650 oil change

4 replies to this topic
  • BT64

Posted November 15, 2006 - 10:01 AM

I dont have a manual, How much oil and what is the spec process for checking oil. pro honda 20-50 ok. Thank you in advance

• eastreich

Posted November 15, 2006 - 12:38 PM

I'm not sure how much oil your L takes (I have an R), but I'm know that it is somewhere around 2 quarts. I have changed them before, and for some reason I have the number 2.1 stuck in my head, but don't quote me. I always put 1.5 in my 650R and then top it off using the dipstick.

The proper procedure to check the oil.
1.) Fully warm the bike up. If you check the level when it is cold, you will overfill the motor and then lots of bad things can happen.
2.) Remove the dipstick and check it! I check the bike while it is level. I'm usually sitting on it since it was running to get it warm; I don't let it sit and idle, that's a waste of riding time.

Pro Honda oil is perfect for your L. I use HP4 20-50 with Moly, but for you, you probabaly want to use the HP4 w/o Moly. If you don't want to spend the bucks, GN4 will work well also, but it tends to "break down" faster than the HP4. I have had people tell me that their bikes shift better with the HP4, but I do not know from personal experience as I always use the HP4. Basically, any motorcycle specific oil is ok; however, car oils can be bad, as they may contain additives and detergents that may mess with your wet clutch. I have used diesel truck oils with success (Rotella T 5-40 synthetic) as these oils are no or low detergent oils like motorcycle oils. I use the Rotella in the winter since it is a little harder to kick the 650R over when it is only 10 degrees outside if it has 20-50 in it. I'm using a synthetic oil from Polaris for my snowmobile (turbocharged four stroke) that is a 0-40. I may also try that in the 650 this winter, but I need to investigate the oil for its detergent additives.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TDC71

Posted November 15, 2006 - 02:35 PM

Got an 06 650l and mine takes 2.4 quarts to the fill line. You can only get a little over 1 three quarters a quart in at fist than u have to fire the beast up for a few minutes to get some in the crank case than top it off after you shut it down for a few minutes. Good luck and good riding:ride:

• TDC71

Posted November 15, 2006 - 02:36 PM

that was supposed to say FULL line and 1 and three quarters.

• BT64

Posted November 15, 2006 - 04:54 PM

Thanks alot, good advice. Honda oil deffently makes bike shift better.

Related Content

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.