650L BIG Bore kits

4 replies to this topic
  • oldchvytrx

Posted November 16, 2006 - 09:39 AM

Hi All,
I'm new here and have a question.
Anyone have any experiences with large bore kits for the 650 L? I'm looking at one done by an outfit called Kustom Kraft that has a sleeve and slug displacing 720 cc. It requires boring the cases and before going thru all the expense and hassle of doing this I'd like some input either pro or con!?
Overheating? Exsessive ring or piston skirt wear?
The guy I bought the bike from neglected to inform me that the jug had already been bored to 101mm and it shows some taper. It's either go bigger or find a stock jug and start over. I see Wiesco offers a 102.4 but I'm afraid the stock jug just won't have enough metal left to cool properly or resist hotspots and/or warping?!
What do Ya'all think? Any help?
:cheers: :p :crazy: :bonk:

• 450 vet

Posted November 22, 2006 - 06:35 AM

Go with the wiseco kit,as long as you dont let the motor get too hot you shouldnt have to worry about warping the cylinder.Try not to run a high compression ratio because that will increase operating temps as well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rebelventurer

Posted November 22, 2006 - 01:03 PM

The 720 kit runs too hot, and is not worth the machine work!
I would run the JE piston in no higher compression than 10.5:1, you should be alright with the 102.4 bore. Give Kamell or Chris a call at xrs only they have lots of experience with these motors, and they sell all kinds of good engine parts for the L. Welcome to TT and good luck let us know what you do! Check out www.xrsonly.com :cheers:

• eastreich

Posted November 22, 2006 - 01:11 PM

You may want to also check with XR's Only and see if they could weld on cylinder fin extensions. I know that this was done on the Baja XR's back in the day before the 650R to help keep the cylinders cool on the full race XR628's.

• zodran

Posted November 22, 2006 - 04:55 PM

I've run over 10k with a resleeved cylinder at 102.4 mm bore. Do it! A mild cam and 10.25 or 10.5 to 1 compression makes it into what it should be, ~50hp.:cheers:

Related Content

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.