Starting Problems on '06 YZ450

4 replies to this topic
  • Mxkidd38

Posted November 15, 2006 - 07:47 PM

About 2-3 months ago my bike just stopped starting as I was at practice, After a bunch of different tests we figured out it was an electrical problem, I winded up replacing the "rotor assembly", because one of the wires on the coil (i belive thats what its called) ripped. Now I'm stuck with a similar problem, except the bike just died on me while I was riding, and it won't start back up. I have a feeling it's the same thing again. Anybody have this problem or hear of it being a common issue on these bikes?

• kylwk1500

Posted November 15, 2006 - 08:36 PM

that actually happened to my 06. The stator was replaced just like yours. I havn't had a problem since. You should test for spark by removing the spark plug, sticking it back in the sleave, barely touch it to the side of your engine, and then kick it over. If you see spark. Then it's round two. I'd check the basics first. I don't know how many times i have dove deep into a problem just to find that it was something simple. Good luck! Let us know what you figure out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mxkidd38

Posted November 15, 2006 - 09:25 PM

Yup that was the first thing we did. No spark, that's why I'm guessing it's that. We ripped it apart and can't really see anything, but there's a bunch of debris of some sort, which looks like it might be coming from the coil area. I dunno if it's getting burnt up or whatever else it might be, last time the reason the wire split was cause it burnt out.

• kylwk1500

Posted November 16, 2006 - 03:36 AM

ya i would just check all of your contact points (grounds). Maybe throw in a new spark plug. Otherwise it could just be an internal issue with the coil pack or ignition box. Kinda hard to trouble shoot those without having a different one to throw on, or get it over to a dealer. Good luck

• JohnnyOfast

Posted November 16, 2006 - 08:23 AM

ya i would just check all of your contact points (grounds). Maybe throw in a new spark plug. Otherwise it could just be an internal issue with the coil pack or ignition box. Kinda hard to trouble shoot those without having a different one to throw on, or get it over to a dealer. Good luck

Seems to be an issue with '06 stators (I hope not '07!!)

Someone wrote in with the same problem to MXA and they said it was the stator cause their's went bad too and since the factory is out of them that's also an indicator they go bad.

But of course they add that it isn't common (yeah, that's why there on back order -> making excuses for a manufacturer.) Don't get me wrong, I think Yamah is the best, but it obviously IS an issue.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.