YZ front number plate....

6 replies to this topic
  • rwcfrank

Posted December 22, 2001 - 03:15 PM

I am in the process of installing a YZ front plate on my WR. I am almost done... Can anyone answer these questions???

1) Is it okay to run with the lower front brake line guide only??

2) What did you use to hold the top of the number plate down??? The WR doesnt have the threaded boss for the stock mounting...

Thanks.........

• BikeDestroyer

Posted December 22, 2001 - 03:28 PM

Answer to question 1) is yes
question 2) I don't know I have aftermarket clamps & I ended up using a nylon spacer.

• blackie

Posted December 23, 2001 - 06:48 AM

What year are your WRs? I am also planning on putting the YZ number plate on my WR and I noticed that the top triple clamp mount is just opposite of the YZ mount. I though that I would just add a spacer like bikedestroyer suggested.

Have either of you removed your speedometer cable? I was wondering if there are any plugs available for the hub. I did see some speedometer plugs at http://www.ziptyracing.com/, but they were for Honda/Suzuki. Any suggestions?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YAMAKAZE

Posted December 23, 2001 - 08:56 AM

Easy Fix....

Take the top nylon guide off the lower tripple clamp mount on the right side, then get a 6mm nut and bolt. Put the brake line through the nylon guide. Line up the hose and drill a hole where the guide best lines up with the travel of the hose. use a little locktite blue to ensure the nut doesn't come loose and you're done...

also drill a small hole in each of the lower prongs on the YZ number plate and through the center prong as well. Use nylon ties to secure the plate to the trippleclamp and forks.

Works good, lasts long time...

Simple huh?

Bonzai :)

[ December 23, 2001: Message edited by: YAMAKAZE ]

• MOmilkman

Posted December 23, 2001 - 05:23 PM

Originally posted by blackie:
Have either of you removed your speedometer cable? I was wondering if there are any plugs available for the hub. I did see some speedometer plugs at http://www.ziptyracing.com/, but they were for Honda/Suzuki. Any suggestions?

Blackie,

This is what you want.
Posted Image
Odometer Eliminator 1998-2002 Yamaha 250/400/426 WR
Code: 21-03
Price: $34.95

Go to www.flatlandracing.com click "Catalog" then "Odometer Eliminators"

This is what I have. It totally replaces the stock odometer drive. It looks much more sano than plugging the stock unit. :)

[ December 23, 2001: Message edited by: MOmilkman ]

• Bill

Posted December 23, 2001 - 05:33 PM

Here's some info from doing my 99. I closed the chuck of my cordless drill to the size of the holes at the bottom of my triple clamp (the two holes that the number plate go into) and use this to "machine down" the pins on the number plate. Kind of like reverse turning.

Then I bent a piece of plumbers tape at, about a 45 degree angle and used this to afix the top bolt hole in the plate to the odometer mount hole.

I also ordered the YZ spacer and seal for the axle. Darrins piece was not available back then.

Bill

• blackie

Posted December 23, 2001 - 05:43 PM

Thanks MOmilkman.... I have been looking for that thing for some time, but the local shops said to just shove a spark plug protector cap into the hole with some glue!

I'm ordering the part ASAP!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.