I know, I know, Stupid Bar Question

14 replies to this topic
  • snowman02

Posted November 16, 2006 - 07:54 AM

Here is the jist of it. I have taken 20 years off from riding, I am rode hard and put to bed wet, 40 yrs old, am 6'3" 240lbs and ride a 2002 WR426. Took the kids out riding last weekend, everything going great, till my frontend washes out in a turn, and i'll be damned if the hadelbars dont have a big bend to them.... I am assuming stock bars :p

Like i stated i am returning from hiatus, and things have changed alot in 20 years. I have researched about bars and there is so much info like Rise, Sweep, Thickness, and Pro riders Bends. So to the question, for all you great TT'ers. With my height and weight are there any of you similar to my size and could possibly help me with which bars to choose. :cheers:

Sorry I feel like this is a stupid question but I'm trying to get as much info as possible to purchase the right equipment, seeing that parts now a days have risen in cost about as fast as i have aged.. Thank you fellow TT'ers

• MSHAM

Posted November 16, 2006 - 08:24 AM

I just replaced my stock bars after a hard get off.('06 WR450) I got a pair of Renthal twin wall bars. They are a 1-1/8" dia. bar. Protaper seems to be really popular. I wanted a cross bar though for strength and like you, that's what I had as a kid and that's what I'm used to. Keep in mind, if you go to a fatter bar you will need to get adapters for your bar mounts. I also had to buy new handguards because mine didn't fit the new bars. I went with a taller bar than stock, so that I could stand more upright on the bike. I'm not very tall either. I went with a Charmichael bend. He is a shorter rider. Kevin Windham is taller you may consider this when buying. It's sort of a pot shot. If your stock bars were comfortable go with that bend. Good luck. Others will have a different insight I'm sure.

• woodsk

Posted November 16, 2006 - 08:25 AM

I am also 6'3" and one of the best things I have ever done to either of my WR is get the right bars and raise them up. The transition to standing from sitting is much easier, and I can stand for longer distances since I am not hunched over as much.

As much as I like to purchase from the TT store, when it comes to bars www.rockymountainatv.com can't be beat. Their house brand of longhorn bars are just as high quality as the renthals ect.. but half the price. I went with the CR High Bend, with moose 7/8 to 1 1/8 bar mounts with a 30mm rise.

good luch

• jayh300

Posted November 16, 2006 - 08:46 AM

not a stupid question..... I just changed bars and was so confused. I bought a used yz400f. It had pro-taper hawkins tall bars with the adapters to mount the 1 1/8 bars to the stock clamps. I am 5'6" and the only time the bike was comfortable to me was standing. I did a lot of research and ended up with the yz80 mini pro tapers and correct mount and I love them. We put the hawkins pro tapers on a friend of mine's bike. He is 6-1 and loves them over his stock bars. He said he always felt hunched over before. A guy in a tt post told me to get on the bike as if you were riding it, close your eyes, and put your hands where you are comfortable in a riding position. That would be the starting place for bar selection.... worked for me
good luck
jay

• JRAMBO

Posted November 16, 2006 - 08:46 AM

I am only about 6'0ft 215-220 but ya I bought a good set of renthals but I noticed they need to up a little more have stock triple and riser.I also have an 02 WR 426.If you get them up you will be able to stand so much easier.That was one thing I noticed about the 07 WR was the riding position bars up alot more very nice.

• Asgeir

Posted November 16, 2006 - 12:25 PM

Talking about the cause for the bent bar, the front end wash.

Is the suspension set up for your weight ?

I did mine and what a change. Change springs front and rear and adjust properly.

• snowman02

Posted November 16, 2006 - 06:31 PM

First of all thank you all for the info. I will probably check out the windham bend.

2nd Asgeir, i am not sure about the front end being set up for my weight, i bought the bike used, and dint meet the previous owner. This i do know, i think most of it was my fault though, i was making a right turn up a sand washed hill and i hit a hard rut, and there i went, :cheers: over compensated, now buying bars:bonk: Now Asgeir if you have some info for me about maybe checking this part of the bike out let me know, i'm willing to try anything.
Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 123BigcoopDawg576

Posted November 16, 2006 - 07:31 PM

First of all thank you all for the info. I will probably check out the windham bend.

