RK chain tool

5 replies to this topic
  • turbowhine

Posted November 13, 2006 - 12:20 PM

A local government postal representative just dropped off an RK chain tool on my doorstep this morning. It seems like a good solid tool. Now I'm gonna go do my first chain swap in the driveway.

I figured with three bikes and one chain per bike every two years at $20-30 shop fees per chain, this little thing'll pay itself off in a few years.

Tool cost: $90 shipped
New chain: $85
DIY with a six-pack in the garage: Priceless

• lhark

Posted November 13, 2006 - 02:55 PM

I'm with you, on that. I've had one of these for 5 years now, and it works super. I still like to grind the heads off the links I'm pressing out, to keep wear and tear to a minimum. Before that, It seemed like the tool had to really work, to push them out. Maybe I just like the sparks.......

• XR4DEZ

Posted November 13, 2006 - 05:59 PM

Yep, it's a good tool.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BRPXL600R

Posted November 13, 2006 - 06:09 PM

Wow $90:eek: I only paid $16.95 for mine and yes I also grind down the pins to ease the stress on my breaker and it has been working fine for some 20+yrs!:cheers:

• cleonard

Posted November 13, 2006 - 06:43 PM

I'm not familiar with the rivet style chains. I've had non-ring chains where the master link plate just slips on. I've had ring style chains where the plate took quite an amount of pressing. I've always been able to do it using a vice-grip plier and a small nut for relief on the pin. I have had the spring clip pop off and it stayed together. It stayed together for a long time since I found it when replacing the chain.

Are the rivet style chains another step up in difficulty in installation? Like forget the vice grip method and get the proper tool? Does the installer actually mushroom the head of the pin when it installs the plate or does it just press the plate on. I like the idea of a very secure master link.

• Thorpey

Posted November 18, 2006 - 09:59 PM

Check out the chain tool here. I bought one thinking it would probably be junk. It's just like my friend's RK ........ only for $15.00

Related Content

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  37 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.