DRZ400 or WR426

5 replies to this topic
  • TonyRomero

Posted December 21, 2001 - 05:15 AM

I am going to buy a new trail bike soon and would like to ask which is better. I have visited all the forums and everyone thinks their brand is the best. I suppose it depends on the type of riding you do. Which of these bikes is all around the better deal, including cost. I can get a new DRZ for $4500, haven't priced a WR yet. I have heard the DRZ handles better but the YAM has a stronger motor.

• z4me

Posted December 21, 2001 - 05:21 AM

They both have their good points. The best thing to do, by far, is to get rides on both of them and see which suits your riding style the best.

• Mike_in_Silicon_valley

Posted December 21, 2001 - 06:20 AM

Tony,
They seem to be giving the DRZ's away. $4,500 seems like a good price. The WR can be ridden to a higher level. But I've seen the DRZ's get up and go too. I remember Scarymyth up at Moab roosting pretty well on his DRZ.

Mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dougie

Posted December 21, 2001 - 07:26 AM

I like to think of the DRZ as a XR400 with a better engine with better potential. But it all depends on the rider too. Mike is right, Scarymyth rides faster on his DRZ than anyone I know on a WR / YZ.

• Bryan Bosch

Posted December 21, 2001 - 08:46 AM

Originally posted by Mike in Silicon valley:
Tony,
They seem to be giving the DRZ's away. $4,500 seems like a good price. The WR can be ridden to a higher level. But I've seen the DRZ's get up and go too. I remember Scarymyth up at Moab roosting pretty well on his DRZ.

Mike

From what I can tell, the DRZ is a better all-around bike for most recreational riders. Easy on you when you are tired with good performance when you want to ride hard. The WR rewards you when you ride hard and probably can be pushed harder bone stock. It can wear you out more quickly because of its harder hitting motor and clearly you have to ride the bike. It will carve turns, however, not as easily as the DRZ. Not a bad thing, it just depends upon your riding style and the shape you are in. The eButton is hands down cool regardless of what you ride. Good luck!

Bryan

• yamaha.dude

Posted December 21, 2001 - 10:31 PM

I went through this process a few months ago... What I did was to disregard the stock things that would have to be changed anyway to suit the individual - ie. Suspension, bars etc. I then compared just the basic frames and motors... The e-button is appealling, but the extra cost of getting the DRZ to go harder (provided that is what you want it to do) was more in the add on engine bits... There is some Nice Yoshimura and other aftermarket stuff, but when you factor that in, it become a more expensive proposition than the stock WR. Then considering the free mods that can be performed on the WR to take it to another level, then the Yamaha wins on the motor count.

The yamaha frame is a more advanced (and has more potential) than the DRZ... The DRZ would be fine with a set of RM USD forks... and you can pop in a RM rear shock easy enough, but revalving and appropriate springs are probably going far enough with either bikes suspension.

After a couple of test rides, and poring over specs, I decided on the WR, because it came with the better motor/frame IMHO. The DRZ has the potential and is not a bad bike, but for me, the WR had more 'out of the crate'.

The DRZ's digital speedo was nice, but you can get a Panoram computer, the E-start was nice, but the WR is easy to light up if you know how...

In summary, ride both, see what appeals, and then look hard at what you want from the bike performance wise... And what sort of riding you do, and what sort of rider you are...

Good luck...

David

[ December 21, 2001: Message edited by: yamaha.dude ]

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.