XR650L/600R Guys Please Help

8 replies to this topic
  • philipstjohn

Posted November 12, 2006 - 02:28 PM

My buddy bought a 41 mikuni carb to replace the stock carb for his 03 650L. We installed it, and he started with a 250 main, 17.5 pilot, needle in third seat. Current mods are uncorked, K&N filter, Pro Circuit silencer, and he is running at sea level in Florida. Put a new plug in, road tested it, seemed to get to 85 mph much faster, but when we pulled the plug after the test run, it was black? I mean black! It did not seem to be running as "rich" as the plug check suggested. My question is any ideas why or suggestions on which way to go? Also, if anyone could let me know the NKG plug number for a 650L that would be great. We are working without a manual at this point.
Thank Guys...:p:cheers:

• philipstjohn

Posted November 12, 2006 - 06:14 PM

I know this might be a tuff post to answer, but are there any 650L guys out there that know the owner's manual NKG spark plug spec? Please let me know if you can... Thanks...:cheers:

• zodran

Posted November 12, 2006 - 06:33 PM

Clymer's says an NGK DPR8EA-9 gapped at .032 to .036.
I have the factory service manual somewhere.:cheers:

I used the white bros 41 mm mikuni performance kit, prejetted and it runs great. On your's is the choke a little black knob like mine? It's kind of hard to reach, but the bar mount lever I got for it didn't fit into the carb right.
I read mikuni is making a pumper now, hmm.:p

• michhub

Posted November 12, 2006 - 06:37 PM

By plug spec. do you mean NGK DPR8EA-9(X24EPR-U9 Nippondenso), Gap 0.8-0.9(0.031-0.035)...as listed in the factory manual as Standard...?????

MikeH

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • philipstjohn

Posted November 12, 2006 - 06:55 PM

By plug spec. do you mean NGK DPR8EA-9(X24EPR-U9 Nippondenso), Gap 0.8-0.9(0.031-0.035)...as listed in the factory manual as Standard...?????

MikeH

Yes factory specs is what I am looking for. Thank you :cheers:

• skillet

Posted November 14, 2006 - 04:52 AM

Is that a Mikuni flatslide set up for XR's or is it one that came off a Harley? The air screws are very different. That's the little one on the air filter side carb near the outisde of the "cone". If you don't have the right air screw, you'll never get it dialed in right.

• philipstjohn

Posted November 14, 2006 - 05:07 AM

Is that a Mikuni flatslide set up for XR's or is it one that came off a Harley? The air screws are very different. That's the little one on the air filter side carb near the outisde of the "cone". If you don't have the right air screw, you'll never get it dialed in right.

Should we assume since he bought it from XR'S Only it is set up correctly? How do you tell if the air screws are the correct ones? Please let me know if you can. Thanks :cheers:

• cleonard

Posted November 14, 2006 - 01:35 PM

The DPR8EA-9 is a different from the normal D8EA. The P is for a projected electrode. The extra projection helps the ignition preformance and power will be slightly reduced without it. If you need a plug to ride a D8EA will work, just get the proper one later.

• skillet

Posted November 14, 2006 - 04:22 PM

If it came from XRs Only, then I would assume it would be right. You can tell by unscrewing the little bugger just like you would a main jet (only much smaller). It has tiny (hard to read) numbers stamped on it like you see on any other jet. But if it came from them, it should be fine. This is just a common issue for carbs bought on eBay and such.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.