Opinions? Is a XR 600 to much for me?

19 replies to this topic
  • n8sjh

Posted November 13, 2006 - 06:12 PM

Hi guys I have been lurking for a week or so searching around the site for info and decided to register and this is my first post.

I am looking at getting a older around 93 or newer XR 600 or maybe smaller and wanted to know your opinions on if it would be to much for me to handle? I am only 5'6 and weigh 190. I live in Michigan and alot of the motorcycle trails have sections that you need to have a street legal licenced cycle. So street legal is important but I am not going to be joy riding around town. The trails vary from narrow to wide open. From sand to mud. Now my experience is not alot of motorcyle riding. I have been riding quads for 8 or more years and have ridden sport quads. I have taken a few spins around on 125s and a 250 2 stroke dirt bike but never a 4 stroke. What are your opinions on this? Should I get a smaller one or just get a 600?
This all came up as I had looked at a 93 XR600 that I guy is selling for $900. Has a clear title and ready to go. It looks to be in good shape for the year and from what I have read from this site if taken care of they are dependable. Thanks

• BRPXL600R

Posted November 13, 2006 - 06:20 PM

Welcome to TT and snag that bike!

• frankstr

Posted November 13, 2006 - 06:23 PM

Welcome to Thumpertalk, n8sjh....
Have you took the 600 for a ride yet...I'd do that before deciding..:p
And you don't have to ride balls out the first ride..wait untill the
second ride...:cheers:

:bonk: :crazy:

• Mojave Monster

Posted November 13, 2006 - 06:27 PM

Dependable... YES, without a doubt. 13 years old dependable??? $900 for a bike that runs may be a good deal but it is 13 years old. Anyway, I lived in Michigan back in the 70's and 80's and think someone of your size (age and experience??) should do just fine with a 600. I weigh less than you do, by about 25 pounds, and my regular ride is an XR650R. Good luck, oh yea, there used to be good trails up by Mio...

• dangerranger21

Posted November 13, 2006 - 07:27 PM

They are great bikes! plenty of power and last along time!... very dependable

• LeadDoggy

Posted November 14, 2006 - 06:54 AM

Go for it!!!! I was a three and four wheel rider for many years. Never had a dirt bike as a kid. Purchased an XR250L, had for a few months. Purchased an XR500, didn't even burn a tank of gas. Bought an XR600R, dual sported it and already on my 5th tear tire. Have had for about five years now and believe that it was the best purchase of them all. Start out slow, work your way up as you get saddle time.... :cheers:

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted November 14, 2006 - 08:06 AM

I am 5'7" and weigh the same as you do and have 2 XR600Rs. One is a supermoto, and plated, the other a desert bike. I ride the very well and easily. But, when you fall off in the dirt or mud remember you have to rest it on the kick stand to re-start it and that can be a bitch even after you well learn the XR600R starting drill which I will be happy to write down for you. Id buy it but go dirt riding in areas where you can at least push it somewhere to use a tree or the kick stand or a fence post to rest it against to re-start it. Just the plain horrible thruth about being short and owning a XR600R. The best thing about it is itll go about 90mph with you on it...mine goes 108.

• Border Patrol

Posted November 14, 2006 - 08:31 AM

13 years old dependable??? $900 for a bike that runs may be a good deal but it is 13 years old.

My 87 600 is almost 20 years old and is still dead-reliable. Sure its dated, sure its heavy. But as long as I can get some good rides out of her I'm ahead of the game. Dirtbikes are an expense, not an investment.

I say jump on it if that's what you want.

• jwriott

Posted November 14, 2006 - 01:16 PM

I'm 5'7", 170 lbs. and have a XR650R. I can start it without the kickstand down.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted November 14, 2006 - 01:38 PM

I'm 5'7", 170 lbs. and have a XR650R. I can start it without the kickstand down.

XR-600R is taller isn't it? 38in seat height.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dangerranger21

Posted November 14, 2006 - 04:46 PM

My 87 600 is almost 20 years old and is still dead-reliable. Sure its dated, sure its heavy. But as long as I can get some good rides out of her I'm ahead of the game. Dirtbikes are an expense, not an investment.

I say jump on it if that's what you want.

AMEN! that should say it all right there!

• n8sjh

Posted November 14, 2006 - 05:13 PM

Well general concensus says to get it so I will have to look at it alot closer now to make sure all is good with it. I will test ride it and make sure its in good shape. Thanks guys hopefully all goes well and I will have a bike to ride next season. :cheers:

• dangerranger21

Posted November 14, 2006 - 09:15 PM

Well general concensus says to get it so I will have to look at it alot closer now to make sure all is good with it. I will test ride it and make sure its in good shape. Thanks guys hopefully all goes well and I will have a bike to ride next season. :cheers:

Awesome!... Let us know if you do and you better have pictures of it to post up here to show it off!

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted November 15, 2006 - 08:20 AM

I wish you were here, at least the bike! Id buy it if you didn't that would give me an un-even three XR600Rs!

• jwriott

Posted November 15, 2006 - 12:38 PM

XR-600R is taller isn't it? 38in seat height.

I don't think so. I've ridden them both and it doesn't seem taller.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted November 15, 2006 - 02:28 PM

I don't think so. I've ridden them both and it doesn't seem taller.

my XR600R is 38 at the lowest part of the seat when Im not sitting on it.

• creeky

Posted November 15, 2006 - 04:53 PM

For $900, I'd buy it and try it, I'm sure you could get your money back in a heartbeat if it doesn't suit you. As far as being able to handle it, I'm 69 and still ride a 600, I'm quite sure you won't have any problem.

• Chopp

Posted November 15, 2006 - 06:19 PM

Buy it.

My first bike was an '86(?) KLR 600, and I only weighed about 125lbs back then.

• jwriott

Posted November 16, 2006 - 01:45 PM

my XR600R is 38 at the lowest part of the seat when Im not sitting on it.

http://www.off-road....onda/XR600.html

http://dirtbike.off-...l.jsp?id=266148

You're right it is a little taller. 36.8" versus 37.6".

• jwm6

Posted November 16, 2006 - 03:21 PM

Sounds like a good buy, go for it!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.