Timing chain sprockets

4 replies to this topic
  • Fred Bednar

Posted November 13, 2006 - 08:17 PM

When replacing my timing chain I noticed some minor wear on the timing chain sprockets, upper and lower. Should these sprockets be replaced when you replace the timing chain?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

• frankstr

Posted November 13, 2006 - 08:20 PM

I would replace chain and sprockets as a set....:cheers:
What bike are you working on...?
:p :bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fred Bednar

Posted November 13, 2006 - 08:23 PM

Sorry, XR600

• cleonard

Posted November 13, 2006 - 08:53 PM

I think that standard practice it always to replace any chain and sprockets as a set. However, I didn't when I replaced my timing chain. I started to get timing chain slapping noises. When not running everyhting seemed fine. I decided to replace the tansioner and the chain. My sprockets looked OK so I did not replace them. However, I have never seen a new cam chain sprocket to compare them to. When I compared the old chain to the new one, the lengths were almost identical. It was my tensioner that failed. The center shaft on the tensioner had some very minor wear marks, but I guess that it was enough to cause it to fail.

• creeky

Posted November 14, 2006 - 03:54 PM

I use the old sprockets for the first new cam chain replacement. If I wear that one out, I replace the whole set, haven't had any problems with this practice.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.