Reckluse Installation?

37 replies to this topic
  • TD-3

Posted November 23, 2006 - 06:23 PM

My buddy has the perch adjuster on his and he gets a pretty good amount of drag at idle when he adjusts it to engage right above idle. Could it be that his clutch cable is a little sticky?

It could be the clutch cable. I tried a new cable with mine, but it was still inconsistant. One thing he can try is snapping the clutch lever open and closed. By this I mean pull it to the bars, then let it snap back open. This will sometimes get rid of the resistance from the whole cable/perch adjuster setup.

• byggd

Posted November 24, 2006 - 08:25 AM

i've tried all 3 ways;standard perch adjuster,dual brake/perch adjuster,and motor mounted spring. the motor mounted is by far the best feel, you might need a little more tension on the spring or the heavier one if your using the light one. also if your install gap is on the tight side it'll act that way. it might even be as simple as the wrong oil 15-40 rotella seems to work well for me(with 22C of course):worthy:

I run the heavier spring from some earlier TT advice (might even have been you). I'll try a little more tension but my gap is on the tight side. My thinking was that as the plates wear the gap will increase. Question, when you install a rear brake in place of the clutch do you lose the foot brake?

• ncmountainman

Posted November 25, 2006 - 03:20 PM

I run the heavier spring from some earlier TT advice (might even have been you). I'll try a little more tension but my gap is on the tight side. My thinking was that as the plates wear the gap will increase. Question, when you install a rear brake in place of the clutch do you lose the foot brake?

they offer both setups,i opted for no foot brake just to keep the confusion down. after about 4-5 rides you finally stop reaching your foot for it.

• adlostatsea

Posted December 31, 2006 - 07:53 PM

OK I know its new years and all but I am installing my rekluse for a ride tommorow and the gap is way too tight not even close to the specs. I have replaced 7 of the stock clutch plates with the new ones. What am I missing here?

• ncmountainman

Posted December 31, 2006 - 08:39 PM

if memory serves correctly i only start out with 2 or 3 of the rekluse plates. just because they give you 7 that doesn't mean you use them right off the bat. they are for down the road as your friction plates wear and you lose spec changing them one by one as it wears. (which takes awhile) i've never used more than 5:excuseme:

• YZ426F Rider

Posted December 31, 2006 - 09:01 PM

OK I know its new years and all but I am installing my rekluse for a ride tommorow and the gap is way too tight not even close to the specs. I have replaced 7 of the stock clutch plates with the new ones. What am I missing here?

What ncmountainman said. Depending on what year bike you have you should only be starting out with 3-5 of the Rekluse plates plates and the remainders leave stock if memory serves me correctly. Read the instructions carefully. They give you extra plates.

• torqueme

Posted January 01, 2007 - 12:31 AM

What ncmountainman said. Depending on what year bike you have you should only be starting out with 3-5 of the Rekluse plates plates and the remainders leave stock if memory serves me correctly. Read the instructions carefully. They give you extra plates.

Yes, what ncmountainman & yz426f rider said is correct. i just installed mine last month & only used 2 rekluse drive plates & i'm right at .030 (minimum gap). the rest remain stock drive plates. remember, depending on year of your bike, you MUST remove the clutch boss sping (both rings) from the inside of the clutch pack / hub. this could result in clearance problems if left in. i also replaced the skinny friction plate designed to fit around the spring boss with a full sized friction plate-works much better. you can download complete install instructions from rekluse's web site & they don't come any clearer. follow them to the letter, they are also very helpful over the phone. great outfit...

Where in HI are you adlostatsea ???

