intake & exhaust

4 replies to this topic
  • BWP Jockey

Posted November 13, 2006 - 07:23 PM

Anyone out there running a K&N filter? How do they stand up to the odd splash of mud & water that enters the air box compared to stock? I'm looking to run one with xr's only slip on muffler unit.Any thoughts on this combo? The bike is a 90 xr600r ,stock motor.I now run a stock exhaust , baffle removed. hoping this pipe will provide more power than present set up & save me an lb. or two in weight. thanks to anyone who can help.

• cleonard

Posted November 13, 2006 - 07:37 PM

Anyone out there running a K&N filter? How do they stand up to the odd splash of mud & water that enters the air box compared to stock? I'm looking to run one with xr's only slip on muffler unit.Any thoughts on this combo? The bike is a 90 xr600r ,stock motor.I now run a stock exhaust , baffle removed. hoping this pipe will provide more power than present set up & save me an lb. or two in weight. thanks to anyone who can help.

First welcome to Thumpertalk. You should be able to find lots of answers here.

I think that the K&N filters are good for the road, but not so good in the dirt. They do flow more air at the cost of letting a little of the fine dust through. For the dirt a good quality aftermarket oil foam filter is best.

Since you are at low altitude, you will need to bump up the jetting some for best preformance. The changes that you are making will need richer jetting. You will get a little more power with this setup.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • frankstr

Posted November 13, 2006 - 07:48 PM

BWP Jockey, Welcome to TT......:cheers:
Myself, I like Uni filters.....

:p :bonk:

• simon@vic

Posted November 13, 2006 - 11:55 PM

k&N is no good for dirtbikes! you want a foam filter!

• eastreich

Posted November 14, 2006 - 06:43 AM

I wouldn't say that the K&N is no good for dirt bikes, I have had excellent results with them in other bikes, but I did not like mine in my 650R. Due to the large outer rubber edge of the K&N, I felt that it did not seal as well as a foam air filter did. It also did not like the number plate over it; I had to do a little trimming to get the darn thing to close up and let the Dzus screws fasten.

The K&Ns due tend to let more fine dust particles (i.e. silt) through the filter. There is a reason that putting a K&N in your car or truck will void the manufacturer's warranty! I run one in my old pickup, but I also pull out the MAF sensor every 50,000 miles and clean it as well, or the truck isn't happy.

In my bike, I run the OEM Honda or No-Toil Filters with a modified back plate (no screen, just an open grid to support the filter). They seal great, let in all the air I need, and are very easy to clean and oil. Plus with the foam filter, you can fold 'em up small enough to carry a spare with you if think you need to!

I have run the UNI's as well. They are also a great filter, and I love the 'neoprene' edge and the included aluminum back plate. I just have a great sponsorship from my Honda dealer and it is much cheaper for me to go with the OEM/No-Toil Filters (No-Toil makes the OEM Honda filter as well as the Pro-Honda Filter Oil).

I tried the Twin Air, and although I never saw any problems with that filter, it is thinner than the UNI or OEM filter and that turned me off a little. I know that the foam construction means everything, but I like a thicker filter. I just feel safer.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.