Gearing down my 450

12 replies to this topic
  • snmhanson

Posted November 16, 2006 - 12:42 PM

I did a search already but couldn't find any conclusive answers to my questions so here it goes. I am interested in getting a little more low end for riding very tight single track and because I very rarely go WFO on my WR450. I guess my options are going down a tooth in the front or going up in the back. I am not certain but isn't it better for the chain to go up in the back? My first concern is doing what will work best for the bike but then I would also like it to be fairly easy for me to change so I can change the sprockets depending on where I am riding that day. Also, I want a little more low end but I don't want a wheelie machine and I don't want to loose TOO much top end - Anyone care to recommend a sprocket size that would work well for me? I was thinking of going to a 52 in the rear but that is more or less a stab in the dark. Any opinions here? Thanks.

Matt

• handlebar

Posted November 16, 2006 - 12:48 PM

Matt...consider a rekluse clutch if you ride TIGHT single track.It makes the 450 motor MUCH easier to deal with and impossible to stall.Gone will be the stalling,constant clutching and the torque lurh from tree to tree.Makes riding single track easy on a WR!!!!!Do a search for rekluse .....they have outstanding reviews from users.Revlock also makes one.:cheers:

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 16, 2006 - 12:52 PM

I run 13/50, 14/50, 15/50 and 13/52, 14/52 with 2 sets of wheels.
I recommend just getting a 13T front and leave the 50 alone.
You can easily put a 14 back on for taller gearing with the same chain.:cheers:

• story_rtw

Posted November 16, 2006 - 01:08 PM

I also went down one tooth in the front. It works great and is much cheaper/easier than messing with the back sprocket. I don't have any problems with chain wear, binding, etc. Try it!

Story

I did a search already but couldn't find any conclusive answers to my questions so here it goes. I am interested in getting a little more low end for riding very tight single track and because I very rarely go WFO on my WR450. I guess my options are going down a tooth in the front or going up in the back. I am not certain but isn't it better for the chain to go up in the back? My first concern is doing what will work best for the bike but then I would also like it to be fairly easy for me to change so I can change the sprockets depending on where I am riding that day. Also, I want a little more low end but I don't want a wheelie machine and I don't want to loose TOO much top end - Anyone care to recommend a sprocket size that would work well for me? I was thinking of going to a 52 in the rear but that is more or less a stab in the dark. Any opinions here? Thanks.

Matt

• snmhanson

Posted November 16, 2006 - 01:39 PM

Thanks. I'll pick up a 13T a try and see what happens. I have also been kicking the Rekluse idea around lately. I would love to be able to try one first but don't know anyone who has one. An added benefit of the Rekluse for me would be that I would still be able to ride when I break my clutch lever (which I used to do all the time). Right now I have bark busters on to pretect it but I can't stand them and would love to get rid of them. Only problem is if I get a Rekluse then I can't really justify selling my bike for another couple of years. I think I've spent almost as much on upgrades (suspension, pipe, etc...) as I did on the bike. Well, maybe not quite as much but still nothing to take lightly. Anyway, thanks for the sprocket advice.

Matt

• Bleeds_Blue

Posted January 28, 2007 - 09:56 PM

This might help...

http://www.sv1000.in...htm?newwin=true

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SID013

Posted January 28, 2007 - 10:57 PM

I run 14/52 which works fairly well for the type of riding I do. Tight trails, sandy hills & beach work. When I want a wheelie machine I drop a 13 tooth front on & yeehah!!. All without mucking around with chain lengths. If you want to check out the effects on speed at different gearing try the gearing calculator on this site. http://www.4strokes.com/tech/

Cheers

• Fullbore4

Posted January 28, 2007 - 11:12 PM

Here's a nifty little speed calculator to play around with:

http://www.csgnetwor.../speedcalc.html

• birdland101

Posted January 28, 2007 - 11:21 PM

Ok this is a very simple problem and here is the answer, R-E-K-L-U-S-E. And what does dat spell? Been there and dun it trying to burn up my crf450R on tight trails.http://www.thumperta...es/confused.gif
:ride:

• byggd

Posted January 29, 2007 - 05:38 AM

I agree with Indy. I run a 13/50 for tight stuff and bump it up to a 15/50 when I need some top end.

• PBDBLUE

Posted January 29, 2007 - 07:05 AM

The one downside of going lower is that the gear spacing becomes very narrow. Unless you are riding slow stuff constantly you'll find you're shifting a lot. For me 14/52 is a nice compromise.

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted January 29, 2007 - 08:50 AM

What are the transmission spec ratios in the 06 wr 450s?? Can't find them ANYWHERE!!! Not even on the yamaha website!!!!

• F6dood

Posted January 29, 2007 - 05:04 PM

You know what they say about opinions and I have one. My 02 WR uses a 52 rear w/ stock front for the same reasons that you stated. I wanted less clutch action in the tight stuff. Mission accomplished. My bike will crawl up the steepest grades at idle. It made 3rd gear a torque monster in the trails. Going smaller in the front is harder on the chain. Each link rotates a few degrees further and the chain wear is greater and gets hotter circulating around the smaller diameter front sprocket. In this case,"bigger in the rear is better". The down side; need to add a link to the chain and modify the chain guide for the bigger rear.:ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.