• adlostatsea

Posted January 01, 2007 - 01:24 AM

On Oahu. And I have followed the directions to the T. I started off with replacing 5 plates and went to 7 because the gap is too close. The rekluse plates are thiner than the stock therefore I added more. still not even close. I would call but I'm sure they will be closed tommorow. Thanks for the help, I'll keep messing with it. AD

• torqueme

Posted January 01, 2007 - 01:42 AM

On Oahu. And I have followed the directions to the T. I started off with replacing 5 plates and went to 7 because the gap is too close. The rekluse plates are thiner than the stock therefore I added more. still not even close. I would call but I'm sure they will be closed tommorow. Thanks for the help, I'll keep messing with it. AD

You've got that backwards. the rekluse plates are .055" & the oem plates are .047". if you have a micrometer, measure them because they vary slightly. you should need no more than 1 or 2 rekluse drive plates on initial installation if your friction plates are in decent shape. that is why your gap is too tight-too many THICKER rekluse drive plates. do you ride kahuku?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted January 01, 2007 - 06:17 AM

yup....bassackwards. :lol:

• fishwater

Posted January 01, 2007 - 06:54 AM

I just installed my Rekluse last week & I started with ONE plate, then I measured my gap. It was close so I then removed another stock plate & installed the Rekluse plate. Now I have two Rekluse .055 plates & it is perfect.

• adlostatsea

Posted January 01, 2007 - 11:27 AM

OK I'm going to try taking some out, but I'm looking at the instructions right now and it says the stock is .062mm and the rekluse are .047mm. Hope you are right. Yes I ride kahuku was racing for a while till I nosed a double and dislocated my elbow "Note to self don't race with bark busters" or just don't nose dive on a double. I still ride the track when I go up there but I like to trail ride alot too. I have been riding in Whitmore and Mililani alot too. Anyway thanks again for the help I'm going to go try it now. Where are you YZ426F Rider ?

• YZ426F Rider

Posted January 01, 2007 - 11:52 AM

OK I'm going to try taking some out, but I'm looking at the instructions right now and it says the stock is .062mm and the rekluse are .047mm. Hope you are right. Yes I ride kahuku was racing for a while till I nosed a double and dislocated my elbow "Note to self don't race with bark busters" or just don't nose dive on a double. I still ride the track when I go up there but I like to trail ride alot too. I have been riding in Whitmore and Mililani alot too. Anyway thanks again for the help I'm going to go try it now. Where are you YZ426F Rider ?

What bike are you installing this on? I'm in Washington near Seattle.
It's raining here now if you can believe that.

• adlostatsea

Posted January 01, 2007 - 12:07 PM

I put the wrong sizes its 1.6mm stock 1.2 mm rekluse maybe its different for my crf450. I bought the clutch off ebay and think the guy may have sent me his stock plates. I'll have to get a micrometer and check to see for sure. No riding for me today.:lol:

• fishwater

Posted January 01, 2007 - 12:16 PM

I put the wrong sizes its 1.6mm stock 1.2 mm rekluse maybe its different for my crf450. I bought the clutch off ebay and think the guy may have sent me his stock plates. I'll have to get a micrometer and check to see for sure. No riding for me today.:lol:

ok, maybe I am a little confused as to why this is posted in the YZ forum if you are not installing it on a YZ but I think you should be able to tell the difference between the plates. On the YZ it is obvious even without a micrometer. For my installation on my 426 I needed to remove ONE factory steel plate then install ONE Rekluse plate, that is it. After installing & measuring the gap I decided to remove another single factory plate & replace with a Rekluse. Maybe the CRF is different but I think you may have missunderstood the directions & replaced all your factory steel plates with the Rekluse plates when that is not necessary:excuseme:

• YZ426F Rider

Posted January 01, 2007 - 12:42 PM

I'd suggest that you give Rekluse a call. The installation varied between my 426 and my buddy's '05 450 so I can only imagine that it is even more different for a CRF.

• ____Kurt____

Posted January 01, 2007 - 04:57 PM

whats the sense in a rekluse? the brake, clutch, axle? and whats so good about it?

• flintlock28

Posted January 01, 2007 - 05:59 PM

It is great for people who off-road a lot in Singletrack conditions. Ever try to climb a steep, wet, leave covered, trail from a dead stop or nearly stopped, that's 90 degrees from the way you're going?? I haven't tried a Rekluse yet, but in that scenario, I could see it shining.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.