'07 450 Gearing (53/14) Question/Discuss

22 replies to this topic
  • djtroy

Posted December 19, 2006 - 07:14 PM

I have been the proud owner of nothing but 2 stroke dirt bikes since I was a kid. I have never owned anything higher in displacement than a 125cc mx bike. Until 3 weeks ago when I got my 2006 yz 450f. I have been riding a 125 for so long I have found it so difficult to ride this 450f like it should. I feel like I am going all over the gearbox trying to shift and its only because of habits. How do I fix this problem. Sometimes im in 4th gear by mistake but im NOT consistent, im all over the place.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • red7

Posted December 19, 2006 - 07:21 PM

There is no way to use the final gearing to lower first gear without giving up some top speed, but the two front sprocket scheme is a workable compromise.

Any ideas for my 2 front sprocket idea? The track we ride is supercross so it's tight and I rarely need to get out of 2nd and into 3rd on my WR but I'm still very new and the biggest doubles we have are around 35' which I can do reved out in 2nd or comfortable in third. There is a large table top which I can't even try until I get my YZ because my WR suspension bottoms hard if I come up short but I look forward to it on my YZ. Then of course there are the triples which will be awhile but these are the jumps that I'll start having to hit in higher gears to clear.

The trail riding I do isn't really technical so we're moving pretty good most of the time. I think it would be great if I had a rear sprocket that I always kept on and then put on a 13 for track (gearing it down possibly) and then putting on a 14 for trails and gearing up. It's not something I need to run out and do since I won't pick my bike up until I go back to the States on the 2nd.

Thanks again as I'm starting to see the light and understand a little bit about gearing.

• red7

Posted December 19, 2006 - 07:28 PM

I have been the proud owner of nothing but 2 stroke dirt bikes since I was a kid. I have never owned anything higher in displacement than a 125cc mx bike. Until 3 weeks ago when I got my 2006 yz 450f. I have been riding a 125 for so long I have found it so difficult to ride this 450f like it should. I feel like I am going all over the gearbox trying to shift and its only because of habits. How do I fix this problem. Sometimes im in 4th gear by mistake but im NOT consistent, im all over the place.

I doubt it will take long to get used to it. I've only been riding for a few months and my first dirt bike ever was a WR450. I was a little concerned it would be too much bike for me but it just seemed so natural that I often wouldn't have minded even more power even with all of the performance mods I had done. Speed and airtime is definitely addicting! Regarding your question, I do recall shifting way early when I first got my bike because I wasn't used to running at such high RPMs and didn't know what the bike could handle. I quickly realized that I needed to stay in the gears a lot longer. Of course that was a WR450 but coming from a 125 2 stroke I imagine the YZ450 would be a similar situation.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.