Tire Change Help needed........

29 replies to this topic
  • MountainMax

Posted November 13, 2006 - 05:27 PM

Hey people, I wore out my stock rear tire this summer (didn't take long) and i am having lots of trouble. First of all I bought a set of tire irons for the job. But I am having trouble getting the tire off and on, can you pro's give me some pointers. Do you remove one side, then the beed locks, then tube, then other side? and what order do you put them on with. Do you use any kinds of tire slip, and how do you keep from pinching holes in the tube (yes I just done that too) and how do you not mark up the aluminum wheels, Im not use to them, my old bikes had steel wheels, less chances of marking them. Finally, if im doing this alot, I would buy a tire changer, can anyone recomend one? preferably here in canada? Thanks in advance.........

Posted Image

Posted Image

• new2blu

Posted November 13, 2006 - 06:16 PM

Can you get Dirt Rider magazine up there? If so they have a 7 pagearticle on how to change a tire in the December 2006 issue.
Order a magazine (back issue) here http://www.dirtrider.com/features/

To answer your question---remove one side first--then remove the tube--then remove the other side ;no need to remove the bead locks. Lube the tire with a mixture of dishwashing liquid (Dawn,Palmolive,etc.) and water in a spray bottle. Spray as much as needed to help the tire slip. By the way the front tire is MUCH easier to learn on. Oh and if you can have the tire in a warm environment that helps also. I once changed a tire in cool weather at night and used the campfire to warm the tire!

• gdm

Posted November 13, 2006 - 06:37 PM

Check this out. Go to the "How To section", left column, and then to the "How To" archives. Go down to 18 July 2006 for the Doug Schopinsky video on how to change a tire. This is all you need to know. http://transworldmot...to/article.html

• old man dan

Posted November 13, 2006 - 10:03 PM

The dirt rider article is excellent, I started changing tires that way quite a while ago and it really works well. The keys are good tire irons, preferably three of them, lots of lube and follow the procedure. Take one bead off one side of the wheel and the other bead off the other side then just pull the wheel out from the middle of the tire with the tube inside. To reassemble just put the tube, very slightly inflated, back into the tire and remount. Luckily our WR's have 18 in rears because 19's a quite a bit tougher to change.

• J_DOGG

Posted November 14, 2006 - 05:19 AM

I worked a deal with my shop, I would think others do this as well..
I buy the tire from them and bring in my back rim w old tire still on and they do the change over for me at no added cost.
They are making something on the tire already I assume.

I tried doing it on my own with all the tricks mentioned and still pinched tubes left and right, my time is better spent doing other things. Like looking at new gear while they change my tire for me.

I get a new back tire every season also, I don't see how anyone could get away not doing so.

• drtbk4ever

Posted November 14, 2006 - 10:23 AM

Check this out. Go to the "How To section", left column, and then to the "How To" archives. Go down to 18 July 2006 for the Doug Schopinsky video on how to change a tire. This is all you need to know. http://transworldmot...to/article.html

That video and the DR article are both valuable resources.

Let us know how it goes.

• Legend_XL

Posted November 14, 2006 - 12:32 PM

http://www.transworl...1215721,00.html

Watch the video from that link. It is a three video series. I just switched my tires out, I got to tell you the first time doing it is going to be frustrating. Do your self a favor and make sure you break the bead on both sides....it makes life alot easier. Let us know how it goes!

• MSHAM

Posted November 14, 2006 - 02:13 PM

This is a good tutorial. It helped me alot!
http://www.advrider....o's tire change

• MountainMax

Posted November 14, 2006 - 02:22 PM

Thanks so much guys, you are a wealth of information, and links. :cheers: that video is SICK , where was he last night when I was strugling, man he made it look so easy, I definately need a third tire iron to keep from scratching/pitting up my wheel forsure. i wish he done a wheel with two beed locks though instead of one, as it's hard to go opposite one when there is another one there. You know i thought about taking the tire off each side but then said, Nah, it coulnd't work, didn't think the wheel would come out then. awesome guys...... Im gonna put gas in all of your posts here, to help fill your Cyber reputation guage...........

