FMF Mega Bomb Real Gains or Just a lot of Hype?

11 replies to this topic
  • 4stroked

Posted November 15, 2006 - 04:26 PM

I am looking to put a complete system on my 2006 YZ450f. Wondering if anyone has tried the mega bomb and or power bomb. The concept sounds good on paper, but it is reality are there any measurable gains or is it all a gimmick? Thanks for you help.

• kylwk1500

Posted November 15, 2006 - 04:38 PM

i have the megabomb header on my 06 450. I think it really complements it well. The bike runs absolutely awsome. Major power. I didnt really run the bike without it, but i know how these bikes should run stock. I'd say that i am inmmressed.It definately looks cool, and many will comment about it. The only drawback that i see is that there is just more sticking out there to potentially get dented if you lay your bike down. Luckily i havn't yet. I would say that overall i give it a 9 out of 10. Check it out in my garage if you wan to see how it looks. I also run the factory 4.1 exhaust. It sounds and runs great to.

• grayracer513

Posted November 15, 2006 - 05:02 PM

Conceptually, the idea is less to produce the most possible power at any one point than it is to produce as much as possible over the broadest possible range. The 'Bomb headers fool the engine into seeing the header as having no specific length, behaving as though it were both long and short. Every dyno chart (those not done by FMF) I've seen comparing different pipes on the same bike shows that they accomplish this most of the time, even though the peak figures may be slightly lower than with other systems.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted November 15, 2006 - 09:00 PM

What about noise. I have heard the 'Bomb' is supposed to be much quieter. :cheers: Any numbers on that?

• TapptOut

Posted November 15, 2006 - 10:32 PM

I can vouge for the quieter part!

• GreenKLX

Posted November 15, 2006 - 10:38 PM

Like gray said, it keeps the smoothness of the new YZ, while boosting power. Personally, I would like to know how big of a difference there is b/t the power-bomb and mega-bomb head pipes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TapptOut

Posted November 16, 2006 - 07:40 AM

I dont think the power-bomb and mega bomb are designed for the same thing. Otherwise FMF wouldnt make 2 pipes doing the same thing.

• grayracer513

Posted November 16, 2006 - 08:49 AM

What about noise. I have heard the 'Bomb' is supposed to be much quieter. :cheers: Any numbers on that?

FMF states, "up to 1.5db"

• dwnlowx

Posted November 16, 2006 - 10:21 AM

:cheers: I have the setup and it is very quiet compared to alot of the others i ve heard ,IT MAKES GREAT POWER I JUST DYNOED MY BIKE AND I GOT 50 HP AND 34 TQ ,I LOVE THIS PIPE SETUP THE ONLY OTHER PIPE THAT COMPARES IS THE DR.D CARBON SYSTEM

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted November 16, 2006 - 11:06 AM

THE ONLY OTHER PIPE THAT COMPARES IS THE DR.D CARBON SYSTEM

Yeah, I had a DR. D. I wish I would have kept it, plus its half the price.

• GreenKLX

Posted November 16, 2006 - 11:09 AM

I dont think the power-bomb and mega bomb are designed for the same thing. Otherwise FMF wouldnt make 2 pipes doing the same thing.

I thought they did the same thing, just that the mega-bomb did more of it.:cheers:

• TapptOut

Posted November 17, 2006 - 07:55 AM

I thought they did the same thing, just that the mega-bomb did more of it.:cheers:

Mine is just a guess. But i thought it would make more sense to make one like the mega bomb for example to be more Mid-Top which is what you get. And the powerbomb bottom-mid. Which is where i felt it at least...But im not 100% sure on what FMF claims

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.