Acewell Speedo/Tach issue...

13 replies to this topic
  • michhub

Posted November 14, 2006 - 07:35 AM

Long story short, I installed this on my XR650L and find that the tach flucuates alot...I'm talking 1000-1200 rpms. I wrapped the sensor wire around the spark plug wire 5-6 times close to the plug.
Is there a better place to get a signal or what?:cheers:
Should I make sure the wraps are tight and close together...any tips or
tricks on this, as its the main reason I bought.

Thanks - MikeH

• pgiinc

Posted November 14, 2006 - 09:03 AM

I installed one on 450x and wraped it around next to were it comes out of the coil, dont know if it makes a diff
mine does seem jumpy buy a 200 to 300 rpm

• pgiinc

Posted November 14, 2006 - 11:18 AM

also set the rpm spec to 0.5
and I think the front wheel is 676 not 1676

• vaughn

Posted November 14, 2006 - 01:27 PM

also set the rpm spec to 0.5
and I think the front wheel is 676 not 1676

My calibration id set to 700 and seems spot on with a DS 21" tire mounted. Also wrap the RPM wire close to the coil then route the remainder away from any other spark influences. This gives me a steady RPM. I think the RPM spec is 1.0 for a single cylinder.

• michhub

Posted November 14, 2006 - 02:58 PM

My calibration id set to 700 and seems spot on with a DS 21" tire mounted. Also wrap the RPM wire close to the coil then route the remainder away from any other spark influences. This gives me a steady RPM. I think the RPM spec is 1.0 for a single cylinder.

Hmmm, I'm running an Pirelli MT-21 and I used the same method to measure circumference as my mtn bike odometer...mark a spot and roll the wheel one complete revolution. I came up with 2170mm...well obviously thats way too much as it reads 60mph at a crawl. The instructions say tire diameter(21in) x 25.4(mm/inch)=533.4. I used that number and it seems pretty accurate. Of course they want you to multiply that number by 3.1416=1676...way off!

I wrapped the sense wire as close to the coil as possible with 5 turns, made them tight and used electrical tape to secure...still pretty jumpy at 1.0..maybe I'll just have to live with it, seems more stable when moving...

I dunno, it looks cool and all but the tach was what I really wanted and its just ok at this point...not to mention the speedo issues, which are probably just a matter of the correct number....

• michhub

Posted November 15, 2006 - 04:29 PM

I'm currently in contact with Acewell...there seems to be an issue between Hall Effect sensor and Reed type....stay tuned...

>Hello Mike,

>Thank you for purchasing the ACE-3901. Can you check if your model has an
>underline? A model with underline can use both reed sensor and hall sensor
>and can only use reed sensor if it is without underline. The XR sensor is
>a hall sensor.

>Best regards,
>George M.S. LEE
>ACEWELL INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD.

• snaggleXR650

Posted November 16, 2006 - 04:51 AM

I used the stock speedo drive. Not the magnet driven sensor or whatever. On my XR650R, I tapped in to the (+) wire from the CDI to the coil under the gas tank where there is rubber coated bullet connectors. RPM works great. I do believe the RPM setting is .5 not 1 or 2.

Using the stock speedo drive, I think the gear ratio is 2:1, or thereabouts. I don't recall my final setting, I got it close and then got the final number for wheel size while riding next to a buddy for calibration.

The stock speedo drive cable supplied by Service Honda did not fit into the speedo drive plastic housing all the way to secure it with the screw. The cable is built wrong, the groove in the metal drive piece isn't deep enough. It meshes, and it works fine, but you need to find your own way to secure the cable. By the way, Service Honda called me a few days ago asking about this and said they are 'looking into it.'

I've had my speedo since early summer, and it's never skipped a beat. Short of the misfitting speedo cable, it's been perfect.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • vaughn

Posted November 16, 2006 - 06:46 AM

I do believe the RPM setting is .5 not 1 or 2.

I think your right about the setting of .5 as the spark is only on every other full rotation. It's just that .5 is not an intuitive factor (multiplier) as 2 x "Number of Spark Pulses" would be actual RPM. Who knows what their logic is, especially when is comes to the speed calibration number. I do know that a setting of 700 gets me within 1mph when passing those police radar speed displays along the road.

• michhub

Posted November 16, 2006 - 07:33 PM

Well sort of, Service Honda sent me an email and said simply to use 664 as the correct value for a 21" front wheel....how they arrive at that number is a bit of a mystery but they claim the manufacturer was using a different ratio speedo drive when writing the instructions. They have posted the same info. as a 'Note' on thier web page....

http://www.serviceho...com/speedo.html

MikeH

• vaughn

Posted November 19, 2006 - 06:54 AM

Hate to beat this one to death. I checked my RPM calibration factor and it is set to 1.0 which gives me a somewhat accurate RPM (I think). The Acewell manual says the setting should represent the number of engine rotations per signal sent to the computer. This would mean the proper setting would be 2.0 for a single cylinder 4-stroke with the signal coming from the plug wire.

I tried 2.0 and could rev the engine over 11,000rpm indicated. Obviously wrong. So I tried 0.5 and my idle reading was 600-700rpm and max rpm around 4000+. This is not correct either. Thus 1.0 would show idle at 1400-1600 and max RPM at 8000+. Seems right to me.

• pgiinc

Posted November 19, 2006 - 08:23 AM

I agree I have tried them all and 1.0 only makes sense since my 450X idles at 1700 just like the book says,at 0.5 it idles at 800 rpm thats wrong by 1000 rpm, and 2.0 is way to high
so 1.0 it is

• pgiinc

Posted November 19, 2006 - 08:25 AM

you guys like the way Acewell built my speedo with both signal turning left?
http://www.thumperta...achmentid=29538

• michhub

Posted November 19, 2006 - 06:14 PM

I tried 2.0 and could rev the engine over 11,000rpm indicated. Obviously wrong. So I tried 0.5 and my idle reading was 600-700rpm and max rpm around 4000+. This is not correct either. Thus 1.0 would show idle at 1400-1600 and max RPM at 8000+. Seems right to me.

After todays ride I would have to agree with you...at 60MPH my tach read 2200(when set to .5)...sure ddn't feel right...then the speedo just stopped Well, looks like the sensor at the speedo drive hub self destructed:mad:
This has been such an ordeal:crazy: I hope to get a new cable from Service Honda and put this one behind me.....

MikeH

• Diesel13

Posted May 08, 2008 - 04:56 AM

I installed one on 450x and wraped it around next to were it comes out of the coil, dont know if it makes a diff
mine does seem jumpy buy a 200 to 300 rpm

Hey Pgiinc, where did you splice the red wire for power on your 450x? I've got the brown on the start switch hot batt. Thanks. Diesel13

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.