new 650L questions

1 reply to this topic
  • DBM

Posted November 13, 2006 - 04:42 PM

I brought home a new 07 650L piggie today, and de-smog plans are in the workx. Thankx to this forum, and the great guys at XR's Only, I will be dialed in very quickly. I have a few other questions.
1. How do you disable the clutch and kick stand switches?
2. Does anyone make small off-road turn signals that plug into the stock harness without splicing?
3. I want to mount aluminum hand guards on the bars, does anyone make shorty levers that work with the stock perches?
4. Who makes the stiffest suspension springs available?
5. Are there any smaller/lighter battery options?
6. Can I go bigger on the rear sprocket with the stock chain? How many more teeth do I have room for?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lhark

Posted November 13, 2006 - 05:10 PM

1.Kick stand switch is easy, but the two wires have to be cut, and spliced together to make it work. Clutch switch has a diode under the tank that has to be removed and wired around. You should get a good wiring diagram, before you start.
2. All the ones I've seen, the wires are too short to plug right in, in the rear, but usually there's enough in the front.
3. I use Acerbis hand guards....I just shorten up the levers. You don't need the nice ball on the end of the lever, with handguards.
4. Don't know. Check with Race Tech?
5. I've used an Interstate YTX5L-BS, their part number M332X-5B, with great success. I needs some fab work (different hold down strap, and longer positive post lead (the terminals are reversed), but it saves a couple of pounds.
6. I have used a 48T, with no problems. Stock length chain, and c/s sprocket. It is close to being as far forward as it can, though. Maybe 49, or 50 would still work....
This is based on an '02 XR650L, that I've had for four years.

Related Content

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  41 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.