04xr650l new ims tank stock petcock?

7 replies to this topic
  • sdpitch

Posted November 14, 2006 - 05:34 PM

will the stock petcock work in the ims 4.0 tank?

• swm007

Posted November 14, 2006 - 06:40 PM

I dont know about the IMS, But I do know that the stock petcock will work on a Clarke brand tank..For a 06 XR 650L

• sdpitch

Posted November 14, 2006 - 06:55 PM

On your petcock is there a nut that threads onto the stock tank? I am having difficulty removing this nut, any advice?

• CTXr650L

Posted November 14, 2006 - 07:06 PM

i have the ims 4.0 gal tank on my 06 xrl650 and the stock petcock fits just fine... as far as getting the nut off just get a good fitting wrench on it and hope for the best, maybe a little penetrating oil if its really screwing with you.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sdpitch

Posted November 14, 2006 - 07:28 PM

i might be missing something because i have the petcock off the stock tank and all i have on the ims tank is a hole and two screw holes were the petcock goes . the nut doesnt seem like it comes off the petcock?

• Jeff@TheQuadShop

Posted November 15, 2006 - 07:39 AM

It sounds like you have the one for the XR600. You can get an XR600 petcock or get the adapter from IMS.

• Rideaide

Posted November 15, 2006 - 03:55 PM

The IMS tank should come with a hardware kit to install the stock petcock into the new IMS tank.:cheers:

• Owyhee

Posted November 15, 2006 - 04:44 PM

I put a IMS 4.something tank on my 600 last week.

I reused the stock tank's petcock on the IMs tank.

The screws holding the petcock to the stock tank were a bugger. I cranked on one hard and the brass mounting thing spun in the plastic. I ended up having to rip it out. (The tank may not be ruined, I may epoxy it or plastic weld it back in...)

The stock petcock did not seal to the IMS tank. At all. Zero. It was a mess. After spilling gas all over me, the bike, and the garage, I used some silicon (RGV?) sealant to improve the sealing surface. It worked and even in 20 degree temps there is no leak.

Granted, you may be more mechanically inclined than I am (I am mostly an idiot) or luckier, and get everything to work well. Good luck.

By the way, I got my tank used (no install kit) for $75 from a nice TTer.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.