than I should be keeping my 04 and just send my suspension out to RG3 or "House of Horsepower" out of Eugene, OR and call it good.

I love my bike but the suspension is my only real complaint. (that and the seat feels like a cinder block and the tank is too big for my needs, all of which would be fixed by the 06)

Heres my thoughts: When I talked to the owner of House of of Horsepower he said that Yamaha put MUCH better components on the 05WR on up and I can buy this 06 and sale my 04 and it will only cost me about $1000 and yes I might need to have the 06 suspension revalved but I was thinking at least its on better/newer suspension components.

And at the end of the day its just money...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.