Which aftermarket tank for '06 YZ450 Clarke or IMS?

14 replies to this topic
  • 4stroked

Posted November 15, 2006 - 04:24 PM

Wondering what the experience has been with gas tanks, fit, finish and feel. I don't need alot more gas mainly interested in putting a dry break for racing. Please give me your opinions. Thanks for your help.

• tmauto69

Posted November 15, 2006 - 05:32 PM

I just put an IMS on mine, and ran a HS this past sunday. I didn't even really notice it was there. Which is good IMO.
heh, I guess what I should have said was I didn't really notice a difference between it and the stock tank...

• lastchild

Posted November 15, 2006 - 05:39 PM

I just put an IMS on mine as well...fit is good, but I had to afroengineer the seat a bit.
Holds plenty of fuel and I hardly notice it's there.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted November 15, 2006 - 08:57 PM

After putting a Clarke on my WR, its gonna be another Clarke on my YZ. :cheers:

• OcotilloBound

Posted November 16, 2006 - 01:04 AM

I just put an IMS on mine as well...fit is good, but I had to afroengineer the seat a bit.

Hee-Hee - that's rich.

I'm leaning toward a clear IMS for my 06. I have a Clarke on my YZ250, since all I do is desert ride, but it sucks. For one, it makes it almost impossible to access the plug, and on a two-stroke that you desert ride, well, that can be a once a day swap. For another, the design is poor. To utilize the fuel in the lower tank on the side opposite the petcock, you have to practically turn the bike upside down to get it to switch sides. And lastly, it forces the front of the seat up at such a dramatic angle that it looks, well, afroengineered, and makes it difficult to reinstall after removal. But it is a 3.8 gal tank, so that volume has to be displaced somehow. What capacity are the IMS's for the 06 YZ450F? 3.6 or something? I'd prefer a 3.1 or something a little smaller, although with the radiators mounted so low, there's actually a lot more room up there than on my YZ250, so who's to say? Any gripes about carb or engine access with an IMS mounted? I'm curious...

• tmauto69

Posted November 16, 2006 - 04:22 AM

Yeah, the seat was a pain to get on, but I didn't have to "afroengineer" :cheers: anything, you just have to
push it as hard as you can forward. Carb access is a pain
anyway, with or without the tank nothing changes there.
Accessing the top of the engine is another thing that was a
pain before and after. So really nothing changes, except you
can ride longer. BTW motosport lists it at 3.1 gallons.

• mrmoto

Posted November 16, 2006 - 10:08 AM

Clarke tank for me... IMS never really fit quite right. Zero problems with the Clarke tank, it just bolted right up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 16, 2006 - 11:07 AM

To utilize the fuel in the lower tank on the side opposite the petcock, you have to practically turn the bike upside down to get it to switch sides.

Did it occur to you to install a petcock on both sides? The tank should come with embedded brass mounting nuts on both sides, and drilled on neither, so you have your choice of having it on either side, or both. IMS tanks typically come with fittings pre-installed for a crossover tube, but because of this, the tank must be drained to remove it. That could be a major hassle in the event you need to access the spark plug out in the middle of nowhere. With the Clarke, you shut the fuel off and pull the tank like a normal bike. With cocks on both sides, you have the best of both choices.

• KTMKarl

Posted November 16, 2006 - 01:10 PM

Ims for 06 YZFs doesn't require two petcocks, I believe he was refering to the 2-stroke tank. I used an IMS on my 06, had to trim the slot for the front seat stay slightly but not a big deal at all. Otherwise fit and functions perfectly and is hardly even noticable while riding.

• KTMKarl

Posted November 16, 2006 - 01:16 PM

PS: I had a two petcock IMS/Zip-Ty tank on an 04 YZF, I only ran a left side petcock and used fuel cell foam on that same side to hold splashed fuel near the petcock, worked wonderfully, any rough riding at all would splash the fuel over to the foam side easily. May not work near as well on smooth riding.

• grayracer513

Posted November 16, 2006 - 03:05 PM

Ims for 06 YZFs doesn't require two petcocks,

Yes, I know. I mentioned that. The IMS for an '03 doesn't either. The question on the IMS was whether, like an '03, the '06 would have a crossover line.

I believe he was refering to the 2-stroke tank.

Yes, at least, that's what he said. He was also referring to a Clarke when he mentioned his fuel troubles.

• OcotilloBound

Posted November 16, 2006 - 03:59 PM

Ims for 06 YZFs doesn't require two petcocks, I believe he was refering to the 2-stroke tank. I used an IMS on my 06, had to trim the slot for the front seat stay slightly but not a big deal at all. Otherwise fit and functions perfectly and is hardly even noticable while riding.

You are correct, I was referring to my tank on the 2 stroke. And no, it doesn't have the multiple petcock possibility - there is only one side setup for a petcock.
I was wondering about the seat stay on the IMS for the 06 though - thanks for reassuring me about that, and that it is unobtrusive. To me that is the worst part about the Clarke on my YZ250 - it is a monster. But I have yet to run out of fuel completely on it, which, as you know, is becoming a problem since so few people ride 2 strokes these days - you can't just flag anyone down and get a little fuel anymore, unlike w/the thumper. I prefer not to run out at all, though, and that is why I'm considering buying the IMS. Sometimes you get out on long rides, especially in Ocotillo, and you really need the extra capacity, and I hate lugging fuel around. All I usually carry is a fanny pack w/inflator, map, cell, sunglasses, knife, and a couple tools, plus my Camelbak and it holds a tow strap, so I like to travel light.

• grayracer513

Posted November 16, 2006 - 04:18 PM

No GPS?

The Clarke I got for my '06 does have both sides set up for fuel cocks, hence my question. Maybe it's something they just started doing. Nice touch, though.

• OcotilloBound

Posted November 16, 2006 - 05:11 PM

I had a GPS but I haven't been able to find it. Besides, it wouldn't really help me much. I know my way around there pretty well, and with a map, I just need to find a point of reference to get my way. I've spent my entire life sailing, so navigation to me is something that comes naturally. I'm the type who never gets lost, and even if I'm riding in a car, I could wake up after a nap and tell which direction I'm headed and where i am almost uncannily. So I haven't really looked too hard to find my GPS. It's kinda nice for finding elevations though. Even my natural navigation senses can't always figure that out without some help.

• KTMKarl

Posted November 16, 2006 - 06:25 PM

I'm with ya on the natural navigation, if I have been near there once I can almost always figure it out, its just that one time.......well you know! lol

In Ozarks dual sporting (illegal as hell 80% trail 10% fire road 10%highway)my YZF450 has been getting better than 42mpg, pretty good for the terrain. Aren't four strokes nice for getting out and away. Thats an easy 110 miles with plenty of reserve with the IMS, plenty more if the going is easy.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.