steering stem bearing won't go on!!!

14 replies to this topic
  • redswr

Posted November 15, 2006 - 03:44 PM

hi ya'll

i'm putting new bearings on my wr and had to pound the bottom bearing off with a chisel and the new ones don't slide onto the stem and i don't want to force it on. the parts place where i got them said they didn't have to be press fit and should just slip on...:cheers: . should i file down the stem to make them fit?

thanks,

darrel

• handlebar

Posted November 15, 2006 - 03:58 PM

hi ya'll

i'm putting new bearings on my wr and had to pound the bottom bearing off with a chisel and the new ones don't slide onto the stem and i don't want to force it on. the parts place where i got them said they didn't have to be press fit and should just slip on...:cheers: . should i file down the stem to make them fit?

thanks,

darrel

No...do not file anything!!!Since you have it apart.Take the bearing and warm it using water on your stove.Put your triple clamp in the freezer.Let them stay in the freezer until the temperature stabilizes on the part(say 30min).Remove from heat and cold quikly and assemble.Everything should go together pretty easy.If not you will need a press but I bet the above procedure will work.

• redswr

Posted November 15, 2006 - 04:02 PM

how should i go about greasing the bearing if its hot??? just rub it on the outside as much as i can?

• handlebar

Posted November 15, 2006 - 04:04 PM

just rub some on the stem or bearing

• awesomodrumboy

Posted November 15, 2006 - 04:28 PM

grease it after u put it on.....if you put enough on the outside and rub it in...it will get in their...trust me

• kx_rider53

Posted November 15, 2006 - 04:33 PM

No...do not file anything!!!Since you have it apart.Take the bearing and warm it using water on your stove.Put your triple clamp in the freezer.Let them stay in the freezer until the temperature stabilizes on the part(say 30min).Remove from heat and cold quikly and assemble.Everything should go together pretty easy.If not you will need a press but I bet the above procedure will work.

Wouldnt you do it the other way around?

• redswr

Posted November 15, 2006 - 05:25 PM

why was this moved back to the WR forum??? a guy on a KTM answered my question and he wouldn't of seen it if it was in the WR forum!

and yeah i need to freeze the stem and heat the bearing like he said... thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • johnnyjeep

Posted November 15, 2006 - 08:37 PM

Maybe because you said WR

• waynus

Posted November 16, 2006 - 12:24 AM

I personally haven't had much luck with the heat and freeze method, they seem to transfer to each other too quickly and by the time the bearing is half on, they are all the same temperature.

My advice is without the use of a press is to make sure that you haven't left any burrs on the shaft when you took the old bearing off. If you have, these can be files smooth. Then get a suitable piece of pipe that just fits over the stem (all the way to the bottom) and hits only the inner part of the bearing and just keep tapping it home. If it's the right size and the same size as the one that came off, it WILL go on. If it's too tight, then something's not right! Recheck the size! Make sure they haven't given you an imperial measurement rather than a metric.

• JSanfilippo

Posted November 16, 2006 - 04:14 PM

why was this moved back to the WR forum??? a guy on a KTM answered my question and he wouldn't of seen it if it was in the WR forum!

and yeah i need to freeze the stem and heat the bearing like he said... thanks.

While it was logical to post this thread up in general, the mod who moved it here probably figured there was enough experience and collective knowledge in the WR forum to help you out. Also, whoever that mod was assumed moving the thread wouldn't get your panties in a bunch :bonk:

Im just messin with ya man, I hope you can take a joke! :cheers:

P.S I didn't move it I can only practice moderation in the TT-R forum. Whoever moved it was either the general forum mod or a global mod. Regardless of who moved it is irrelavent now. :p

• redswr

Posted November 16, 2006 - 04:23 PM

yeah i wasn't too worried about it and i still haven't tried putting it back together lol. maybe it will work tonight!

• Chrome Speedo

Posted November 16, 2006 - 06:44 PM

Wow you have gotten a lot of help on this. Where did you buy your bearing? I bet you could walk into a local shop if you purchased it there and they would slap that bitch right on while you browse the oil section of the showroom. I used a press to do it on a bike a few weeks ago. Personally, I think it's to tight for the heat/cold method but it's worth a shot.

• redswr

Posted November 16, 2006 - 08:12 PM

i just got done with a pvc pipe and a hammer... fits like a glove!

thanks guys,

• gdm

Posted November 16, 2006 - 08:31 PM

Take it to your local dealer and have them press it on.

• pops 56

Posted November 17, 2006 - 03:15 AM

i just got done with a pvc pipe and a hammer... fits like a glove!

thanks guys,

Did mine this week . pvc works good. Been doing it that way for years. Filled bearings with marine grease.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.