dude, where's my spark?

16 replies to this topic
  • Iain

Posted November 12, 2006 - 07:48 AM

I have a 93 650l and it will run for a while, then on the trail, just shut down. and won't start till it cools for a few minutes. I have checked everything I know.

Daves mods

spare coil/spark plug wire

eliminated all the sensors

checked wiring for chaffing.

anyone had a prob like this. I have had to have a truck come and get me on the last two rides, and I think my buddy is about to pour gas on it in the dez and send it to bike hell.

• pigryder

Posted November 12, 2006 - 10:17 AM

so do you have spark? If so check the valves they sound tight...

• Iain

Posted November 12, 2006 - 01:26 PM

so do you have spark? If so check the valves they sound tight...

would tight valves cause the bike to stall mid ride???

I guess as I type this, that makes sense, but I wanna hear someone confirm that a bike running down a long dirt road in 3rd, cruising just decides to stop running.

Sounds fishy. I was thinking CDI.

My bike is kinda hard to start though, especially cold.

thanks

• AlbinoPig

Posted November 12, 2006 - 02:55 PM

I would bet money that even though the coil checks out ok, it is the coil. I had the same thing happen a long time ago. It took me several months and several un-needed parts before the new coil fixed the problem.

When you test the coil, it has already had time to cool down and self-correct the thermally induced short, so it tests out OK.

• xr650l bum

Posted November 12, 2006 - 07:17 PM

I had the same problem 2 months ago! Same bike, same year! It was my CDI. I would put money that is your problem. Dont waste time on all that other stuff. Start there, and if thats not it you have an extra because it will be going soon!

• pigryder

Posted November 13, 2006 - 05:27 AM

Now that I now more of whats going on it sounds like the CDI. A buddies bike did the same thing a few months ago we swapped the CDI with my bike and that did it, same scenario riding along and ....nothing... let it cool and fired up

• Iain

Posted November 13, 2006 - 04:11 PM

I had the same problem 2 months ago! Same bike, same year! It was my CDI. I would put money that is your problem. Dont waste time on all that other stuff. Start there, and if thats not it you have an extra because it will be going soon!

Are the CDI's a weak link in these bikes?

Is there an aftermarket CDI that anyone uses?

• doc8m

Posted November 13, 2006 - 05:22 PM

I'm on a 650r now but for years i rode 89 xr600. needed at least 2 replacement cdi units during that time. if i remember right, one time i needed to replace an electronic sensor on the right side that sends correct timing through the cdi. sorry, i don't remember the exact details.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xr650l bum

Posted November 13, 2006 - 05:55 PM

Are the CDI's a weak link in these bikes?

Is there an aftermarket CDI that anyone uses?

If you call 13-14 years a weak link! I think thats pretty fn good!!

• Iain

Posted November 13, 2006 - 08:17 PM

If you call 13-14 years a weak link! I think thats pretty fn good!!

true, but it doesnt' sound like I am the only one that has the failure. This bike only has 8000 miles on it. I work on helicopters and if something failed at that short of an interval , we would be looking for another provider of that part.:cheers:

• xr650l bum

Posted November 13, 2006 - 08:23 PM

Come on! You would go through a 14 year old helicopter front and back replacing parts just in routine maintenance. If not I don't want to fly with you!

• Iain

Posted November 14, 2006 - 06:10 PM

actually, most of the parts are based on time used in flight, not sitting around. 8000 miles at 40mph average is 200 hours. 200 hrs is very little time. Most of our parts don't get overhauled until 5000 hours. or 20,000 miles.

That's aviation wide bud, so whoever you are flying with plays by the same rules. Plus, like me and my problem with this CDI, who wants to replace a substandard part every 2 years. With the upteen bikes I have had over the years, this would be the first time I have ever had to replace a CDI, let alone heard anyone else having to.

I know you are true blue to this bike, and love it, but a spade is a spade man.

• suharianu

Posted November 14, 2006 - 11:11 PM

Check alternator could be shorting when hot.it supplies the high voltage to
cdi

• winter420

Posted November 15, 2006 - 07:13 PM

Check your stator . Try to close your plug gap to the minimun gap or less. Try it like that, It might work for a ride or two. Do an ohm reading on the stator. My guess that is your problem.:cheers:

• winter420

Posted November 15, 2006 - 07:39 PM

Check your stator . Try to close your plug gap to the minimun gap or less. Try it like that, It might work for a ride or two. I did that and needed a tow out . I Replaced my stator and all has been good . P.s. I changed coil and cdi neither changed my hard starting condition !!! It might start cold and run but when I got 3 miles in the woods it would not restart. At first I closed my plug gap and it would be o.k. The problem only got worse leading to the stator. I hope this helps. Bob from maine.

• xr650rkyle

Posted November 16, 2006 - 09:12 AM

My 95 xr600r had no spark, This is what I did:

Go to the auto parts store and get a spark gap tester.
then buy a aftermarket stator from RICKEY STATOR
(200w of lighting coil! and a new starting coil, wound in one)

THIS will get you spark!

IF that does not do it replace the coil,

Then finally replace the CDI, if above does not work

The Spark all starts with POWER from your stator!

xr600/650's stators tend to have a weak spark anyway and then they go south after 10 years or so.

Good luck

• jc5326

Posted November 18, 2006 - 12:19 PM

Check pulse generator.

Bought my '94 XRL last year with 1800 on OD (can never really tell) and fairly clean but dropped a few times bike. Prev. owner stated he had problems stalling after warmed up and jiggled the plug wire to fix(he believed it to be a grounding problem). Well, at first I tried that too but replaced as it had many frayed wires on inspection...hoped that would do it but I still had stalling issues. :p

Pulled out the multi-testor and ran an electrical test that pointed to Pulse Generator out of bounds. Dx was that once PG warmed up it would break. Replaced it and problem ceased.

So likely the previous owner while jiggling plug wire did it long enough for PG to cool off.

Anyway, that was my fix for same symptoms as you.

Good luck.:cheers:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.