2nd Asgeir, i am not sure about the front end being set up for my weight, i bought the bike used, and dint meet the previous owner. This i do know, i think most of it was my fault though, i was making a right turn up a sand washed hill and i hit a hard rut, and there i went, :cheers: over compensated, now buying bars:bonk: Now Asgeir if you have some info for me about maybe checking this part of the bike out let me know, i'm willing to try anything.
Thanks

before you buy bars think about getting at stablizer with bars. this is what i did and i love my set up. i have a gpr 2.0 with triple clamp and rc low bends. my bars are a good 3 inchs higher and its makes for some nice riding. i am 6'1

• Asgeir

Posted November 16, 2006 - 11:55 PM

Thanks

I went with Race Tech rear and front springs as well as their Gold valves, I found great difference. The bike is more stable going through turns, does not bottom out on harder landings. The bike feels lighter.

I went 2 places up in rear spring and 1 place up in front springs, I weigh 97kg without gear. I adjusted the settings like Race Tech recommended as well as race sag of rear spring and have not touched it since.

Before, I was always nervous about front wash. I hit whoops harder, were before I was bending my knees to dampen the movement of the bike as the suspension was not up for the task.

I made the decision after beeing thrown of the bike in one nasty whoops section.

Race Tech has a automatic calculator for springs on their website, and when I had the Gold Valves I could access more info about settings with a password that came with the sets.

• snowman02

Posted November 17, 2006 - 05:12 AM

Thank you Bigcoopdawg and Asgeir for the recomendations. I do need to get a stabilizer, once i get the cash for one, they are just so pricie. And the suspension set up you have dawg sounds great, i will definatley check into prices for that as well. With getting back in the saddle again, i'm getting a better feel for the ride, so any changes and help i can get from you folks here is a great help. Thank you

• DrThumper

Posted November 17, 2006 - 09:19 AM

Being that tall I would go buy a Renthal 6" 0r 6.5" bend. Used to be called the Desert/Vintage bend. From one old school MXer to another, you'll find the feel and height reminiscent of your old days on that old 2 stroke. Comes in 7/8" and, bonus, a steering stabilizer will fit under the crossbar (you remember what a crossbar is don't you...these kids nowadays have forgotten with there fancy shmancy twin-walled fat-tube woop-tee-doo bars they sell now).

• snowman02

Posted November 17, 2006 - 10:43 AM

Thank you Doc. I'll look into that as well. Ya getting the bars to fit me like my old 465 would be nice. LOL at Kids comment. My kids are the same as all the rest. Remebering old days mixing fuel, riding till rubber was bald, crashing and fixing all bends right there at crash site, gotta love steele vs. aluminum (cant bend back without cracks unless you heat it) Again thanks for the memories Doc.

• Gadsen

Posted November 17, 2006 - 06:32 PM

If you after the 1 and 1/8" bars, twinwalls. If you keep the 7/8" I'd go with the Pro Taper "SE" and get the CR bend. The CR bars are also higher than the stock WR/YZ bars. And you heigth, you need taller bars. I'm only 6'0" and the stock bars were too low for me. I was always leaning over, going downhills was the toughest part. Beat up my shoulders. I'm sure you will need taller ones that I.

• 300wby

Posted November 17, 2006 - 07:29 PM

I'll repeat from an earlier post. Its not a stupid question. In fact I'm in the same boat. I bent my stock renthals and purchased pro tapers, for the life of me i cant remember the bend, and i'm still not confortable.

My golden rule regarding saving money on equipment/hardware is "Buy it right the first time." It has always worked well for me except regarding bars.

Now i want to get my 3xclaps raised and a still have a tall and wide yet flat bar.
It's crazy but damnit if the bars dont make the bike.
I apologize because the only advice i have is keep trying....its a feel thing not a measurement.
PEACE

• boer

Posted November 18, 2006 - 08:11 AM

I am about 6'4" and have the protaper pastrana bars with adapters. This works great for me. Additionally I put on some fastway pegs in the lower position which helped a lot too, especially in lowering the centre of gravity abit. I feel a lot more comfortable now than ever

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.