50T down to a 48T?

21 replies to this topic
  • J_DOGG

Posted November 13, 2006 - 09:44 AM

I have been using the stock 50T rear since I got the bike new. love it in the woods and is great at pulling wheelies all the way up to 3rd and 4th no problem with just a slap of gas.

I just ordered a 48T by mistake, actually since I listened to the parts guy telling me that was the stock size....

Will I notice that much of a difference in pulling the front end up?

I'll take the gain in top end but would do with out in order to keep it a wheelie machine. I really would only use the extra speed on the street as I pin flat out now. But IMO that is what my street bike is for....

So how big of a difference am I going to feel???

• simon@vic

Posted November 13, 2006 - 09:27 PM

if you ride single track you will want a 50 or even 52 rear!

you should be able to wheelie what ever the gearing is!

• SID013

Posted November 14, 2006 - 12:31 AM

if you ride single track you will want a 50 or even 52 rear!

you should be able to wheelie what ever the gearing is!

Hiya, follow this link & put your details in the gearing calculator which will tell you the difference in top speed by changing sprockets front & rear.

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/

Hope it helps.

Cheers :cheers:

• J_DOGG

Posted November 14, 2006 - 05:08 AM

Yup, I've checked the gearing calc, thanks.
I really could care less about my top end, I'd go to a 44 or smaller if that was the case.

Sounds like I might not be happy with the 48.
I'll rock it for a little while to see for sure, since it's already on the way.
I' don't do too much single track but the bike feels perfect now with the 50.

how-bout this question.

Will 1st and 2nd gear feel taller?

• byggd

Posted November 14, 2006 - 05:10 AM

You can always just put a 13 in the front :cheers:

• simon@vic

Posted November 14, 2006 - 04:12 PM

yes, 2 teeth down on the rear will make 1 seem allot taller.
2nd doesn't matter so much because your already moving buy the time you up shift.

• MountainMax

Posted November 14, 2006 - 04:48 PM

I too was wondering the same thing as I ordered one for my bike (on purpose) to get the RPM's down a little when curising the dirt roads at high speed. However I hope this along with a 120/100 tire won't make harder to wheelie up to 4'th gear as it does now quite easily. Let us all know how it works out for you as it's snowy season up here...........

• J_DOGG

Posted November 15, 2006 - 04:51 AM

will do, I plan on using it on the ice so I can get a fairly good idea how it will pan out.

The sled guys clocked me doing 75 last year with the 50T rear and spikes.
I had the thing peged WTFO....

• Oasis_Flame

Posted November 16, 2006 - 12:45 PM

A 48 tooth is what I run in the desert, keeps the front down, gets me 110 miles on a tank of gas and I do mid 80's mph on a WR426. I put my old 50 tooth on a WR250f and canned his 52 tooth.

• MountainMax

Posted November 16, 2006 - 01:31 PM

Hey Oasis, do you mean she's harder to wheelie by just going down 2 teeth on the back? I still want to be able to wheelie. how much difference does it make?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Oasis_Flame

Posted November 17, 2006 - 07:55 AM

Fourth gear wheelies are gone but yes, you can still bring it up in first and second with no problems.

• MountainMax

Posted November 17, 2006 - 08:30 AM

no 4th gear wheelies, do you have any mods done to your bike, i can't beleive 2 teeth can make this much difference............

• Oasis_Flame

Posted November 18, 2006 - 08:52 AM

Trust me I'm making alot of power. I prefer that gearing only for desert riding only, I'd use a 52 rear for the track because it would let me use second or third to start the race with.

• MountainMax

Posted November 18, 2006 - 12:07 PM

Well i guess I will have to find out for myself, I just put on my 48 to replace my 50, But I will keep my 50 around incase i can't do any good wheelies, anymore, it will have to go......... I went this way instead of going up one tooth on the front as to not make so much difference. Anyone else notice a big difference in just changing two rear teeth smaller???

• pkcof

Posted November 18, 2006 - 12:41 PM

i've been riding with my 45T rear since new and 1st, 2nd and especially 3rd gear wheelies (my favourite) are a blast - even 4th gear is relatively easy with a little help but you're travelling pretty quick !!
i ride lots of single track, up and down mountains and fast flowing fire trails/4WD tracks. I've tried mates bikes with lower gearing and always seem to be looking for another gear between tracks. Seems strange to hear some people say that their bike wheelies in 4th (with a 52T rear) when it's almost geared close to a 45T 3rd gear ... i guess it's just personal preference but i like to have a good top speed as well as carving up the single track - never had a problem with 1st not being low enough !!

• MountainMax

Posted November 18, 2006 - 02:33 PM

Thanks pkcof, i feel much better now, I just put on the sprocket, and sprayed it with anodizing type paint, see thru blue. what do you thinK????

Posted Image

• madroberts07

Posted November 18, 2006 - 08:37 PM

Hey Oasis, do you mean she's harder to wheelie by just going down 2 teeth on the back? I still want to be able to wheelie. how much difference does it make?

I run a 47 tooth rear on my 04 wr450 and it wheelies easy still all the way through 4th and has good top speed on the dirt roads now:thumbsup:

• pkcof

Posted November 18, 2006 - 11:05 PM

[quote name='MountainMax']Thanks pkcof, i feel much better now, I just put on the sprocket, and sprayed it with anodizing type paint, see thru blue. what do you thinK????

looks ok ... and i reckon that you'll like the gearing so much that you'll keep it - just get used to long 3rd gear wheelies
pity that the cog's gonna lose the paint when the chain runs over the teeth, but the rest will look ok for a while

• Wasabi

Posted November 19, 2006 - 08:05 AM

I too was wondering the same thing as I ordered one for my bike (on purpose) to get the RPM's down a little when curising the dirt roads at high speed. However I hope this along with a 120/100 tire won't make harder to wheelie up to 4'th gear as it does now quite easily. Let us all know how it works out for you as it's snowy season up here...........

You will love it Max, I do. I don't go for that imaginary 6th gear as much.
I tried the 15/50 before going to 14/48, I felt 15/50 was too much and not responsive. Wheelie's are still easy, even in 5th! :cheers:

• MountainMax

Posted November 19, 2006 - 11:52 AM

wheelies in 5'th, that i can't do, do you mean just going in 5'th and pulling her up or going up through the gears until you reach 5'th? Again glad to hear most of you guys are happy with the 48 rear sprocket, only one guy said it is not good for wheelies, guess the majority rules.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.