Bike Noise

I'm ready to buy a 06 YZ450F but, where I ride they require all 450's run a FMF Q,Q2 exhaust. I keep hearing that the 07 is Quiet. Do you think it is as quiet as the Q2? They will do a test on the pipe to see if it will meet the noise level. Maybe I should get the 07 if I wouldn't have to buy a new pipe.

Any thoughts!!

I'm ready to buy a 06 YZ450F but, where I ride they require all 450's run a FMF Q,Q2 exhaust. I keep hearing that the 07 is Quiet. Do you think it is as quiet as the Q2? They will do a test on the pipe to see if it will meet the noise level. Maybe I should get the 07 if I wouldn't have to buy a new pipe.

Any thoughts!!

require all 450s to run a FMF quiet exhaust? unbelievable.....I hope you have more than one place to ride

Shoudn't matter what brand of pipe as long as it passes a sound check if they want to be that picky. A couple of weeks ago at a local track a couple of guys were chasing each other around one on an '06 the other on an '07, the '07 was considerably less loud. I don't know if it is FMF Q,Q2 quiet, but it was one of the mellowest sounding bikes I have heard yet.

• 3 months later...

I ride an 07 yz450f and its very quiet. I had a yz250f and a yz450f, both 2003's and both with exhausts and the 07 is way quieter than both of them. I've heard its around 93 db? I dont know exactly but I can say that its so quiet when riding that I can hear the rest of the bike, like the chain and the engine, rather than just a really loud exhaust. I like the way it sounds, has a nice aggressive tone, its just quieter than a lot of bikes.

I doubt its 93 decibels. Putting around, the 07's are fairly quiet but when you open it up they aren't. My neighbor can hear me coming from far away. I don't doubt that they are quieter than older models but I'm sure you still have to modify the exhaust to meet noise requirements.

I have an 07 450f and yes as everyone else has said it is very quiet. In this months TransworldMX (I THINK) the issue with the 450f shootout they said the yamaha was around a 93.7 if i remeber correctly. Which is like 3 decibles lower than any other stock bike. Im guessing with a Q2 it would actually make it a little louder...

Unfortunately I am not a 07 owner, yet, I have seen a reading of 96dBA for the stock exhaust system in 2 different reports and have had back up from a new owner. I know the diameter of the opening is smaller, is the packing used any different from the older models? I was thinking of some material like the high end new packing I have seen out.

Bill