• WR_Dave

Posted November 14, 2006 - 03:24 PM

Use window cleaning fluid in the squirt bottle to lube the rubber , it is very slippery and it dries up with no residue. Just get some practise and some better tire irons, the MSR red handle spoons work the best in my opinion. You will get it down to 15-20 mins for a rear in no time. WR Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Just_a_trail_rider

Posted November 14, 2006 - 06:02 PM

Changing tires... I remember my first attempt at it. I was a frustrating, knucklebusting, profanity laced experience that I will never forget. The third tire iron and the windex in a spray bottle will change all of that.

Just last week, I put a dunlop 952 on the rear, which has a pretty stiff carcass, expecially when new. I didn't put it out in the sun or soften it up or anything. I used the 3rd tire iron to put that SOB on the rim. It took 30-40 minutes to remove the wheel, replace the tire and then remount it and I barely broke a sweat.

I use the basic 9 inch tire irons, nothing special. Lots of windex on the tire and especially the tube when you stuff it back in the tire.

I probably have more trouble lining up the valve stem than anything else. But it only takes a few minutes to get it right.

Good luck.

• MountainMax

Posted November 14, 2006 - 07:19 PM

yeah, awesome, I just ordered my third 11' tire iron, hope it will be easier next time.........

• Ibis

Posted November 14, 2006 - 07:47 PM

i wish he done a wheel with two beed locks though instead of one, as it's hard to go opposite one when there is another one there.

Get rid of that second rim lock. You don't need it!

• arock

Posted November 14, 2006 - 08:21 PM

This wont help your first time but it gets easier the more you do it.:cheers:

• Kevin3769

Posted November 14, 2006 - 08:34 PM

Just got done changing a tire and tube and pinched the tube, so I get to do it again!:eek: :p :bonk: :cheers: :p :bonk: :crazy: :worthy: Im so mad.

• johnnyjeep

Posted November 14, 2006 - 09:49 PM

for trail fixes, I cary the window cleaner in a can, the foamy stuff. Will that work as a lube?

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted November 14, 2006 - 10:42 PM

Just got done changing a tire and tube and pinched the tube, so I get to do it again!:eek: :p :bonk: :cheers: :p :bonk: :crazy: :worthy: Im so mad.

More lube and lots of it... Also be carefull of the rim locks. Make sure that the tube sits on top of the rim lock.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted November 14, 2006 - 10:48 PM

REgarding rim locks... who says that you don't need two? I would think that the rear tire would take considerably more abuse than the front. Thats why you need the second rim lock.

Changing a tire with two rim locks is no big deal. Just start at the point between the two locks and away from the valve stem.

• baha

Posted November 14, 2006 - 11:50 PM

Hell I even been timing myself and getting faster after these vids:worthy:

• baha

Posted November 14, 2006 - 11:55 PM

Changing tires... I remember my first attempt at it. I was a frustrating, knucklebusting, profanity laced experience that I will never forget. The third tire iron and the windex in a spray bottle will change all of that.

Just last week, I put a dunlop 952 on the rear, which has a pretty stiff carcass, expecially when new. I didn't put it out in the sun or soften it up or anything. I used the 3rd tire iron to put that SOB on the rim. It took 30-40 minutes to remove the wheel, replace the tire and then remount it and I barely broke a sweat.

I use the basic 9 inch tire irons, nothing special. Lots of windex on the tire and especially the tube when you stuff it back in the tire.

I probably have more trouble lining up the valve stem than anything else. But it only takes a few minutes to get it right.

Good luck.

Same thing but I put baby powder on the tube, alot of it! I also like the long bent irons and use a woodworking C clamp to keep things in place. The clamp also breaks the old bead down very easy. I got the C clamp 6 inch at Harbor Freight for 5 bucks.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.