XR 650R & Jumping?

6 replies to this topic
  • rajflyboy

Posted November 16, 2006 - 11:54 AM

I have a 2000 XR 650R with a Title and street legal. I have 3 sets of tires for the bike. Street/MX/ and Dual Sport

I have mostly used the bike on the road and some on the trails. I have been taking my pit bike (DRZ 125L) to a local MX track and playing around a little. I am getting more interested in motocross.

My question is this. How much abuse can the 650R take on an MX track? Can I do some jumping with the bike? I have an Ohlins Rear Shock on the bike. I plan on getting a true MX bike soon but I would'nt mind taking the 650R on the track some if possible.

Thanks

• hypersthenos

Posted November 16, 2006 - 12:03 PM

I doubt very much you will do any harm to the bike. You will eventually discover its limitations as your jumping distance/heights increase due to the weight. Nonetheless it will probably take you a while to reach its limitations if you're new to MX'ing. I used to ride my woods bikes on MX tracks & enjoyed it thoroughly for the first couple of years. I did later but an MX bike after I got tired of bottoming my other ones. Just be minded of the weight & learn to adjust your suspension for the conditions & you'll have plenty of fun. It'll actually make you a better rider to learn on what you have before exploring equipment more suited to the specific application.

• rajflyboy

Posted November 16, 2006 - 12:07 PM

Thanks

I was pretty much thinking the same thing >> it will be a great learning experience on this bike. Then later on with a lighter MX bike things will be easy. I'd hate to hit a good size jump and mess up the bike though!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BWP Jockey

Posted November 16, 2006 - 05:49 PM

Pigs really can fly. I do it all the time.

• factorymx

Posted November 16, 2006 - 07:33 PM

lol bwp jockey thinks pigs can fly but really all they can do is hop.... or at least while hes ridin

• Adamsvh67

Posted November 16, 2006 - 08:01 PM

Few miles short of 300 miles on my L. Rest assured, a fat pig CAN fly...
May not be pretty, but she can fly. Gonna buy a helmet cam...
Still want to balance with a new trials though. Wish Honda made a good one still...
As a kid, my TL125 did tricks...

• eastreich

Posted November 17, 2006 - 06:41 AM

Few miles short of 300 miles on my L. Rest assured, a fat pig CAN fly...
May not be pretty, but she can fly. Gonna buy a helmet cam...
Still want to balance with a new trials though. Wish Honda made a good one still...
As a kid, my TL125 did tricks...

Honda does make a good one. They are sold under the Spanish brand name Montesa.

http://www.usmontesa.com/

Fuelie four stroke. Defending World Trials Champion.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.