Tire Change Help needed........

29 replies to this topic
  • MountainMax

Posted November 15, 2006 - 03:36 AM

Mine is all done now, however one of the beed locks was a bit stiff tigntning it up, I wonder did i pinch the tube? it holds air fine, how can I tell? I did put air in the tube first, enough to crease it like the video showed.

• TD-3

Posted November 15, 2006 - 05:52 AM

I also like the long bent irons and use a woodworking C clamp to keep things in place. The clamp also breaks the old bead down very easy.

Great idea on the c-clamp!:cheers:

I'm pretty good at changing tires. but sometimes breaking the bead can be a pain. I'll have to try this next time.

• MountainMax

Posted November 15, 2006 - 02:50 PM

yeah, great idea, but what about that bead buddy lock thing he had, where can I buy one of those to?

• byggd

Posted November 15, 2006 - 04:47 PM

See if this helps
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=390735

• johnnyjeep

Posted November 15, 2006 - 08:49 PM

Personally, I prefer to do like I was on the trail, low and few tools. That way I learn how to fix my stuff before i need to fix my stuff.
John in Vegas

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted November 16, 2006 - 06:29 AM

Personally, I prefer to do like I was on the trail, low and few tools. That way I learn how to fix my stuff before i need to fix my stuff.
John in Vegas

This is my approach also. I change my tires myself, on the ground in my back yard, just as if I am on a trail. I even lean my bike against a tree to get the tire off. We all need the practice.

Nowadays, I barely use the third iron. I definitely don't need it to remove the tire and only used it only once to put a new tire on. I could get by without it if I had to. Just keep the tire in the center of the rim and it will be easier. In my case, I keep my knee on the edge of the tire while its on the ground. It takes some just a little muscle to make it happen.

Like other TT'rs told me, its about practice and technique.

• 426TEXASTHUMPER

Posted November 16, 2006 - 11:29 AM

$10.00 labor.... $6.99 for tube..... not having to mess with it PRICELESS.....

• johnnyjeep

Posted November 16, 2006 - 08:35 PM

$10.00 labor.... $6.99 for tube..... not having to mess with it PRICELESS.....

but will you be able to fix your flat on the trail? That is all I was saying.

• Mikekx1234

Posted November 18, 2006 - 02:52 AM

Thanks for making the thread, we put a new back tire on today and we didn't have a clue before i found this thread.

The only trouble we had was with the rim lock.

When does the front tire need replacing? When the knobs are rounded?

:cheers:

• MountainMax

Posted November 18, 2006 - 12:09 PM

I too noticed my front tire lugs are starting to round off on one side, And was thinking on replacing it also, good time now, winter.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.