Advice on right side case.

9 replies to this topic
  • Pukeballs

Posted November 15, 2006 - 03:48 PM

Hello. The other day I was installing a Boyesen water pump cover and impeller kit on my '05 yz450. I had to take off the right side case, brake lever, and kick start. I also took off the clutch cover and springs. So long story short, I installed the water cover and impeller, bolted the right side case up, put the clutch springs and cover back on, reinstalled the brake lever and kickstart. Filled it up with new oil and engine ice. Started it up and sounded fine. No leaks around the water cover. :cheers: The next day I was putting some tools away and I noticed a copper washer and a small ball bearing about a 1/4 inch in diameter laying on the floor where my bike was. At first I thought it was the ball inside of the pushrod in the clutch. I took the cover and removed the springs and checked, but it was in there. Aaargh!!! This is driving me crazy. I've searched the manual to see if I can spot where a ball bearing would come from, but the only ball I can find is the pushrod ball. Does anyone have any idea where this part goes? I dont want to smoke my motor just because of a small missing part. Thanks in advance.

• tnl

Posted November 15, 2006 - 07:55 PM

If you don't get any good answers and I'm pretty sure you will, go to http://oem.thumperta...Z450Findex.aspx and view the OEM parts that you removed and look for those items that were leftover. Also, if your garage is like mine and it's not spotless, think of the last little project that you did that might of contained those left over parts in it?

• Pukeballs

Posted November 15, 2006 - 09:36 PM

Great idea! I just looked at the kickstarter diagram and found it. Its the little ball that goes in the spring on the top of the kickstart. http://oem.thumperta...ickstarter.aspx
Its part #21. Thanks for your help. Sometimes it takes an outside observer to point out the obvious. Really appreciate you looking into it for me. Your definatly gettin some gas from me.

• grayracer513

Posted November 16, 2006 - 08:16 AM

Great idea! I just looked at the kickstarter diagram and found it. Its the little ball that goes in the spring on the top of the kickstart.

Why would you have taken that apart? Just curious.

• ethan

Posted November 16, 2006 - 02:39 PM

I took my kickstarter apart and regreased it after it was difficult to rotate out. Now it works like new again. I think it is one of those areas that does not get enough grease from the factory, like the linkage and steering, and after 6 months of washing it starts to get dry.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pukeballs

Posted November 16, 2006 - 04:41 PM

Why would you have taken that apart? Just curious.

Theres a case bolt right under the kickstart lever that I couldnt get to with the kickstarter on. Instead of busting knuckles trying to get it off with the lever on, I just took it off. Seemed easier I guess.

• grayracer513

Posted November 16, 2006 - 09:14 PM

The kick crank comes off the shaft with a single Allen bolt. The upper lever need not be removed from the lower section unless, like ethan, you need to service the pivot. Since the lower has to come off, it just saves time to remove the whole thing as a unit.

• Pukeballs

Posted November 17, 2006 - 11:39 AM

I didnt know.

<--- noob

• grayracer513

Posted November 17, 2006 - 01:57 PM

At this point, I guess I could also point out that there was no need to remove any part of the clutch, or even to remove the clutch cover from the right crankcase cover (other than the bolts that pass through to the crankcase), in order to replace the impeller shaft. But I wouldn't want to rub it in, so perhaps I won't bring that up.

• Pukeballs

Posted November 17, 2006 - 02:35 PM

Yeah I realized that after I got all that crap off. Ive never taken the case apart, and was doing it myself. Well at least I know where that ball bearing goes. And thanks for not rubbing it in (to much).

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.