Enzo subtanks

13 replies to this topic
  • TapptOut

Posted November 16, 2006 - 07:29 AM

Are they universal fit? Or bike specific?

• grayracer513

Posted November 16, 2006 - 08:45 AM

They can be used on pretty much anything, with some modification, and you'll get some benefit from them, but the fork should be re-valved for them to be optimal. What were you thinking of doing exactly?

• TapptOut

Posted November 16, 2006 - 11:46 AM

I have them on my 01 yz250 but i want them on my 06 yz450. Will they fit?

• Ga426owner

Posted November 16, 2006 - 01:11 PM

I have them on my 01 yz250 but i want them on my 06 yz450. Will they fit?

Personally I see no reason to use these on a 06 -
but if you must, yes they will work - use the carrier or buy an extra set for the 06 from Enzo
plz tell me you are revalving per enzo spec on the 06/they may have to add the connectors to the top of the forks?

• grayracer513

Posted November 16, 2006 - 02:33 PM

I have to agree. While they may reduce the sensitivity to oil level that the '06 fork has, I doubt they would do very much to improve it. The fork caps will need to be drilled for the Enzo sub tank fittings. While they resemble the OEM thread, and use an O-ring in the same way that the OEM bleeder does, it's a different, larger thread, and is counter bored for the seal. The alternative is to drill and tap to 1/8" NPT and use pipe threaded fittings.

The tank carriers would also be somewhat undersized for your forks.

• TapptOut

Posted November 16, 2006 - 04:32 PM

well honestly i dont ride a whole lotta mx and the suspension sucks in deep sand wash whoops and braking up straight from a high speed straight away

• grayracer513

Posted November 16, 2006 - 04:44 PM

Then I'd say it was time to get some work done on it. I really doubt that tanks by themselves will do you much good. If your problem is harshness, try removing 5cc of oil at a time from each outer chamber and see how it goes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Blue4Ever

Posted November 16, 2006 - 07:13 PM

ENZORACING SUBTANK SYSTEM
The enzoracing SUBTANK SYSTEM is a performance upgrade addition to your front fork. It creates a new performance dimension by providing "speed sensitivity" to the spring characteristic. Conventionally, the spring element of suspension is load/position sensitive only. The damping element of suspension is speed sensitive only. Both elements have specific functions but cannot do what the other does, that is why they work together. However, by manipulating the "air spring" in the fork, the ENZO SUBTANK SYSTEM adds "speed sensitivity" to the fork spring. When the fork compresses at slower speeds, it gives the smooth, plush action of a low oil level. But when the fork compresses at higher speeds, it gives the firm, progressive action of a high oil level. Adjustment on the SUBTANK controls the speed at which the system activates.(copied off ENZO web site.).
If you ride mostly trails get your forks revalved then add the tanks. It will not hurt to try them before since you have them.

• TapptOut

Posted November 16, 2006 - 10:16 PM

I love my suspension the 250! My 450 is just not on par on little things. On the track is feels really nice.

• grayracer513

Posted November 17, 2006 - 09:18 AM

(subtank systems create) a new performance dimension by providing "speed sensitivity" to the spring characteristic. ...When the fork compresses at slower speeds, it gives the smooth, plush action of a low oil level. But when the fork compresses at higher speeds, it gives the firm, progressive action of a high oil level. Adjustment on the SUBTANK controls the speed at which the system activates.

It will not hurt to try them before since you have them.

It won't hurt to try them, except that your fork caps will be permanently modified in the process. They are replaceable, of course, or you could figure out another way to plug the holes if the taanks are removed.

Enzo's quote on the function of the sub tank is essentially accurate in regard to its effect on the air spring. But there are a couple of things to consider. First, not all damping systems are totally speed sensitive. The '05 YZF and the '06 KX450F use the KYB AOSS fork, which is position sensitive. But the '06 is a speed-sensitive system, so that's a moot point here.

The other is that sub tanks are intended to bring speed sensitivity to fork systems that don't have any. Look at the forks that brought about their introduction, the circa 2000 KYB. The problem was that if the oil level was lowered to allow a plush ride over the little stuff (slow speed compression), they bottomed on the big stuff (high speed), and worse, they were so low at that point that they worked foam into the oil and faded. If the oil was high enough to stop that from happening, the fork became intolerably harsh. The answer was to increase the air capacity with an added tank. This, in one way of looking at it, decreased the "compression ratio" of the fork. That let the rider run a higher oil level to avoid bottoming and foaming without raising the internal air pressure so high that it caused harshness. Adding the metered air flow feature later provided the rider a way to run even softer compression damping because it made the air spring component speed sensitive.

The difference here is that the fork on the '06 is already a very speed sensitive fork. As you have noticed, it's extraordinarily smooth over the little ragged sections, and even the braking bumps in berms leading into turns. The really big stuff can seem too harsh with this set up, but since that's exactly what an air tank system seeks to accomplish, what will you gain by it?

I suggest first removing 5 or 10 cc of oil from the outer chambers. MXA did this, and found it very sensitive to such changes. In fact, they started with 10, and added 5 back because they thought it got too soft. That done, play with the compression settings some more.

And then, you can have the fork revalved, too. In your case, since you own the tanks, you can always try them without much expense. Just be aware that the results may not be the same as with the older forks.

• TapptOut

Posted November 17, 2006 - 08:50 PM

No its opposite. I like it over the big stuff and hate it over the little stuff like braking bumps and stuff like that especially right after high speed straights or downhills. But thank you for the input it is greatly appreciated.

• grayracer513

Posted November 18, 2006 - 08:52 AM

Then fiddle with the oil level and the clickers. You should be able to get it right as they are.

• Blue4Ever

Posted November 18, 2006 - 02:11 PM

For the area of improvement your looking for the tanks should help. Do a search on TT and you will find that even w/the twin chamber forks most have been please w/the results. The oil level will have the greatest effect on your bottoming and deeper into the stroke. The clicker should help over all. If I were you I would give the tanks a shot. Since you already have them. If they do not get the results you are after you can get a 1/4 npt plug for the caps. But I think you will at least get some of the improvememt you are looking for. :cheers:

• TapptOut

Posted November 18, 2006 - 10:43 PM

Should i get a revalve before or after?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.