Importing parts from U.S to Canada

6 replies to this topic
  • BWP Jockey

Posted November 14, 2006 - 10:40 AM

Can i get a Canuck's opinion. What duties,taxes,levis,tarrif's ect. ect. Look'in to order up some parts i am.Is it worth it,or should i just head to the dealer. thanks.

• simon@vic

Posted November 14, 2006 - 11:27 AM

just MAKE SURE they send it USPS air. NOT UPS or fedex.
you will avoid all of the charges other then tax.

again that is United States Postal Service AIR. NOT united parcel service!

• cleonard

Posted November 14, 2006 - 12:06 PM

I have been on the other end of this. I have sent things to Canada from the US. My advice is call whoever you are planning on doing business and make sure that they are comfortable sending things to Canada. If they are not, select a different vendor. It's not too hard when done correctly, but if the shipper doesn't know what to do it can be a real headache.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • machman

Posted November 14, 2006 - 01:55 PM

just MAKE SURE they send it USPS air. NOT UPS or fedex.
you will avoid all of the charges other then tax.

again that is United States Postal Service AIR. NOT united parcel service!

I'll ditto this, my words exactly, I've done hundreds of transactions to/from the US, including selling a two year old ZX-9R ninja to a guy in Maine.

USPS ONLY
this saves you brokerage (handling at the border). UPS will charge you at least $25 for this.

If your item is under $200 you'll pay no duty, but otherwise there's no way around that. This is only 2% of CDN dollar value though so no big deal.

If the seller indicates that the item is a "gift" or "return" on the customs claim form, you'll pay no GST or PST. Otherwise you'll need to pay that when you pick the item up.

Other than that you're good.

Sometimes it's cheaper to buy from the US, other times it's not. You just need to figure out what everyone charges and buy once you've done that.

For example I just bought a Reverse Osmosis system from the US for $170US + $40 shipping. By the time it's all said and done it'll cost me ~$300 CDN. A comparable model from a CDN distributor is over $1000.

On the other hand I was just looking at TrailTech Vapors. I can get one from TrailTech directly for ~$180 CDN, or I can get one from their CDN distributor for ~$170 CDN and it won't sit at customs for weeks on end.

Shop around and you'll save thousands on your projects.

• BWP Jockey

Posted November 14, 2006 - 03:23 PM

Talked to a fellow at xr's only about a slip on exhaust for 90 xr 600r.A $250. dollar purchase all said & done at my door $434. Not sure if thats cdn. taxes as well . Dosn't really seem worth it to me. The search continues!

• simon@vic

Posted November 14, 2006 - 04:06 PM

If your item is under $200 you'll pay no duty, but otherwise there's no way around that.

there is NO duty on motorcycle parts under NAFTA!!
the shipping bill must say "motorcycle parts".

• machman

Posted November 14, 2006 - 07:51 PM

there is NO duty on motorcycle parts under NAFTA!!
the shipping bill must say "motorcycle parts".

Thanks for the heads up bro

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.