o6yz450 trails and tribulations

11 replies to this topic
  • The Italian Stallion

Posted November 12, 2006 - 03:23 PM

I bought a new yamaha this year after haveing an 04crf450 for the last 2yrs.I have to say that at first I was not impressed with it .The reason I bought it in the first place was because I hated the front end push on my honda but I never bought the triple clamps for it.I have to say that i was very dissapionted when Itook my new yami that MXA compared it to the falling of the Berlin wall out to the track and it pushed like a fat chick at a chinese buffet!The thing was jetted all wrong it was crapping out and compared to my honda it had the bottom end of a xr400 oh it has nice suspension but i am alot faster on my old honda that i sold to my brother {he put clamps on it and it made a night and day differance
]After doing all the set up on the yami 98mm sag forks at line and the jetting we all know about my "flawed"04 honda still turned way better .Iride hardpacked so I believe my tire is fine. Anyhow my unhappiness with the turniing led me to these mods ! Itrashed the bars and put a set of Renthal fat bar 971 bend on a set of Rg3 22mm offset and I raised the damn forks till the line was 5mm above clamps.NOW it turns better than any biike i have ridden! and i have had no problems with headshake.Now I want honda bottom end anyone know how to get it? I put a 51 on it helped but i want more! please spare me the deceptive power BS:

• Drfletcherdc

Posted November 12, 2006 - 10:37 PM

How much bottom end to you want? Eh?

• crayztwentyseven

Posted November 12, 2006 - 10:49 PM

Find out wich aftermarket pipe has the smallest headerpipe diameter and you will find a pipe that pulls down low. I think yosh or whitebrothers but I am not sure. check it out:ride:

• Ga426owner

Posted November 13, 2006 - 09:17 AM

I bought a new yamaha this year after haveing an 04crf450 for the last 2yrs.I have to say that at first I was not impressed with it .The reason I bought it in the first place was because I hated the front end push on my honda but I never bought the triple clamps for it.I have to say that i was very dissapionted when Itook my new yami that MXA compared it to the falling of the Berlin wall out to the track and it pushed like a fat chick at a chinese buffet!The thing was jetted all wrong it was crapping out and compared to my honda it had the bottom end of a xr400 oh it has nice suspension but i am alot faster on my old honda that i sold to my brother {he put clamps on it and it made a night and day differance
]After doing all the set up on the yami 98mm sag forks at line and the jetting we all know about my "flawed"04 honda still turned way better .Iride hardpacked so I believe my tire is fine. Anyhow my unhappiness with the turniing led me to these mods ! Itrashed the bars and put a set of Renthal fat bar 971 bend on a set of Rg3 22mm offset and I raised the damn forks till the line was 5mm above clamps.NOW it turns better than any biike i have ridden! and i have had no problems with headshake.Now I want honda bottom end anyone know how to get it? I put a 51 on it helped but i want more! please spare me the deceptive power BS:

ok....98mm sag may be your problem....my 06 likes 103-105mm...I do not knowa CRF that does not have front end push....want more bottom...try a DRD or WB pipe....Hot cams and a 470 BB kit.....:cheers:

• Nitroused383

Posted November 13, 2006 - 09:23 AM

Just give me your bike and I'll find you a crf450 somewhere. I wont charge for my services. That should solve the problem.

• grayracer513

Posted November 13, 2006 - 10:59 AM

The RG3 clamps are quite unnecessary. It was the change in the head angle brought about by pulling the forks up that did the most good. Be certain that your weight falls within the range that the bike was built for (175-185 or so).

Ours is at 97mm sag.

The CRF does in fact pull harder off the bottom than the YZF, at least stock. But we run a Dr.D full stainless system on ours, and it gives a noticeable boost. At the Elsinore GP, on asphalt, it really had no trouble with anyone on a CRF pulling away from it from a near stop at the top of Main Street, so, BS or no, I'm afraid you're stuck with that.

Even if you ride hard pack, the OEM D739 is a highly suspect tire, IMO, and there are any number that would work better, the D952 and the Bridgestone M601 to name only two.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • The Italian Stallion

Posted November 13, 2006 - 07:11 PM

Hey what bike beat you in 06 buddy? lol just kidding man! hey i am loyal to whoever makes the best machine.i am 37yrs old I have had all kinds in the 80s cr250 and cr500s.From 94 to 98 kx250s I had a 01 426 befor I had my honda and I loved it the thing was and still is a hammer.3 different friend have had it since me and it has been an anvil.I got the honda for a change.And it was getting good reviews wieght etc I bought the 06 yami because of my fond memories of my 426.The 06 took more setup than expected.I did not feel at home on it off the bat and the power felt sleepy down low.In my opinion they missed the happy medium they were looking for Inthe power dept,wich is the reason this fine machine is not killing all the shootouts

• grayracer513

Posted November 13, 2006 - 07:22 PM

Shootouts are as meaningless as they can possibly be, IMO. My own lap times are lower on the '06 YZF, and I enjoy riding it more. Plus, I'm confident in its reliability. That's why it won my "shootout".

• Troutman

Posted November 13, 2006 - 07:33 PM

That's why it won my "shootout".

Gotta love that quote :cheers:

• aford541

Posted November 13, 2006 - 07:50 PM

Search the 06 450 there is a ton of info on what we have done to improve them with out regurgitating it all over again, power nows, jetting, tps, AP Dr D pipe you are done.

• The Italian Stallion

Posted November 13, 2006 - 08:25 PM

Spoken like a true gentlemen greyracer.Geez I think some of the guys on this post keep a picture of kieth mc carty in there bathroom drawer! and have a dr d shrine on their mantle! Ya know in hindsight I should have got rid of those stupid bars first instead of just makeing 10mm spacers at first.and still useing them with my rg3s with 5mm higher risers I felt better right away with the 971s I do think the clamps help out a little, but i did not give it the drastic improment it did on my honda.When I read that Chad reed ran offset races to steepen rake I did what a layman could do I raised the forks beyond what everyone was doing and no push or recomitting whatsoever.Maybe I did nt need clamps but i was just fead up with pushing front ends.My01426 turned great and had more initial grunt.All things said I love the light wieght feel suspension is great,I trust yamaha reliability,great looking machine,and it turns great now.....but bottom end? will the dr d make me smile? What about vortex ign? what do you think about AP mod?

• The Italian Stallion

Posted November 14, 2006 - 06:40 PM

Yeah I Ithink the magazines are greased to.MXA in particular.The way they wrote the first test on the 06 yz450 was total kiss ass! Ithink they even said it could travel through time.And then the next month "oh the yamaha and honda are caught in a deadlock 450F...off! suitcases and secret handshakes are exchanged all the time for sure! The problem that we have in Canada Greyracerthat you lucky s.o.bs in Cali don t is that for some reason [I don't know why] are forfathers decided to drop there sperm where you freeze your nuts off for half a year! The point I am trying to make here is are season is half of yours .You guys are rideing next year machines long before the current year is over.we don't get that over here.We don't get to ride the new machines till april of next year if we are lucky.You guys get to try out everything early Bikes,parts,products etc sure shootouts are useless to you.your in the motocross epicenter I heard Dr d is going to your house for a BBQ on sat You talk about raceing the elsinore GP flying down main street ? I shot pop out of my nose when i read that!This is stuff we read and dream about.enjoy every minute of it you lucky s.o b's [ that is till your state falls in the ocean]

[
].

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.