under 95dba?

10 replies to this topic
  • pudadin

Posted November 13, 2006 - 06:46 PM

Hi Gang,

Getting a bit frustrated.....everything I read says that a 2005 WR 450 with only the "snorkel" removed is below 96dba!? My local forest service not true....thier tests are more stringent. Hence I can not ride USFS in California. Can anyone help me here? Is there no standard test?

• Ramcc4x4

Posted November 13, 2006 - 07:26 PM

There is a "standard" or approved testing method used by state park rangers. My 2006 WR450 has a PMB exhaust tip, snorkle removed from the airbox and holes cut in the right side of the airbox. I tested just around 95 decibels, well within the legal limit.

• pudadin

Posted November 13, 2006 - 10:51 PM

so your PMB insert is louder and less restrictive than stock BUT will pass a USFS test?

How is the preformace..(mainly throttle response) vs. no insert at all as I currently run. I would go out and spend the coin on a Q2 before going back to the stock insert!

• Cirus

Posted November 14, 2006 - 04:56 AM

I would go out and spend the coin on a Q2 before going back to the stock insert!

I've got an '06 that I brought home last Saturday. I fired it up right off the trailer and took it for a ride. What a dog, which I knew it would be from what I've read on here. I did all the free mods, ais removed, pbm insert, airbox, throttle stop and it was a world of difference. Well, I had my '04 YZ sitting there with the FMF Factory 4 and powerbomb so I thought I would put it on the WR. My god!:cheers: The WR was a freaking monster with the Factory 4 on there. The only problem is my buddies and I are thinking of doing a little riding on forest land and the F4 is way to loud so I put the stock exhaust back on after riding with the other for several days. What a let down. I ordered the Q2 yesterday and if it corks it up to much I'll just put the F4 back on. After having the F4 on theres no way I can ride that bike with the stock exhaust. I just wont ride on forest land if I have to ride a bike that corked up.

• pudadin

Posted November 14, 2006 - 09:27 AM

great stuff! Any word on specs of the new Q4?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pudadin

Posted November 14, 2006 - 09:30 AM

let me know how the Q2 works for you!

• Cirus

Posted November 14, 2006 - 10:35 AM

Got my latest issue of Dirtbike mag yesterday and it had an ad in it for the Q4. It sounded about the same as the Q2 according to the ad just a little different look. Hopefully I'll have the Q2 by the end of the week and I'll let you know the difference between it and stock, and the F4.

• JSanfilippo

Posted November 14, 2006 - 11:53 AM

From the sound of the Q4 is a major leap foward in quiet pipe technology. It sounds like FMF was able to get the noise level of a Q2 in the size and shape of a Ti powercore!! It'll flow better than a Q2

• MN_Paul

Posted November 14, 2006 - 05:22 PM

Hi Gang,

Getting a bit frustrated.....everything I read says that a 2005 WR 450 with only the "snorkel" removed is below 96dba!? My local forest service not true....thier tests are more stringent. Hence I can not ride USFS in California. Can anyone help me here? Is there no standard test?

There might be a misunderstanding in terminology. The snorkel is part of the intake. With the exhaust tip/insert removed, you will be in the neighborhood of 98 dba. With the PMB exhaust tip/insert, you should be under the 96dba limit. Remember, 3db is double the amount of sound.

Paul

• AnimalDan

Posted November 16, 2006 - 05:28 PM

My 2005 stock WR450 with the exhaust insert replaced by a PMB insert tested 93 dB by the ranger.

• samps

Posted November 17, 2006 - 05:24 AM

There might be a misunderstanding in terminology. The snorkel is part of the intake. With the exhaust tip/insert removed, you will be in the neighborhood of 98 dba. With the PMB exhaust tip/insert, you should be under the 96dba limit. Remember, 3db is double the amount of sound.

Paul

A 3 dB increase in the level of continuous noise doubles the sound power, however experimentation has determined that the response of the human ear results in a perceived doubling of loudness for approximately every 10 dB increase

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.